The Greatest Moment

Something just ate my post!!! So, again...

Did we have to be there/see it?

If not, then either Banister breaking the 4 minute or Cooper decking Ali (talk about fixed results!)

If we did, the either England kicking the Argies ouuta the last World Cup, or Wilco's final drop kick that stunned the nation (Oz! :o ) last Bill (William Webb Ellis Trophy - RWC)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something just ate my post!!! So, again...

Did we have to be there/see it?

If not, then either Banister breaking the 4 minute or Cooper decking Ali (talk about fixed results!)

If we did, the either England kicking the Argies ouuta the last World Cup, or Wilco's final drop kick that stunned the nation (Oz!  :o ) last  Bill (William Webb Ellis Trophy - RWC)

Wolf....yeh...ahhhhhh that hurt when JW kick that goal.....even the kiwi blokes that where with me where mad...anybody but the Poms...anybody !!!

And who can forget Gazza's goal against the scots at Wembley.

and Eric Cantonas flying dropkick to a spectators chest against Crystal palace.

:D

or my favorite, Maradonas "hand of God " goal in the 1986 World Cup.

Cantona's was good but the fat, snorting cheat is right at the bottom of the heap :o

right where u should be...

And who can forget Gazza's goal against the scots at Wembley.

and Eric Cantonas flying dropkick to a spectators chest against Crystal palace.

or my favorite, Maradonas "hand of God " goal in the 1986 World Cup.

Cantona's was good but the fat, snorting cheat is right at the bottom of the heap :D

right where u should be...

I actually had you in mind when typing that. Would seem rather apt come to think of it with your obvious obsession with the above forum.

Yeah, the ref couldn't help you out on the drop goal, I'm afraid. Game over pal. :D:o:D

The unlikliest moments in Sport.

Sporting events that were so obvious no bets were taken.

Australia holding on to the ashes 2005

Australia beating Bangladash in one day international.

England beating Northern Ireland

Uraguay beating Australia

So there it goes . You have a good chance. Unless of course Supershite tips Australia. Someone ought to give him a backhander to tip Uraguay. Or better still just give him a back hander.

Future Great Moment in sport...

Australia knocking England out of next years World Cup......and watching the English fans in the aftermath...

:D:D

Dream on Super_Shite. I truly believe you are on Drugs................very strong one's me thinks :o

JBangles...should u be training the English squad with Fast Eddie.....after all u and him can do a better job.... :D

The unlikliest moments in Sport.

Sporting events that were so obvious no bets were taken.

Australia holding on to the ashes 2005

Australia beating Bangladash in one day international.

England beating Northern Ireland

Uraguay beating Australia

So there it goes . You have a good chance. Unless of course Supershite tips Australia. Someone ought to give him a backhander to tip Uraguay. Or better still just give him a back hander.

Whoooo...The fly is going to enjoy having a beer at ur bar Lampard..... :D

I may wait until England has been beaten like dogs and sent packing from the World Cup before I do.....just so I can laugh more at ur face.... :o

Future Great Moment in sport...

Australia knocking England out of next years World Cup......and watching the English fans in the aftermath...

:D:D

Dream on Super_Shite. I truly believe you are on Drugs................very strong one's me thinks :o

JBangles...should u be training the English squad with Fast Eddie.....after all u and him can do a better job.... :D

I'm just waiting for the T's and C's in the contract, to be sorted :D

Back on Topic:

The day Ali saw death:

alifrazier5mz.jpg

THE vanquished lay on a bed in semi-darkness, unable to recognise loved ones because his eyes were reduced to slits, while the victor's brain would take 20 hours to recuperate.

The brutality of the October 1, 1975, heavyweight championship in Manila between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier later led Ali to say he had seen death on that day.

That fight, 30 years ago, was the third and final act in the Ali-Frazier trilogy, which began at New York's Madison Square Garden over 15 rounds on March 8, 1971.

Both went into the first fight undefeated and Frazier clearly won that bout. Any doubt was blown away by Frazier's savage left hook in the 15th that decked Ali.

Ali bravely got up and finished on his feet, a loser for the first time in his professional career.

On January 28, 1974, they faced up again at the same venue, the differences being the distance was 12 rounds and a championship belt wasn't up for grabs.

Still, the desire was there. Ali was desperate to avenge his 1971 loss and Smokin' Joe just hated the man he called Clay – a hatred that endures to this day.

The second fight was a fizzer, the pair clinching and holding more than fighting.

Ali won on points and it seemed their rivalry would end there.

After that fight few counted on Ali slaying another formidable foe when he somehow conjured up a way to beat world champion George Foreman on October 30, 1974, in Kinshasa, Zaire.

That win set the scene for Ali-Frazier III, the championship belt again up for grabs in the unlikely setting of Manila after the opportunistic Philippines president Ferdinand Marcos jumped at the chance to host the fight.

Ali arrived with an entourage of 50, a group that included some of the greatest low-rent hustlers known to mankind.

And then there was the stunning Veronica Porche, who, unbeknown to his second wife, Belinda, had been Ali's mistress for a year.

When Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos invited Ali and Frazier to their palace, Ali took his parents, Cassius and Odessa, his trainer Angelo Dundee and Porche, who later became his third wife.

Marcos did what most men would do on seeing Porche, compliment Ali on his companion. "You have a beautiful wife," Marcos said, as photographers snapped away.

Ali didn't correct the mistake and, when it hit the US papers, his wife caught the first available plane to Manila.

Belinda spent a lively hour with her husband, providing Ali with some extra sparring before explaining how she would break the back "of that bitch when I see her", and then flew straight home.

Ali was the favourite, given he had knocked Foreman out.

And Big Bad George had destroyed Frazier in Kingston, Jamaica, two years earlier.

Frazier was considered washed up, but the odds makers weren't counting on the emotion and pride Smokin' Joe could muster once he stepped in the ring.

Ali belittled Frazier at every opportunity leading up to the fight.

This extract from a press conference explains some of Frazier's hatred:

"I'm gonna . . . ," Frazier began.

"I'm going to, not I'm gonna. Talk intelligent," Ali interrupted.

The Ali sycophants, which included a healthy proportion of the press contingent, laughed.

They laughed louder when Ali pulled a rubber gorilla from his pocket and began beating on it, screaming: "Come on gorilla, we're in Manila. Come on gorilla, this is a thrilla."

And a thriller it was, the most brutal hand-to-hand combat witnessed in the ring since the Marquess of Queensberry introduced the basic rules in 1867. The fight began at 10.45am, timed for closed-circuit TV in the US, with 25,000 packed into the Philippines Coliseum.

Ali came out with flashing fists, or, in his own words, "peckin' and a pokin', pouring water on Joe's smokin".

He dominated the early stages, but Frazier, grunting and wiping his face with his gloves to signify "let's get it on", kept on shuffling forward.

In Round 6 Frazier hit Ali with one of the greatest left hooks ever thrown. After regaining his senses and somehow staying on his feet, Ali muttered through a bloodied mouth: "They told me Joe Frazier was washed up."

Before setting himself for another left hook, Frazier answered: "They lied." And then he got back to the business he was born for, one-on-one combat.

The turning point came in the 12th when Ali staggered Frazier with an overhand right.

More of the same came in the 13th. Frazier's mouthguard was knocked into the crowd.

By the 14th, Ali was landing unanswered blows. Frazier's eyes were so swollen he could no longer see the deadly missiles.

His trainer Eddie Futch didn't muck around, stopping the fight as Frazier protested.

Little did they know Ali had returned to his corner at the end of the round and instructed his trainer to cut his gloves off.

Dundee ignored the request, knowing Ali would go one more round.

Frazier was recently in Australia at a fight promotion.

He agreed to be interviewed on one condition: There be no mention of Ali. His comments in a 1990 interview with Thomas Hauser might explain why:

"I hated Ali. God might not like me talking that way, but I hated that man. First he made me a white man, then he made me a nigger.

"I'd like to fight Ali, Clay, whatever his name is again tomorrow. I still want to take him apart piece by piece.

"I will say this. In the ring he was a man. In Manila I hit him with punches that would have knocked a building down. And he took 'em. I gotta respect that part of the man."

When Ali reflected on Manila in 1993, the bitterness felt by Frazier wasn't evident, although those who were close to the fighters in the 1970s will tell you Ali was unnecessarily cruel to his foe.

"I'm sorry Joe is mad at me and I'm sorry I hurt him because he's a good man," Ali said.

"And if God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe fighting beside me."

seconds ticking down............................Starr takes the snap and sneaks into the end zone.......................and on the frozen tundra the Green Bay Packers are the NFL champs..........1967 and onto the FIRST superbowl...................THE ICEBOWL!!

Probably a great Moment in USA sport , the rest of the World remained blissfully unmoved... :o

Edited by chonabot

87 Canada cup vs the RussIAnz, Gretzky to Lemieux game winner in OT 

wow wowowow

and the paul henderson goal way back

You can't be serious! You are talking about the biggest shame in ice hockey history. I've never seen referees so weighted. Russians were so much better than Canadians but referees gave penalties for Russians for any reasons and disallowed goals made by Russians. Disgusting :o

Until that game I was always for Canadians against Russians because I was fed up with Russians' superiority but I just couldn't accept so much unfair play to win the game.

Are Canadian ice hockey fans really that blind or exaggeratedly patriotically disposed that they couldn't see the injustice?

