Marry In Chiang Mai But Live In Phuket

Can anyone tell me…… I am a British female passport holder who is planning on marrying a longterm Thai boyfriend in Chiang Mai.

I currently have a non-imm O visa and live in Phuket. After getting married in Chaing Mai, I plan on applying for 1 yr extension marriage Chiang Mai Imm. However due to mine and his work restraints, I will have to return to Phuket (where I have been living for past 6mth) and he has to stay in Chiang Mai.

If I am reporting every 90days in the Phuket Imm office, should this matter? Surely I do not need to fly back and report to Chiang Mai Imm every 90days?

This is a genuine relationship and we have been doing long distance for a while, so are used to it

. Just not sure how it would work in terms of my visa and immigration requirements. Thanks,

You know that they come and check and interview neighbours.

The rules states "In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto"

This means that you have to live together as man and wife to get the extension.

If you get the extension then go to Phuket immigration and notify that you have moved to Phuket.

They might also give you a hard time because you don't live together.

Let us know how it works out.

One more thing.

You know that initially you only get 30 day "under consideration" stamp first.

Then you have to get your real stamp 30 days later.

Get your new husband to Phuket and make the extension there.

He only have to be present during the interview.

No flight to Chiang Mai to pick up your 1 year stamp.

No problems with 90 day reporting.

Thanks, So it would be ok to officially marry in Chiang Mai (thought would be the best place as thats is where my bf is from) and then apply for extension in Phuket?

but then, wouldn't Phuket immigration need the same proof that we are living together in Phuket?

They require proof that you live together in Chiang Mai and in Phuket.

Select the place were your neighbours are willing to testify that you live together.

Poorsucker, I don't know where you get the idea from that immigration is coming over to your neighbors to interview them about your relationship but that is utter BxxSxxT .

Phuket immigration is not inspecting or interviewing people at all in their houses.

The only requirement is that both persons are applying for the extension of stay together so the immigration officer can do the so called interview there and then while he is typing out the official application forms.

According the law they can come to your house ( after the application is done ) to check that you are really living together at the provided address.

For this reason you have to supply a map of your house location and a picture of both persons in front of your house with the house number visible in the picture.

( the house number showing in the picture is not enforced as long they can see the house and both persons in the picture )

Don’t worry that you are living in Phuket and your husband in CM.

But for the sake of the extension of stay application you have to live together on one address in Phuket. That he is going back to CM after the application is done nobody cares.

Edited by merijn

]

Poorsucker, I don't know where you get the idea from that immigration is coming over to your neighbors to interview them about your relationship but that is utter BxxSxxT

They came and interviewed my neighbours on Koh Samui.

If they came to interview your neighbours then your neighbour should tell them to sod of. :realangry:

Nowhere in the law gives them the right to interview your neighbours to get information about your situation.

They can come within the 30 day under consideration period to your house to check that you are really living together on the address provided during the application.

Maybe they came and you were not at home and in their upper wisdom decided to go to your neighbours. B)

In the 22 years living in Thailand we never had immigration checking on us at our house.

Maybe other provinces do this but not ( so far i know ) in Phuket.