The Greatest Moment

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last Ashes series was something special and I can always remember that goal Fashanua scored for Norwich with the red and white ball (god knows why).

I remember that goal too. If memory serves me right, I think Barry Davies was commentating. "Oh, what a goal. What a goal!"

That was the first and last thing that Justin did right. He had a torrid time after his big money move to European champions Nottingham Forest. Committed suicide, didn't he?

His brother John seemed to do much better overall despite playing mainly for Wimbledon.

The last Ashes series was something special and I can always remember that goal Fashanua scored for Norwich with the red and white ball (god knows why).

I remember that goal too. If memory serves me right, I think Barry Davies was commentating. "Oh, what a goal. What a goal!"

That was the first and last thing that Justin did right. He had a torrid time after his big money move to European champions Nottingham Forest. Committed suicide, didn't he?

His brother John seemed to do much better overall despite playing mainly for Wimbledon.

Mark McGuire hitting number 62 .

Billy Bowden knocking off the bails to signal the end of the ashes this year thus bringing to an end the best sporting series I have ever seen. Two teams at each other from the opening day to the final day. No respite, no quarter given.

Shame it was such an anti climax but after all of the drama of the Summer I for one was glad of a peacful moment.

Whats up there for u...

The first Mike Tyson v Evander Holyfield fight is something special....

Its not like a soccer match, where the players will face each other time and time again....these kind of fights are history from the first bell.....

The greatest ever fight I have seen would have to be Marvin Hagler v Tommy Hearns in 1985. They went at it right from the first bell and pounded the crap out of each other for 4 rounds before Hagler eventually knocked out Hearns.

Other great moments would have to be Man Utd dramatic comeback in injury time in the European Cup Final against Barcelona. Too have been outplayed for most of the game and then score not 1, but 2 goals in injury time was amazing.

Michael Johnson is probably the greatest athlete of his generation. To win the 200 and 400 meters at the Atlanta Olympics was one of the greatest ever performances from an athlete at the Olympics. I believe he still holds the world record for both events.

Yep the Hitman v Hagler, they were good fights, Botham in the ashes, Redgrave winning his 5th Gold medal (was actually there for that) but the best sporting moment for me, wilko and the kick (again, because I was there, makes it all the much sweeter)

And just to show Im not just for the English in this, Steve Waugh's last competative match when he banged in a 100+, great stuff to watch

Edited by Prudent_rabbit

Australia 11 winning the Americas Cup from the New York Yacht Club in 1983.

The oldest active trophy in international sport had been held by the Americans since 1851.

Australia ended the longest winning streak in sports history. It was broadcast in the early hours in Oz and very little sleep was had by millions :o

post-18822-1128416113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Old Croc

Billy Bowden knocking off the bails to signal the end of the ashes this year thus bringing to an end the best sporting series I have ever seen. Two teams at each other from the opening day to the final day. No respite, no quarter given.

Yep, that was one for me also.

The greatest ever fight I have seen would have to be Marvin Hagler v Tommy Hearns in 1985. They went at it right from the first bell and pounded the crap out of each other for 4 rounds before Hagler eventually knocked out Hearns.

Yep the Hitman v Hagler, they were good fights

And that one.

Others for me, Sugar Ray Leonard fighting Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns. Loved watching Sugar Ray fight.

Also, being a Man City fan. Wembley in the Play Off's against Gillingham. We was 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go. We equalised and won on Penalties. Had it gone the other way, that would have been a long drive back to Manchester :o

dennis taylor winning the snooker is up there for me

Ole Steve Davis will never forget that easy miss on the black to gift Dennis Taylor the title...I'm sure it niggles at him every day to realise that he could be sharing the mantle with Stephen Hendry on 7 world titles.

Wilko's drop goal and Redbrave's 5th gold. A major downer was Lindford being disqualified for his famous 'B of the bang' starting strategy biting him in the ass in '96.

I was lucky enough to be able to fly to New York to watch Naseem Hamed knock out Kevin Kelley in 4 rounds at MSG in 1997.

