Best Admitted To Intensive Care

Football legend George Best has been admitted to the intensive care unit of London's Cromwell Hospital.

It is unclear what he is being treated for, but the former Manchester United and Northern Ireland footballer had a liver transplant in 2002.

After years of heavy drinking, the 59-year-old pledged but failed to give up alcohol after the transplant.

Earlier this year he was questioned by police over allegations of abuse but no further action was taken.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4304964.stm

If 'rent a liver' is in hospital because he has been on the sauce again, then i have absolutely no sympathy for him. It's common knowledge that he viewed his transplant as a good opportunity to carry on lashing it up. As a man he is a disgrace, and a complete and utter loser.

If 'rent a liver' is in hospital because he has been on the sauce again, then i have absolutely no sympathy for him. It's common knowledge that he viewed his transplant as a good opportunity to carry on lashing it up. As a man he is a disgrace, and a complete and utter loser.

Yep, totally agree. The Wife bashing moron :o The Doctors are better off spending their valuable time on more worthy causes

its a sickness not something you can just stop

I totally agree Lovejoy but he has had some of the Best (no pun intended) treatment, available to man, given to him. I just think there a more worthy causes doctors can spend their time on, with people who are willing to try. Also, the Alcohol might be a sickness but beating women isn't :o The latest news, is that this latest condition as about an infection.

I also agree, he was indeed a top class player. Maybe if he had have had someone like Alex Fergusson managing him in those days, things might have turned out differently.

He had Matt Busby who was on a par with Ferguson, but with people like him and Gazza is another, they just could not find away to balance the sudden fame and fortune.

Most players today can, but there will always be a few that can't. It is an Alcoholics trait to ruin everything that is good in their life for "Just one more" I feel sorry for him and fearhe will not find real "Peace" until he has shuffled off this mortal coil.

I feel really sorry for him, but even if he gets throgh this there will be another scandal waiting round the corner.

He just can't help himself

He had Matt Busby who was on a par with Ferguson, but with people like him and Gazza is another, they just could not find away to balance the sudden fame and fortune.

What people forget is that George Best was the original "working class hero".

Before him no footballer (especially from Northern Ireland) was ever wined, dined and feasted by the media, the chattering classes or any tart who wanted her picture in the papers.

He never had a chance, especially because, unlike Gazza and more, he was genuinely funny when he was pissed.

When you've got the looks and the talent and the money and the booze, which makes you more money for more booze, and the chicks who put you in the papers who give you more money for more booze, that makes you do stupid things that puts you on TV that gives you more money for more booze, that makes you ill and puts you in the headlines that gives you more money for more booze...

...and in the end (as your football boots rot in the garage), it is all you can do .

Could you stop?

You could not get much more working class than Gazza. He was the first hero of Tyneside in the modern era. Not since Jackie milburn had anybody seen such talent.

Wasted in the end because of booze. He just could not cope with the fame and fortune.

He was Englands great hope of the 90's. I still love him to bits, but thats what he is in bits. I saw him play for Middlesborough at Reading about 8 years ago and the home fans would not get off his back, (this was after he had (alledgedly) asaulted his wife.

Best was a bit before my time of watching live footie, but the similarities are striking, both alcohol fuelled.

At least Paul Merson and Tony Adams pulled themselves out of the mire. the other two did not manage it. But for the later its still

"One day At A Time"

• 3 weeks later...

LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - Geroge Best is sitting up in his hospital bed sipping tea this morning after winning his latest battle for life.

The football legend has been on a ventilator in intensive care after suffering internal bleeding linked ot a kidney infection.

Best's agent, Phil Hughes, said he was "optimistic" that Best, 59, was on the mend.

Speaking outside the Cromwell Hospital, west London, Mr Hughes said: "He's certainly won a battle now but he has still got a lang war to fight.

"It was absolutely brillant just seeing him sitting up in bed with his eyes open although he has a face like bloody thunder. He didn't look pleased to see me. He is in a lot of pain and he is not really talking.

"I tok him a cup of tea first thing although he only had a few sips of it. The doctors have said his throat will be very sore from bein gon a ventilator."

Mr Hughes said Best had woken up feeling "low and miserable" as doctors attmepted to wean him off his painkillers.

"They have started to take him off his drugs so he has woken up quite low and misreable. I have been asking him a lot of questions to take his mind off it - things like how are you feeling and talking about football. I've not told him about the latest Man United score though.

"He definitely knows what I am saying although he is not responding a great deal."

Mr Hughes said Best was looking foward to seeing his younger sister, Julie, and son Calum later on today.

Best's current girlfriend, Ros Hollidge, 37, is also expexted to visit this afternoon.

Mr Hughes said: "Obviously seeing his family makes him feel a little bit better. I've been texting Ros while she's been away on holiday to let her know how he is. She is very concerned and looking forward to seeing him."

George Best given one hour to live

Doc: George, I have some good news and some bad news, which would you like first?

George: The bad news

Doc: You've only got one hour to live

George: Christ, I've only got one hour to live - what's the good news?

Doc: It's happy hour.

But in all seriousness, despite my feelings about his abuse of someone else's liver, i hope he recovers fully soon.