Thai Workers Call For Alcoholic Drinks Ban

webfact

".................... to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories during working hours ..................... He urged that a ban put in effect for 24 hours a day."

Do they really mean it to cover all those poor souls who have to work 24 hours a day?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ban the sale of alcohol in factories? wont people just buy it from Somchai and his "coffee cart" outside the front door???:whistling:

I don't think this is about the sale of alcohol to factory workers but the consumption of alcohol whilst in the work place. Personally I think this is a great idea. Many western countries have already adopted this policy years ago. In Australia many occupations are subject to random drug and alcohol testing in the workplace. Basically means no more liquid lunches or if you had a heavy night you can still attend work effected by alcohol. For the average farang male it takes approx 1 hour for your body to break down your blood alcohol concentration by .01% (Rule of thumb) For example the legal limit (Melb Aust) to drive a motor vehicle, boat (incl jetski) is .05 per centum. Three standard 270ml glasses of beer and a limit of 1 every hour after that will generally keep you at or below the limit depending on health, fitness and body wieght. (Aust beer av 4.9%) For thais with smaller body wieght and stronger beers (Chiang 6.4%) would be less consumption. So if you have a big night it would be very easy to push your blood alcohol concentration above .12% which means about 12 hours to get back to zero. Having a zero blood alcohol limit in the work place protects not only the individual but those around him especially where machinery and vehicles are concerned.

And Bin Laden is dead. Off topic I know but breaking news.

Boy that is a great idea - don't let people drink at work, especially in the factory. Now that they have come up with a good idea perhaps they can repeal the no sales of booze between 2 and 5 pm law the reason for which has stumped people since its inception.

The 2-5 law is so that School kids only get drunk at lunchtime and on their way home after class...

that ban only applies to single bottles,, just buy a case of beer,,,,,,,,,

nope, a minimum of 2 boxes required. :jap:

Boy that is a great idea - don't let people drink at work, especially in the factory. Now that they have come up with a good idea perhaps they can repeal the no sales of booze between 2 and 5 pm law the reason for which has stumped people since its inception.

The 2-5 law is so that School kids only get drunk at lunchtime and on their way home after class...

whaw... good one!!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

nope, a minimum of 2 boxes required. :jap:

and even this is not working at Emporium top floor shopping mall... They bluntly send you back! :bah: :bah: :bah:

while a good idea, Im once again open mouthed for the reasoning behind it. "IF" someone can ever write a book defining "Thai Logic" they would surely become a millionaire! 55555

it took me awhile to understand, but its really very easy.

LOS is a country of 65 million self-interested people packed together like a can of sardines.

if i want to predict what a Thai will do, i just figure out what is in their absolute best interest and i know the answer.

Thais will screw over anybody that isn't in their nuclear family.

They will go after some of their own family too. Especially if money/property is involved.

My brother once did a shift job in a brewery as a student. I picked him up sometimes from work and he was usually pissed because the brewery workers had a system to take turns to syphon off beer that was put in a tub hidden in a corner that they all surreptitiously drank out of during the shift on the way to or from the toilet. You weren't accepted as one of the lads, if you didn't participate, and the foreman was also involved. When the shift ended during opening hours they all adjourned to the local pub for more of the same, often joined by their wives and girlfriends who also seemed to be alcoholics. I joined one of these after work sessions out of curiosity once and it was a horrible sight. The permanent workers must all have gone to early graves from cirrhosis or accidents at the workplace. This took place in a farang country with all its laws and regulations and political correctness. What hope for Thailand to prevent drunkenness at the conveyer belt?

".................... to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories during working hours ..................... He urged that a ban put in effect for 24 hours a day."

Do they really mean it to cover all those poor souls who have to work 24 hours a day?

Some workers live at their factory in dormitories. They wouldn't be allowed to drink when they are off the clock and in their dorm. Sounds like a scheme from one of the anti alcohol advocacy groups

"......Amazing Thailand! Here we have a report stating that dependent on their age group, between one eighth and one fifth of Thai workers are addicted to alcohol. Note, "workers" not "factory workers". The solution: ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories - that is to only part of the workforce. Absolutely no consideration of reducing industrial accidents!....."

No, they said 8% & 5% so that would be 1 in 13 and 1 in 20 for those respective age groups.