He had the potential to become one of the all time greats .

Unfortunately he disappeared up his own a r s e....

But for that night only , he was magic , and the Yanks were silenced.

:o

I was lucky enough to be able to fly to New York to watch Naseem Hamed knock out Kevin Kelley in 4 rounds at MSG in 1997.

i was at that fight too there was more fighting in the seats.good night

Was that the "Prince" guy, who used to say that "I refuse to lose"...and before his fights say " I feel wicked"...he always had alot to say, very fuuny.....what ever happened to him?...I think I watched him lose to a South American fighter, or maybe not, cant remember now.....I think the way the the SA fighjter beat him, is just by covering up like a shell, and making him come in to u...coz he was a great counter puncher and u had to make him come close to get some glove on him, which no one did until the SA figher...if Im thinking of the same guy....

Was that the "Prince" guy, who used to say that "I refuse to lose"...and before his fights say " I feel wicked"...he always had alot to say, very fuuny.....what ever happened to him?...I think I watched him lose to a South American fighter, or maybe not, cant remember now.....I think the way the the SA fighjter beat him, is just by covering up like a shell, and making him come in to u...coz he was a great counter puncher and u had to make him come close to get some glove on him, which no one did until the SA figher...if Im thinking of the same guy....

yeah it was marco antonio barrera ,it was funny that fight he had a tv crew with him all through his training andin his hotel coming up to the fight (i didnt like him)so it was more humiliating for him.i went to the kevin kelly fight and the wayne mccullagh in atlantic city(which i thought he lost)met him in a club after and disliked him even more.a lot of his appeal for selling tickets was people wanted to see him lose.he never faught again after the barrerra fight

Also, being a Man City fan. Wembley in the Play Off's against Gillingham. We was 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go. We equalised and won on Penalties. Had it gone the other way, that would have been a long drive back to Manchester  :o

That I think was the only match in English history that was fixed. There was no way they could let the Gills go up a division. Their ground was not big enough. I think the ref allowed 6 or 7 mins of injury time till Man City did score. A few comments from players and pundits after that suggested that was what happened anyway.

I'm a stickler for tradition though. For me. England winning the World Cup in 1966. Another sporting moment for me was seeing Colin Cowdray walking out to face Wes Hall and Charlie Grif with a broken arm.

Edited by lampard10

Also, being a Man City fan. Wembley in the Play Off's against Gillingham. We was 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go. We equalised and won on Penalties. Had it gone the other way, that would have been a long drive back to Manchester  :o

That I think was the only match in English history that was fixed. There was no way they could let the Gills go up a division. Their ground was not big enough. I think the ref allowed 6 or 7 mins of injury time till Man City did score. A few comments from players and pundits after that suggested that was what happened anyway.

I'm a stickler for tradition though. For me. England winning the World Cup in 1966. Another sporting moment for me was seeing Colin Cowdray walking out to face Wes Hall and Charlie Grif with a broken arm.

……that reminds me, back in ’84 I ended up in a isolation unit in the UK, an old depressing hospital called Joyce Green. I had caught Hepatitis here in Thailand and all I had for company in my room was a small TV, England were playing one of the greatest West Indian teams and the Late Great Malcolm Marshall was batting and bowling with his hand in plaster!

There were lots of matches fixed in the early 60's In 1964, three Sheffield Wednesday players were involved in a match fixing and betting scandal. Tony Kay was a great player destined for greater things was imprisoned and banned for life (He had just been transferred to Everton), Peter Swann - banned for life - ban lifted in 1972 and David 'Broncho' Layne - banned for life - ban lifted in 1972. Check the story on http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0...1250123,00.html

Davie Cooper scoring a penalty against Wales. The night Jock Stein died. RIP Both now no longer with us. Davie Cooper a great player. Jock Stein a great manager. Even Johan Cryff rated Cooper. That night will always stick in my head. I was 11 then. For the goal which took us to the 86 World cup and also for the loss of the great big man Jock Stein. RIP Both of you.