I saw Sugar Ray Leonard fight Tommy Hearns at Ceasers Las Vegas Sept. of '81. It was at night under bright lights and we were sitting close enough to see the sweat spray off their heads when they got hit. Sugar Ray was getting nowhere hitting Hearns in the head so he went to the body round after round. Eventually Hearns arms came down and Leonard went back up to the head. What a great fight. They say the referee was a little quick with calling the fight over but from what I saw Hearns was sliding sideways along the ropes and he wasn't throwing any punches. Both fighters headed back to the showers with their arms thrown over the shoulders of their crew.

Afterwards in the bar Joe Frazier came over and sat at our table and had a couple of drinks. He signed my fight ticket. Nice guy. I should have had the camera girl come over to take a picture but Joe was so cool to sit with us I passed on it. I saw Sugar Ray Robinson and Larry Holmes too.

Edited by aughie

Davie Cooper scoring a penalty against Wales. The night Jock Stein died. RIP Both now no longer with us. Davie Cooper a great player. Jock Stein a great manager. Even Johan Cryff rated Cooper.  That night will always stick in my head. I was 11 then. For the goal which took us to the 86 World cup and also for the loss of the great big man Jock Stein. RIP Both of you.

I'm surprised thye Scots on this forum havent commented on this.

Davie Cooper scoring a penalty against Wales. The night Jock Stein died. RIP Both now no longer with us. Davie Cooper a great player. Jock Stein a great manager. Even Johan Cryff rated Cooper.  That night will always stick in my head. I was 11 then. For the goal which took us to the 86 World cup and also for the loss of the great big man Jock Stein. RIP Both of you.

I'm surprised thye Scots on this forum havent commented on this.

At the time I must have been about the same age as yourself. I remember it was a dubious penalty decision that Davie Cooper scored the penalty with. If I remember correctly, there was about 10 minutes left. Even at that young age, I couldn't bare the tension and had to hide in a cupboard for the last 10 minutes.

My most memorable Scotland moment would have to be the time we beat England 1-0 at Hampden with a Richard Gough header in 1985. I stood on the open terrace with my old man for 90 minutes and there was torrential rain for the whole game. By the end of the match we were totally soaked. Once the game had finished it was more or less impossible to get a train back to Central Station so we had to walk the 4 miles back up town . The walk was memorable because it was the happiest I have ever seen my fellow Scots in the rain. We had just beaten the Auld Enemy and nothing was going to spoil the party. :o

Edited by Spit the Dog

Four pages of a thread about the greatest moments in sporting history, and not a SINGLE mention of Muhammad Ali yet?

Shame on you guys.

The Rumble in the Jungle versus Joe Frazier . . . . . A sporting event that surpasses sport and has since been immortalised in both a classic book (by Norman Mailer) and a movie.

Ali was (and remains) more than a great athlete.  He is iconic in a way that no sportsman ever will be again.

Boxing has never been one of my favourite sports.

Give me Rugby, Cricket and soccer, most days.

In for those sports their are many contenders: any victory by the Welsh superstars of the 70's rugby team - Lion's victories over the All Blacks; (as mentioned earlier) Colin Cowdrie's unbelievably brave innings with an arm in plaster against the world's two fastest bowlers; any time Everton has won the Championship or the FA Cup (I've got a good memory).

But there has never been -nor I am certain will ever be - a sporting event, and a victory, that can compare with The Rumble in the Jungle.

For those of us alive at the time in was a truly magnificent spectacle.

Thank God it has been "immortalised in both a classic book (by Norman Mailer) and a movie"

For those of you who have never seen it, try and get hold of the movie, or read the book.

I am sure you will agree, without doubt, The Rumble in the Jungle captures the greatest event in sporting history.

Four pages of a thread about the greatest moments in sporting history, and not a SINGLE mention of Muhammad Ali yet?

Shame on you guys.

The Rumble in the Jungle versus Joe Frazier . . . . . A sporting event that surpasses sport and has since been immortalised in both a classic book (by Norman Mailer) and a movie.

Ali was (and remains) more than a great athlete.  He is iconic in a way that no sportsman ever will be again.

In for those sports their are many contenders: any victory by the Welsh superstars of the 70's rugby team - Lion's victories over the All Blacks; (as mentioned earlier) Colin Cowdrie's unbelievably brave innings with an arm in plaster against the world's two fastest bowlers; any time Everton has won the Championship or the FA Cup (I've got a good memory).

But there has never been -nor I am certain will ever be - a sporting event, and a victory, that can compare with The Rumble in the Jungle.

Thank God it has been "immortalised in both a classic book (by Norman Mailer) and a movie"

For those of you who have never seen it, try and get hold of the movie, or read the book.

I am sure you will agree, without doubt, The Rumble in the Jungle captures the greatest event in sporting history.

Some news reports (unconfirmed) coming from the US today suggest Ali is very ill, unable to talk and has only a few months to live. :o

Shame on you guys.

Some news reports (unconfirmed) coming from the US today suggest Ali is very ill, unable to talk and has only a few months to live. :o

You know, Croc, this news has actually made me cry.

He is, and always will be the Greatest.

Why can't young Muslims aspire to be like him?