Gpx Zf250 Enduro Motorcycle

Even a new 125cc motocross bike, like the KTM 150SX* costs in Thailand something like 210,000 THB. Buying a secondhand 125cc motocross bike for 50,000 THB you should not expect much.

Also not forget that even if you buy a Japanese or European motocross bike you need to split and rebuild the engine now-and-than. For me, based on how much I ride, I probably will rebuild the engine every two months. (I have friends who do it ever two weeks, but they ride much more and much harder).

A lot of my off-road friends did feel the same as much of the people who commented here, but now that they have seen the bike in action and followed the tail light and did even ride it a few times... Two have also shown interest in the GPX (they both have now a modified Kawasaki KLX250).

* I know the KTM 150SX is a 150cc, but it's still in the same class as the 125cc...

Edited by Richard-BKK

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bike is absolute not for long rides, with the stock knobby tires the size of the fuel tank is your last worry – your kidneys start complaining long before you run out of fuel. In the forests, and unpaved roads the tires do much better and the lights are really helpful when it gets a bit darker... or starts raining.

With a full tank of fuel I can do about 150 to 170 kilometers, if I keep it a bit on a average speed and go easy on the throttle I can extend that range a bit more. So sure not a touring bike....

Still I changed the full off-road tires to a set of 50% road/50% off-road tires, as much of my riding is on hard unpaved- and gravel roads.

Enduro riding is about long rides, hence the name. How big is the tank? With a 49mm carb I'd imagine it would need to be a decent size to do 170kms (I'm guessing this is on bitumen?). In comparison, similar sizes dirt bikes have carbs of 35 - 39mm, so this one seems oversized. How is the weight?

It has lights and is called an enduro, but is described here as more of an mx bike. Even on a basic level it seems things haven't been properly thought through, so I wonder how things are on more of a technical level.

The bike is absolute not for long rides, with the stock knobby tires the size of the fuel tank is your last worry – your kidneys start complaining long before you run out of fuel. In the forests, and unpaved roads the tires do much better and the lights are really helpful when it gets a bit darker... or starts raining.

With a full tank of fuel I can do about 150 to 170 kilometers, if I keep it a bit on a average speed and go easy on the throttle I can extend that range a bit more. So sure not a touring bike....

Still I changed the full off-road tires to a set of 50% road/50% off-road tires, as much of my riding is on hard unpaved- and gravel roads.

Enduro riding is about long rides, hence the name. How big is the tank? With a 49mm carb I'd imagine it would need to be a decent size to do 170kms (I'm guessing this is on bitumen?). In comparison, similar sizes dirt bikes have carbs of 35 - 39mm, so this one seems oversized. How is the weight?

It has lights and is called an enduro, but is described here as more of an mx bike. Even on a basic level it seems things haven't been properly thought through, so I wonder how things are on more of a technical level.

The fuel tank hold a bit over 5 liters... for the carburetor - it's so unique for a 250cc dirt bike to have 49mm carburetor, the latest Honda CRF250R has actually a 50mm throttle body...

Although the term enduro often applies to any type of long-distance, off-road motorcycle races, its true technical definition usually refers to a set of rules, varying by the events' governing body, that specify exactly when a rider should arrive at certain pre-defined locations along a prescribed route.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduro

Enduro riding is different to motocross, therefore the bikes are different, surely you know this?

As for the throttle body on the latest CRF, that's for a FI bike, the carbed version was 37mm.

170kms on 5 liters? Difficult to believe.

Enduro riding is different to motocross, therefore the bikes are different, surely you know this?

As for the throttle body on the latest CRF, that's for a FI bike, the carbed version was 37mm.

170kms on 5 liters? Difficult to believe.

On a average ride a do 150 to 170 kilometer with one full tank... And for you I will check it next time, when I have an empty tank, I will check the accuracy of my statement... But I'm sure I can do 150km on a tank...

Please what is the difference between the diameter of a throttle body and a carburetor when it comes to airflow?

Sure I know what enduro riding is, and what I do and most of the people who ride motorcycle with knobble tires in the weekend is most of the time not enduro or motocross... Like most I have just some fun in the forest or any other set terrain... I not care how it's called... I just have fun and it relaxes me... and my bike is cheap enough to not even worry about that...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Even a new 125cc motocross bike, like the KTM 150SX* costs in Thailand something like 210,000 THB. Buying a secondhand 125cc motocross bike for 50,000 THB you should not expect much.

