Electric Kettles

richardjm65

Last night I was with an old buddy who had just bought a stainless steel electric kettle, one of those that sits on a base plate. He bought this in Tesco's. Filled it with water, plugged in and got one hell of a shock from the stainless steel body. Checking it out, he found that during manufacture the brown wire (power) had been connected to the earth pin and the green wire (earth) to one of the other two pins. We were both mystified as to how this could possibly have passed a quality control check.

So, if you buy one of these stainless steel kettles, you'd be well advise to check the SS body of the thing with a test pen when it's plugged in before you physically touch the kettle body. My buddy was lucky - your kid, wife, gf, might not be. Anyone else experienced something similar?

A post and a reply to it have been removed due to the following contravention of forum rule:

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

I've had an electric shock many times here - thank god they have a high voltage and low current that hasn't killed me.

Think the stuff that gives you a belt that doesn't kill you is low wattage, lucky it wasn't a kettle or heater, but even low wattage can stop your heart.

Anything in my place with a 2 pin plug now has a 3 pin plug using an earth from chassis of a suspect appliances, but l do have an earthed 3 pin sockets outlets. :)

When l rented a place, had a washing machine delivered, they set it up, 2 pin plug, fixed an earth to the chassis, banged a nail between the tiles on the floor and wrapped the earth wire round it. :lol:

Edited by transam

I've went through I think three of those electric kettles now, and gave up on them. Nobody would ever remember to unplug them, so they'd just stay on with no water in them for an hour or so.

Now we just use a small pot on the stove for boiling water. :)

I had a bad experience with a plastic covered one. The plastic insulation works fine, but be careful about the interior. I was filling it with water using a plastic container when I thought I saw something about to come out of the container. I put my fingers in the stream to catch it only to be nearly knocked on my arse. Told me two things - one the stainless steel interior is poorly isolated and 2nd, the water has a high mineral content to conduct electricity so nicely. :D

I don't do that anymore. ;)

i bought a plastic one cheap cheap at tesco

the thing smelled like wd-40

still smells like plastic/new car/something inedible

i wonder how toxic the hot water is that it makes

otto electric kettle

model pt-101

otto electric kettle

model pt-101

My plastic kettle smelled like that at first too. A few years later and the smell is gone. Maybe I've already consumed all the toxins.

otto electric kettle

model pt-101

My plastic kettle smelled like that at first too. A few years later and the smell is gone. Maybe I've already consumed all the toxins.

I returned one of those kettles, due to the oily taste/smell, and got an exchange.

Before using the second one I read the instructions - "before using for the first time fill the kettle with a mixture of water and vinegar and bring to the boil - repeat this for a second time - rinse thoroughly - now the kettle is ready for use."

Worked like a treat.

otto electric kettle

model pt-101

I returned one of those kettles, due to the oily taste/smell, and got an exchange.

Before using the second one I read the instructions - "before using for the first time fill the kettle with a mixture of water and vinegar and bring to the boil - repeat this for a second time - rinse thoroughly - now the kettle is ready for use."

Worked like a treat.

brilliant

thanks

the only instructions i got, if any, were in thai

General rule: don't buy any electric equipment ' made in Thailand'.

last week we bought a set of 3kitchen lights,the box was checked and resealed,when we got home there was no instructions,nothing to say where they where made or who the suplier was.

I've had an electric shock many times here - thank god they have a high voltage and low current that hasn't killed me.

Think the stuff that gives you a belt that doesn't kill you is low wattage, lucky it wasn't a kettle or heater, but even low wattage can stop your heart.

Anything in my place with a 2 pin plug now has a 3 pin plug using an earth from chassis of a suspect appliances, but l do have an earthed 3 pin sockets outlets. :)

When l rented a place, had a washing machine delivered, they set it up, 2 pin plug, fixed an earth to the chassis, banged a nail between the tiles on the floor and wrapped the earth wire round it. :lol:

Actually, if you read the OP it was a kettle and a heater!

Actually, if you read the OP it was a kettle and a heater!

No it was a kettle on a base, the heating element would be in the kettle. :rolleyes:

SAFE-T-Switch is 1700b at Global, a little bit more at Home pro, no more than 500b to have installed, I allways pay and watch as I don't want to slip and die installing it. Allthough your place should be grounded, I have installed on of these into every place I rented in LOS, I have even taken them with me on an occasion. They really do save lives.

(Home Pro may be looking 2600b as they don't stock the cheaper brand)