Where Can I Go To Loose My "Ramen Virginity"?

Grawburg

After the article in BK Magazine insert about Ramen, I've decided to try and induldge in this Japanese delight. (Years as a poor college student eating ten cent ramen took a lot of time to get over).

Can someone suggest their favorite ramen place? I live near Soi Thaniya (spelled wrong I think) and have been told there are some good places over there. And then - what should I order for my 1st time?

As an accompanyment - beer or tea?

Thanks.

I don't know where you are, but:

I go in Sukhumvit on Soi 33. First place on right behing the eponymous Robin Hood Pub.

There are others but that is my favorite.

Any ramen there is excellent, about 160 baht. Beer or tea, up to you.

I like beer.

I enjoy mine at Ramen Tei located on Thaniya. If coming from Silom its on the left side slightly opposite The Barbican Bar, which is on right side. Its a small place with a brown front facade. I think the name on front is in Japanese.

There is also a Ramen Tei located on Sukhumvit 33/1 on left side opposite the Bull's Head Pub. Once again name on front is in Japanese and facade is also brown.

Both places are always very busy in the evening.

Give miso ramen a try for starters.

I don't know where you are, but:

I go in Sukhumvit on Soi 33. First place on right behing the eponymous Robin Hood Pub.

There are others but that is my favorite.

Any ramen there is excellent, about 160 baht. Beer or tea, up to you.

I like beer.

I too have been here a couple of times, and find it a friendly and cosy little place to be. The added 'authenticity' of manga novels being available to take with you whilst you eat only adds to the feel.

As for the beer or tea dilemma, it's tea for me everytime. A) Because tea is the best drink in the World and B) Because beer definitely isn't. I think the Japanese might have something to say about that, but I'm with the Chinese, tea is good for digestion.

I'm a relative 'Ramen Virgin' myself, but Miso was good when I had it there. Huge, as well.

I was in Siam Paragon yesterday and tried K-Ca - the big bowl with the fake steam was too enticing to pass up. I asked the waitress which on she liked and happily received a hot bowl of ...ok...I can't remember the name but it had two big pieces of ultra-tender pork, boiled egg, and wonderful noodles. Broth was to die for.

Next, I'll go to the one suggested on Thaniya since its close to my condo.....hope they speak Thai or English...trip report coming soon.