Enough Of Pattaya

Theo007

Cebu or Subic Bay or Boracay, Philippines. I just got back and those lovely Fipinos deserve all the good luck because they earn it. So friendly and welcoming. Absolutely NO bad attitude. Foreigners receive the welcome mat and everyone speaks English.

Here's the airport welcoming committee laying out the welcome mat to newly arrived tourists from Hong Kong just last year.

Victims of the Manila bus hijack have been flown back to Hong Kong, two days after the deadly siege which left eight tourists dead.

Do you really want some person to detail all of the horrific crimes against tourists and expats in Thailand? Give us a break! The rate of violent crime is actually higher in Thailand than in the Philippines, but crime is becoming a problem all over. In Thailand--specifically places like Pattaya, Jomtien, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Hua Hin, Koh Samui--the amount of crimes committed against foreigners has soared over the past decade. Ten to twenty years ago I never thought about crime in Thailand; now I do, unfortunately.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very interesting but getting off topic.

I do not think the OP wants to move out of commuting distance of Pattaya, I think he is looking for a house or a condo that is not too expensive and close to water, any suggestions?

I do not think the OP wants to move out of commuting distance of Pattaya, I think he is looking for a house or a condo that is not too expensive and close to water, any suggestions?

OK, please tell us more about Ban Amphur--restaurants and rental prices of condos there (simple one bedroom with ocean view). I too am curious about alternative places near Pattaya all the way to Rayong city, that is, south to Sattahip, east around the bend past Ban Chang, then south again to Rayong. And I am also interested in condo rental prices. As an aside, when trying to find a condo for rent, is it wise to simply not use any of the real estate agencies? I am asking because they seem to only deal with "suckers" looking to rent "cell blocks" at "grossly inflated prices."

OK, please tell us more about Ban Amphur--restaurants and rental prices of condos there (simple one bedroom with ocean view). I too am curious about alternative places near Pattaya all the way to Rayong city, that is, south to Sattahip, east around the bend past Ban Chang, then south again to Rayong. And I am also interested in condo rental prices. As an aside, when trying to find a condo for rent, is it wise to simply not use any of the real estate agencies? I am asking because they seem to only deal with "suckers" looking to rent "cell blocks" at "grossly inflated prices."

Most condos and apartments in Thailand are little more than cell blocks. You can have a single cell block, or two side by side cell blocks or three etc. Your cell block will be entered via a long corridor with flickering lights, there will be the usual seedy characters hanging around, the usual noise from TV's and open doors and quite often an unpleasant toilety odour. Thats property in Thailand for the most part.

Just decide where you want your cell block to be located, look at a number and make an offer significantly below the asking price and see if you get any takers. There are lots of empty units out there and lots of desperate landlord to go with them. And yes, try to avoid the agents, they are getting a big cut and the better bargains will be direct.

post-35218-0-18245900-1304247336_thumb.j

Angeles City has the attractions which brought most of us to Pattaya. The cost of the girl is included in the bar fine so in most cases it works out cheaper, and the other plus is, they speak English.

Angeles City is more expensive if you find girls in bars, pay barfines and give them tips. What do you actually talk with them about, in English??

Just go south of Pattaya, plenty of areas with beaches which are not developed. Follow the coast, easy.

Yeah I think the water thing is sorta missing in Angeles; except in rainy season when Fields turns into a river.

However, there is a real river here in Phnom Penh and the beer is cold and good and the natives friendly.

I agree about Cambodia. Sinhoukville is great for a quiet life, relatively unspoilt beaches, none of the continual hastle from vendors we get here. Occidental food is more readily available, baguettes etc on the beaches and many cheap French style restaurants. Prostitutes are not so easy to find as it is illegal in Cambodia and it seems they try to enforce it. The people are much friendlier and the smiles seem genuine as if they really are happy to see you and not just your money!

Forget these other countries. They don't have decent hospitals. Okay, but if you have an emergency, you better have some good insurance because you'll need to be med evacuated. Ever been in one of those 3rd world hospitals??

How about burglaries? I heard there are many problems with that in BA?

Nahhh there is nobody here :D

It does happen but its generally too dark for anyone to find our place at night, we also have CCD cameras. alarms on every window and door, motion sensors, sirens and a 2 1/2 meter wall, not to mention razor wire guard posts and 5 Doberman dogs.....

are you sure you don't live at the Pattaya Remand? ;)

Mabarachan lake area is good, Pong village, nice Thai people few bars and the lake. beaches of ban saray not to far away, the new 7 road to get into patts, 36 road to link upto bangkok or run for cambodia. shops here are cheaper than Tesco, carrefore on most things, just means having to fo to a few shops instead of one. 9999 bar good group of expats,leo 29 baht, san mig 40 baht.

perfect for me, ride out into the country makes a nice change on the bike.

Edited by NALAK

Agents charge landlords 10% rental commission so you would save at least that by going direct if not more.

I subscribe to this forum because I plan to retire to SE Asia in a year or two. Thailand has always been my favorite, although I am aware that a 2 week visit as a tourist can give one a very distorted view. I have been to Cambodia and the Phillipines. The Cambodian people are very nice but the country is sorely lacking in adequate public sanitation. When I have been to the Phillipines, I always come away with the sense that the government is very corrupt and only stays in power by force. I have not been to the Cebu or Boracay area. I plan to visit in the future. Pattya was a blast, but I'm sure one gets weary of the commercial sex scene. I am wondering if Chiang Mai is a better alternative for long term living. A gay Thai freind suggested I check out Hua Hin. I look forward to your comments.

I subscribe to this forum because I plan to retire to SE Asia in a year or two. Thailand has always been my favorite, although I am aware that a 2 week visit as a tourist can give one a very distorted view. I have been to Cambodia and the Phillipines. The Cambodian people are very nice but the country is sorely lacking in adequate public sanitation. When I have been to the Phillipines, I always come away with the sense that the government is very corrupt and only stays in power by force. I have not been to the Cebu or Boracay area. I plan to visit in the future. Pattya was a blast, but I'm sure one gets weary of the commercial sex scene. I am wondering if Chiang Mai is a better alternative for long term living. A gay Thai freind suggested I check out Hua Hin. I look forward to your comments.

When the time for retirement comes, go stay in above mention city's for a month or two each place and then make up your mind, we are all different and will prefer one over the other.

I live in the outskits of Pattaya with my famlie and are happy here and don't care about/use the bar girls, but are allowed to look, he-he.

Ko Chang .I had thought of living there before Chiang Mai .Too many mossies though .

Yes, and Malaria Carriers as well,hence the Treatment Post on the Island.

The unstated assumption is that the "malaria carriers" are there (Koh Chang) and not here (Pattaya/Jomtien). That is a false assumption.

Yes, it's odd considering both,Koh Chang and Pattaya/Jomtien, show on the Malarial Map Areas as : Low to no Risk ?

Edited by MAJIC

There are many hidden gems in Naklua. Wong Amat is a nice beach. However, the beach area is on its way to being over developed, but it is years behind Pattaya beach.

Please allow me to correct you: Wong Amat WAS a nice beach. Have you been there lately? The beach is almost entirely eroded away, it is strewn with rubbish plus I doubt if there are any council services removing rubbish, the pathway is severely eroded and downright dangerous in many parts, the cracked pathway has resulted in damaged pipes so there is sewage seeping into the sea every 50m or so from the many classy (haha) condos/hotels there. All that is missing now are the gogo bars and jet ski shysters to complete the destruction of a once very lovely beach.

Cebu or Subic Bay or Boracay, Philippines. I just got back and those lovely Fipinos deserve all the good luck because they earn it. So friendly and welcoming. Absolutely NO bad attitude. Foreigners receive the welcome mat and everyone speaks English.

Great for a holiday, but I wouldn't want to live there (and I did for 4 years).

Just wondering if you're living in Pattaya now or ever have lived here. I keep hearing varying opinions of Cebu, a place that I'm curious about, and was wondering if you're comparing living there to living in Pattaya. I'm living in the Pattaya area due to my employment situation, and although I appreciate being able to buy some western type food products, I can't stand the place, for the most part. Once my contract is up, I was thinking about giving Cebu a try.

I know all 3 of the places very well, and can say with confidence that none are remotely comparable to Pattaya and would not suffice as suitable alternatives.

I know all 3 of the places very well, and can say with confidence that none are remotely comparable to Pattaya and would not suffice as suitable alternatives.

Thanks for the good news Tropo, so Cebu, Subic Bay, Boracay have not yet been ruined by misguided development, grossly inflated prices, crime, and anti-foreigner attitudes/policies. Good!

Thanks for the good news Tropo, so Cebu, Subic Bay, Boracay have not yet been ruined by misguided development, grossly inflated prices, crime, and anti-foreigner attitudes/policies. Good!

You must not have ever been to the Philippines. Thailand is far safer and far superior as a place to live.

As per usual you're jumping to conclusions. The infrastructure, crime, local policies, corruption etc in Boracay, Subic Bay and Cebu by comparison make Pattaya seem like a good approximation of paradise.

Regarding anti-foreigner attitude/policies - you will be scammed from the time you arrive in Manila (the stories I could tell you). Over the last several years I've been disturbed over the number of expats murdered in various locations in PI.

For a person like yourself who continually complains about the direction and development of Pattaya I would highly recommend you don't visit because you will be absolutely shocked.

You'd have to ask yourself why Tropo has lived in Pattaya with his Filipino wife for nearly 6 years.

As per usual you're jumping to conclusions. The infrastructure, crime, local policies, corruption etc in Boracay, Subic Bay and Cebu by comparison make Pattaya seem like a good approximation of paradise.

Regarding anti-foreigner attitude/policies - you will be scammed from the time you arrive in Manila (the stories I could tell you). Over the last several years I've been disturbed over the number of expats murdered in various locations in PI.

For a person like yourself who continually complains about the direction and development of Pattaya I would highly recommend you don't visit because you will be absolutely shocked.

You'd have to ask yourself why Tropo has lived in Pattaya with his Filipino wife for nearly 6 years.

The above may well be the most informative post ever posted by tropo.

As someone who has visited the PI, I will never return.

The wifes Filipino friends would rather visit her in Thailand than have her visit the PI.

Be more inclined to worry about Dengue fever at the moment,a friend of mine caught it last September...there's no cure!!

Ko Chang .I had thought of living there before Chiang Mai .Too many mossies though .

Yes, and Malaria Carriers as well,hence the Treatment Post on the Island.

The unstated assumption is that the "malaria carriers" are there (Koh Chang) and not here (Pattaya/Jomtien). That is a false assumption.

Many thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have any information regarding Trang Beach in Vietnam?

You mean Nha Trang. on the central coast.

Well you could start off with a google photo query.

I havent been there, but i did go by there on the train from Hanoi to Saigon.

Unlike the unremarkable mainland Thai coast . ( that a Californian or Australian would not visit for the beaches)

The Vietnam Central Coast is beautiful with island clear water .

Prostitutes are not so easy to find as it is illegal in Cambodia and it seems they try to enforce it. The people are much friendlier and the smiles seem genuine as if they really are happy to see you and not just your money!

hmmmm.... just like Pattaya circa 1967....

But I digress. Without the OP specifying what aspect of Pattaya living he/she has 'had it' with, this is just a thread full of postulation and conjecture. As someone already mentioned, some suggestions my be 'more of the same' for the OP. Give us half a clue and you may get half the answer.

Edited by NanLaew