Also not forget that even if you buy a Japanese or European motocross bike you need to split and rebuild the engine now-and-than. For me, based on how much I ride, I probably will rebuild the engine every two months. (I have friends who do it ever two weeks, but they ride much more and much harder).

A lot of my off-road friends did feel the same as much of the people who commented here, but now that they have seen the bike in action and followed the tail light and did even ride it a few times... Two have also shown interest in the GPX (they both have now a modified Kawasaki KLX250).

* I know the KTM 150SX is a 150cc, but it's still in the same class as the 125cc...

Your friends must be riding a lot to rebuild every 2 weeks. I used to do the piston and rings every 40 hours on my 125. Maximum seat time of about 2 hours per session and now I'd probably take the bike to the track once or twice a month at the most - so that would be a top end rebuild maybe once a year.

But I'd be riding a professional quality MX bike, a bike that less than 10 years ago was competing for world championships (albeit with a hell of a lot of mods). That's quite a difference to a Chinese copy of a Honda CRF250. Even the CRF250 is known to grenade itself from time to time requiring extremely expensive (4 stroke) rebuilds. So I'm not sure I'd trust a Chinese copy of that bike for more than 12 months. Not just the engine, but the components are unlikely to be as high quality as the 6 year old Honda IMO. Swingarm, frame, shock, forks. All unknown on the GPX.

I don't doubt your having fun and clearly the bike is cheap, there's just a few things about the bike I'm unsure of. Is the frame really aluminum?

It would be good to see the specs and a review from outside Thailand.

I have an aluminum frame, magnets don't stick to it, but I was told that GPX has two different frames available in the ZF250 line... You best contact the distributor for the exact details. Because there's a also a price difference...

Here also a few pictures from Riding Magazine Thailand, they where also very impressed by the GPX ZF250 (b.t.w they tested the GPX ZF250 cross which has the same engine as the ZF250 Enduro)

post-12170-0-97787000-1314959479_thumb.j

post-12170-0-29183300-1314959489_thumb.j

post-12170-0-62057000-1314959501_thumb.j

post-12170-0-24459800-1314959514_thumb.j

post-12170-0-73367800-1314959525_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

somebody has one in ratchada area ,i have seen it more than once sitting parked outside a house

whether hes driving it illegally or not i dont know

i do remember its a good looking bike and a bit of a head turner amongst all the scooters around that area but i will check if i see it again whether its wearing number plates or not .

shining spotless both times i seen it so doesnt look like its being only used in the fields etc

Your friends must be riding a lot to rebuild every 2 weeks. I used to do the piston and rings every 40 hours on my 125. Maximum seat time of about 2 hours per session and now I'd probably take the bike to the track once or twice a month at the most - so that would be a top end rebuild maybe once a year.

But I'd be riding a professional quality MX bike, a bike that less than 10 years ago was competing for world championships (albeit with a hell of a lot of mods). That's quite a difference to a Chinese copy of a Honda CRF250. Even the CRF250 is known to grenade itself from time to time requiring extremely expensive (4 stroke) rebuilds. So I'm not sure I'd trust a Chinese copy of that bike for more than 12 months. Not just the engine, but the components are unlikely to be as high quality as the 6 year old Honda IMO. Swingarm, frame, shock, forks. All unknown on the GPX.

Most of the better Chinese motorcycle manufacturers use now-a-day the same suspensions as you find in the aftermarket... Showa, Fox, or other well-known brands...

On one of my Chinese build bikes I have the identical front forks a friend bought for his Kawasaki D-Tracker (the Fox forks were stock on the Chinese bike).

Richard, any idea of the weight? If you don't have manufacturers info then maybe you can compare to other dirt bikes you're familiar with.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out, if the bike is even close to how you describe it and has decent reliability then it's a bargain, even without a plate. In which case we can expect to see plenty of these out on the weekends. I am still skeptical and think the manufacturer would have been better to produce a simpler bike that could still out perform the KLX.

Edited by mixed

Richard, any idea of the weight? If you don't have manufacturers info then maybe you can compare to other dirt bikes you're familiar with.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out, if the bike is even close to how you describe it and has decent reliability then it's a bargain, even without a plate. In which case we can expect to see plenty of these out on the weekends. I am still skeptical and think the manufacturer would have been better to produce a simpler bike that could still out perform the KLX.