I would think the rate of people addicted to alcohol is probably that high in the west....at least in the UK anyway :whistling:

These figures are rubbish--making it a small problem--NOT SO--last year it was stated that over 60% were alcoholics in RURAL Issan areas, and my friend -boss of health in my town would confirm that---are these figures telling me it's a reflection of m/cycle riders %...............Do the workers walk to WORK ???????????

Yep. It's got to be 30-40% of blokes that are permantly pissed here in Chonburi city. Thailand makes up it's statistics again.

Well they've started with the factory workers, I would have thought the legless motor pyscho taxi drivers, the hammered song taew drivers, the steaming bus drivers, the can't drive in a straight line mini bus drivers, the seeing double coach drivers, the on their 10th chang of the day by noon delivery drivers ,etc etc would have been a better place to start.

Ha ha - that's funny

while a good idea, Im once again open mouthed for the reasoning behind it. "IF" someone can ever write a book defining "Thai Logic" they would surely become a millionaire! 55555

LOS is a country of 65 million self-interested people packed together like a can of sardines.

if i want to predict what a Thai will do, i just figure out what is in their absolute best interest and i know the answer.

Do you know any nation where the people aren't self interested? Do you know of any stereotypes that actually work?

Do you know of any stereotypes that actually work?

I have a German friend here that spends half of his time complaining about how he is pigeon holed by most people as soon as they find out that he is German, he spends the other half of his time full of beer and sausages.

Don't know why but in the UK before all day opening. Pubs had to close between 2 and 5 ( sometimes 3 and 5 ) Maybe so people could eat something.

Maybe Thailand is trying to copy very old licensing laws from the UK without understanding the reasons why.( I don't know why too )

I find the tobacco laws very amusing " Quick let's hide all the cigarettes and tobacco, people will think we smoke " The only place you will find these on display is at a duty free shop at the airport

Bit like the display of condoms years ago Out of sight out of mind !! Usually kept " Under the counter " at Chemists / Pharmacies / Barber Shops

" cough - cough.......... Does sir need something for the weekend ? "

Packed together like a can of sardines ?

WOW!!! You don't get out much do you?

Like most countries in this world " The Sardines " live in the big towns and cities. ( Bangkok , Pattaya etc etc )

If you drive in the country ( Most of Thailand ) you can often go for miles without seeing anyone.

But sorry to disagree with you but Thais will screw over anyone if it is in their absolute best interest INCLUDING family.

If Thailand is serious about cutting down on alcohol abuse, they should first start by banning their local moonshine. They should also follow Malaysia and Singapore by increasing the alcohol tax. That is if Thailand is really serious about it. Currently they have this superficial 2-5 ban. I really do not understand this 2-5 ban, and do not think this really does anything. Every restaurant at Season Square would refuse to serve me a beer with my meal after 2 pm, but every restaurant at Paradise Park, Emporium, or Paragon will gladly serve me a beer with my meal anytime of the day. Go figure.

If Thailand is serious about cutting down on alcohol abuse, they should first start by banning their local moonshine. They should also follow Malaysia and Singapore by increasing the alcohol tax. That is if Thailand is really serious about it. Currently they have this superficial 2-5 ban. I really do not understand this 2-5 ban, and do not think this really does anything. Every restaurant at Season Square would refuse to serve me a beer with my meal after 2 pm, but every restaurant at Paradise Park, Emporium, or Paragon will gladly serve me a beer with my meal anytime of the day. Go figure.

Thais call every alcoholic drink that is not beer or wine, " Whiskey " including their nice Thai " Rum " Sangsom.

Thai whiskey is closer to rubbing alcohol than Whiskey.

The Thai moonshine is similar to the moonshine " Sadiki " I used to drink in Saudi Arabia and just as tasteless.

Flavours had to be added to make it palatable. REAL Whiskey has it's own rich flavour.

Unfortunately if the Thai government slapped a big tax on it Illegal stills would spring up everywhere whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Does anybody remember the ban on the advertising of alcohol imposed by the late Prime Minister Samak? He justified it saying that it was to combat the problem of too many people drinking too much. Two weeks after the announcement, he overturned the ban and told us that the reason that he had reversed the ban was that alcohol sales had dropped dramatically. Well .......

There are no laws re drinking and working in the States. There are some rules/policy with certain companies and offices such as law enforcement and major companies. Many small companies have written policy.

