Fire Tail Lizard

I have seen these lizards in our yard on a few occasions and wondered if anyone knows what they are. I call them a Firetail lizard for obvious reasons. For a lizard it is really quite streamlined and I think good looking with a very bright red tail. The ones I have seen are very small - 6 to 8 cm. This picture is pretty accurate but not actual. I made it up in photoshop from a long tail grass lizard as I could not find a picture on the web nor have I been able to take their picture. They are quite few and far between. The red portion of the tail dances around in a hypnotic curly que which is really fascinating to watch. Any guesses?

post-116788-0-06893700-1304176316_thumb.

Looks like Lined Firetail Skink (Morethia ruficauda)

Native to Australia only???

Thank you PoorSucker. I watched the video but do not think it is a hit and probably because I did not give enough information. Although I said I have seen these in my yard they are not ground lizards even though my attempt at a picture is based on a ground lizard. These red tail ones that I saw were always on tree trunks or the post holding up my grass roofed shelter. They are very small and sleek with the front quite dark and not so apparently striated or lined. And the motion of their tail is like a broken air hose gyrating about in slow motion. I sorta thought someone would know right off the bat but maybe this is something undocumented although I think there is little chance in that.. Will have to try and get some real pictures next time I come across one. Thanks very much for your input - perhaps the one you show is a relative but I am pretty sure it is not the same as the ones I am trying to identify.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Could be a juvenile.

The red tail is left behind to attract predators.

Try here:

http://www.globaltwi...r.asp?famid=584

I am sure you are on the right path and that it is a skink. Some of the ones shown have exactly the same delicate body style. I just have not seen the correct coloration yet but I will keep looking. Thanks again!

from your description, in Thailand, it can only be the Striped Tree Skink (Lipinia vittigera)

widely distributed throughout the region, but shy & rarely seen.

here's one..

Yes. thats gotta be it - the same tail action - but the one I saw had a much darker fore body which may be just a local trait. Thanks all!

Edited by BuckarooBanzai