I have absolute no idea about the original weight, on your request I hang the bike in our weighing and it says 114,5kg.

I have absolute no idea about the original weight, on your request I hang the bike in our weighing and it says 114,5kg.

That's not bad at all, especially considering many manufacturers 'dry weights' aren't accurate.

I wonder how different the registration process would be from a bike thats been left unregistered for more than 3 years and needs re-registration.

Had an NSR a few years ago that required that, and had to get a sound level and pollution particulate matter check at the local inspection station. Took that to the department of motor vehicles and did the re-registration.

Most of the better Chinese motorcycle manufacturers use now-a-day the same suspensions as you find in the aftermarket... Showa, Fox, or other well-known brands...

On one of my Chinese build bikes I have the identical front forks a friend bought for his Kawasaki D-Tracker (the Fox forks were stock on the Chinese bike).

You make a good case and despite being skeptical my mind isn't completely closed to the idea, but as far as I know the GPX doesn't come with aftermarket suspension does it?

And what if I get a problem? The only dealer I know is the one on the BangNa Trat road that I can see on the left from the highway between Samut Prakan and Bang Na. Do they stock parts? And do they have competent mechanics to do the work? MX bikes are high maintenance and even though I'm a poor mechanic I can just about manage a 2 stroke but wouldn't be confident enough to work on a 4 stroke. If AP Honda don't change the oil by removing the sump plug I'd be a bit nervous about this outfit checking and adjusting things like valve clearances on a small bore thumper.

You seem to be involved in this company in some way (correct me if I am wrong), do you know what they've prepared in terms of customer service once the bike leaves the shop?

It's true the standard GPX ZF250 isn't equipped with suspension from one of a well-known brand, but if you're worried about the suspension you can get a ZF250 build with products from Pro Circuit – of course the price is also different.

I have seen enough dirt tracks on more MX bikes than I can remember and I have nothing to complain about the standard suspension of the GPX ZF250. The how a suspension feels is very personal so I would suggest that you test the bike first before buying.

Having a motocross bike in the garage (and riding it), also means you need to be a part-time mechanic – and that is for any brand Japanese, European, Chinese or whatever. If you feel uncomfortable working on a bike you could learn how it works or you should not buy it. Because depending on the mechanic on the corner of the street is often not the best option with a motocross bike.

The company between Samut Prakan and Bang Na is the distributor and they have a good amount of dealers in Thailand. The company is called Modern Bike and is in business longer than I can remember. And no I have absolute nothing to do with that company, I just have one of there bikes.

--------------------

I also found a picture from somebody who turned the GPX ZF250 into a Supermotard … Looks sharp, I have to keep that in mind if I get tired of the dirt.

post-12170-0-07895800-1315023496_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

OK, I'd be interested in riding the bike - do they offer test rides?

I asked if the mechanics and after sales service is good and you suggest I learn to work on it myself - which while it's a good idea long term, quite franky I don't really have the time or desire to learn the ins and outs of the cams, valves etc on a 4 stroke engine (hence my preference for an easily maintainable 2 stroke). I have to assume that given your answer I can't rely on them to service the bike for me at the scheduled intervals (obviously I don't mind the routine maintance like oil, filters, chain etc.)

Anyway, I think I'll go and have a look at one seeing as I pass that GPX place once or twice a week.

You make a good case and despite being skeptical my mind isn't completely closed to the idea, but as far as I know the GPX doesn't come with aftermarket suspension does it?

And what if I get a problem? The only dealer I know is the one on the BangNa Trat road that I can see on the left from the highway between Samut Prakan and Bang Na. Do they stock parts? And do they have competent mechanics to do the work? MX bikes are high maintenance and even though I'm a poor mechanic I can just about manage a 2 stroke but wouldn't be confident enough to work on a 4 stroke. If AP Honda don't change the oil by removing the sump plug I'd be a bit nervous about this outfit checking and adjusting things like valve clearances on a small bore thumper.

You seem to be involved in this company in some way (correct me if I am wrong), do you know what they've prepared in terms of customer service once the bike leaves the shop?

i certaintly dont work for GTX company but i have seen this bike in the flesh twice and its a dam_n good looking bike ,whether or not it would fall to pieces after a few km is anyones guess but its looks shit hot anyway....... B) better looking than a kawasaki IMO

OK, I'd be interested in riding the bike - do they offer test rides?

I asked if the mechanics and after sales service is good and you suggest I learn to work on it myself - which while it's a good idea long term, quite franky I don't really have the time or desire to learn the ins and outs of the cams, valves etc on a 4 stroke engine (hence my preference for an easily maintainable 2 stroke). I have to assume that given your answer I can't rely on them to service the bike for me at the scheduled intervals (obviously I don't mind the routine maintance like oil, filters, chain etc.)

Anyway, I think I'll go and have a look at one seeing as I pass that GPX place once or twice a week.

Sorry if I give the impression that the mechanics of GPX are not capable to service the bikes they sale... as they actual very capable, and give me a few pointers to look for when I do my own servicing.

…. Basically I had the idea I was talking to another serious MX rider, and I cannot remember any MX/motocross rider depending on a dealership mechanic to service his motorcycle... and it doesn't matter what brand of motocross bike you have …

The distributor of GPX has all parts of the motorcycles they sell on stock and available for pickup, or delivery anywhere in Thailand... buy a KTM, Yamaha, Honda, or any other brand and point me to a place who has spare parts on stock for those bikes... I had a Honda CRF450 before and needed to wait on average 14 days to get parts from the USA or Japan to fix the simplest problem...

People who cannot do basic maintenance should think twice before buying a motocross bike, and this has nothing to do with Chinese, Japanese or European... just a basic fact. Ask any motocross rider...

I know a few motorcycle shops who import MX/motocross machines into Thailand... and they all, after they import the bike for you do not offer warrant or free service... they do not stock parts... I have a friend who bought in Thailand a brand new Honda CRF250R, and another who bought a Yamaha WR450F both come with a super high price tag... still no service no spare part stock or anything what seems in this discussion so important... Still Modern Bike has all the parts you will ever need within a day or in an hour if you don't mind the trip to the office.

If somebody knows where I can get 48mm WP open-cartridge fork seals for a KTM motocross bike in Thailand? Sorry just one part what has a limited lifespan and you would expect the several MX/motocross shops in Thailand to have stock for... they not have... order... wait 14 days and pay top price... you can get them faster and cheaper to order them yourself from the many online shops worldwide...

The GPX ZF250 sales like pancakes, if you look into the warehouse you see lots of ZF250 machines, and mechanics finishing them, but still when you order you're on a waiting list of a week... as all bikes you she in the warehouse are already sold...

post-12170-0-59204200-1315057931_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

so as this thread is a year old does anyone actually have experience in owning one ? i have never seen one in Pattay area ? for sale or otherwise ...

IIRR Richard-BKK has reported a lot in this thread about the bike. He also made a green book for his bike, but some do not believe it, as always. TiTV :)

• 3 weeks later...

so as this thread is a year old does anyone actually have experience in owning one ? i have never seen one in Pattay area ? for sale or otherwise ...

IIRR Richard-BKK has reported a lot in this thread about the bike. He also made a green book for his bike, but some do not believe it, as always. TiTV :)

So easy to prove but Richard does not seem capable. So i for one do not believe its original real green book for the Gpx. And for TiTTV you should watch Thailands got talent :D

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by thaicbr

IIRR Richard-BKK has reported a lot in this thread about the bike. He also made a green book for his bike, but some do not believe it, as always. TiTV smile.png

So easy to prove but Richard does not seem capable. So i for one do not believe its original real green book for the Gpx. And for TiTTV you should watch Thailands got talent biggrin.png

LOL, if you have nothing to say ... then use an old thread to say it.

This is Thai Visa

But maybe thaicbr is just advertising his state-of-the-art Galaxy Tab laugh.png

IIRR Richard-BKK has reported a lot in this thread about the bike. He also made a green book for his bike, but some do not believe it, as always. TiTV smile.png

So easy to prove but Richard does not seem capable. So i for one do not believe its original real green book for the Gpx. And for TiTTV you should watch Thailands got talent biggrin.png

LOL, if you have nothing to say ... then use an old thread to say it.

This is Thai Visa

But maybe thaicbr is just advertising his state-of-the-art Galaxy Tab laugh.png

arsehol_e

When the importer of said bikes tells me that they cannot be road registered as they did not import them as road going vehicles hence did NOT PAY the higher import duties. Then I believe them. I and others have asked Richard a few times about his registration process with no clear answer. If you believe that he has a new Green book for the Gpx then good on you. I do not. I believe the importer.

Edited by thaicbr