However, most workers have had the common sense, not to mention the emotional maturity and responsibilty, to not require government inacting statutes.

Please, when I was still working I could count on one hand the number of co-workers who would not drink at lunch. Worked with a guy who kept a pint of vodka in his tool box for sips all day. If you are alcoholic you donot care about others only the next drink.

Thais call every alcoholic drink that is not beer or wine, " Whiskey " including their nice Thai " Rum " Sangsom.

Thai whiskey is closer to rubbing alcohol than Whiskey.

The Thai moonshine is similar to the moonshine " Sadiki " I used to drink in Saudi Arabia and just as tasteless.

Flavours had to be added to make it palatable. REAL Whiskey has it's own rich flavour.

Unfortunately if the Thai government slapped a big tax on it Illegal stills would spring up everywhere whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

And how does real whiskey get its real rich flavor. Its not natural, ageing in someone elses used barrels in the case of scotch and burned barrels for burbon.

I don't understand. Headline: "Thai workers call for alcoholic drinks ban." But the story doesn't mention what Thai workers this is coming from.

It DOES say that "Wichai Poonkerd, president of the Otani Tyre Labour Union, said that a regulation by the PM's Office to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories during working hours would need approval from the National Committee on Alcoholic Drink Policies and the PM's signature to take effect. But it was a good idea that would benefit Thai workers in terms of health, economically and for families. He urged that a ban put in effect for 24 hours a day." Yet, I don't see just where the "Thai workers" are in this story.

I admit, I know nothing of Thai labor unions or Thailand political process. But.... well, there ought to be some substantiation of a headline such as this, or the headline perhaps should read differently. Perhaps something about what the "PM" wants would be more accurate? NOT that it's a bad idea! To the contrary. I just dislike shoddy journalism.

because of the small bottle size, when I tried I had to buy one box + 2

Ban the sale of alcohol in factories? wont people just buy it from Somchai and his "coffee cart" outside the front door???:whistling:

Who the hell is this SOMCHAI fellow? I hear his name all the time! I think the guy who used to ride around my house selling Gai was named Somchai! Why is every other Thai dude called Somchai? It is as if Somchai is some sort of generic name for Thai guys.

Ohhhhhh, wait! I get it! Somchai is a generic name for Thai guys! Like Joe is in America! Koool

Call me Somchai!

So alcoholic drinks are sold at factories? That is just plain retarded!

5% of the Thai population are alcoholics. Another 5% is addicted to YaBa or YaIce. At least 10% of the Thai population is addicted to something. These are government stats. I am guessing that the real figure is higher.

Do the numbers seem high when compared to other counties?

So alcoholic drinks are sold at factories? That is just plain retarded!

5% of the Thai population are alcoholics. Another 5% is addicted to YaBa or YaIce. At least 10% of the Thai population is addicted to something. These are government stats. I am guessing that the real figure is higher.

Do the numbers seem high when compared to other counties?

Wow! That is an underestimate on percent of alcoholics! 5%? I would estimate the true figure up around 50 - 60%. Maybe more. I always have Thais trying to con me out of beer/whiskey. They talk about "American Share" etc. Before I caught on to their games they really drank like fish. Then they would try to bring their friends in on the action. I cut them all off. They drink like there is no tomorrow. Every woman that I have been with has said they don't drink. When they get in the door they can empty a 1 liter bottle of whiskey in one night very easily.

Wow! That is an underestimate on percent of alcoholics! 5%? I would estimate the true figure up around 50 - 60%. Maybe more. I always have Thais trying to con me out of beer/whiskey. They talk about "American Share" etc. Before I caught on to their games they really drank like fish. Then they would try to bring their friends in on the action. I cut them all off. They drink like there is no tomorrow. Every woman that I have been with has said they don't drink. When they get in the door they can empty a 1 liter bottle of whiskey in one night very easily.

You think 50% are alcoholics? Pattaya isn't normal behavior. 50% of the population probably doesn't drink at all.

And "American Share" means that the entire group shares the cost. It doesn't mean you share something you've bought with other people who aren't paying anything. In the context of drinking, it would mean everyone contributes to the price of the whiskey and shares it together, instead of one person paying for everything. American Share is usually a good thing, it's not supposed to mean "You're American so share your whiskey with me" like they seem to have tried with you :lol: