Can'T Take It Anymore!

geronimo

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does 'learnt' keep coming up as a mistake on word documents ??

Because you have not tellt it to accept it.

SC

Computers are smart, aren't they?:rolleyes:

the ones Microsoft runs are certainly smart enough to undermine British English. In fact they make it a challenge to continue using anything other than american english.

Edited by nocturn

What is Grevion ?., i poor it over me dinner. I likes a drop of Gravey on me Spuds.:whistling:

me vs my. "gravy on me spuds", that can't possible be correct English?

English people are always complaining that Americans don't speak "proper" English, but as far as I'm concerned Americans are a lot easier to understand than English people speaking weird dialects.

(Disclaimer: I'm neither English or American)

English people are always complaining that Americans don't speak "proper" English

It's just non stop isn't it? My mother called me in tears yesterday

"Darling, I've got some sad news. Your beloved nan passed away about an hour ago and don't you just hate the way that those Yanks use " hood " for " bonnet " and " trunk " for "boot " on a car?"

:D

You might lose your cool over the loose use of grammar here. Happy birthday, im a non native english speaker and many times im too lazy to look what i have written.

I hope we meet up in shadow lake, still have to work out the details more. (meaning i don't know what my Dutch friend wants to do when he arrives.)

I think the Op was compaining about speloling rather then Grimmer

What is Grevion ?., i poor it over me dinner. I likes a drop of Gravey on me Spuds.:whistling:

me vs my. "gravy on me spuds", that can't possible be correct English?

English people are always complaining that Americans don't speak "proper" English, but as far as I'm concerned Americans are a lot easier to understand than English people speaking weird dialects.

(Disclaimer: I'm neither English or American)

Watch a few episodes of East Enders, you will soon get the hang of things.

I'm a looser baby , so why don't you kill me :rolleyes:

Oh no , I can feel a tourette coming on

Sounds like an affliction that could be resolved with a few beers.

:thumbsup: Leo and my old loved , but sadly a bit scratched Martin Deny LP with my son rambling on aboot pirate ships and treasure .Indeed .

You might lose your cool over the loose use of grammar here. Happy birthday, im a non native english speaker and many times im too lazy to look what i have written.

I hope we meet up in shadow lake, still have to work out the details more. (meaning i don't know what my Dutch friend wants to do when he arrives.)

I think the Op was compaining about speloling rather then Grimmer

I can recall teaching here in Thailand about 6 years ago..The person who was the head of the English Department only wanted me to teach the students how to speak. She was in charge of teaching them grammARRRRRRRRRRRRR a very long pronunciation or the R. My ears could barely recognize her pronounciation. I said you mean grammar as I pronounced it correctly. She then said to me, "That is the Thai English pronounciation." I then proceeded to explain to her as best I could, that there is no such thing as Thai English of English Thai, or Thai German or German Thai etc,etc,etc. Of course I didn't score any points with her, but I didn't really care a tinker's dam any way. After 3 months of being teaching a classroom of 55 students and being a policemen at the same time, I told them to shove it.

I can recall teaching here in Thailand about 6 years ago..The person who was the head of the English Department only wanted me to teach the students how to speak. She was in charge of teaching them grammARRRRRRRRRRRRR a very long pronunciation or the R. My ears could barely recognize her pronounciation. I said you mean grammar as I pronounced it correctly. She then said to me, "That is the Thai English pronounciation." I then proceeded to explain to her as best I could, that there is no such thing as Thai English of English Thai, or Thai German or German Thai etc,etc,etc. Of course I didn't score any points with her, but I didn't really care a tinker's dam any way. After 3 months of being teaching a classroom of 55 students and being a policemen at the same time, I told them to shove it.

I know what you mean. My first Thai teacher told me the way to pronounce ice cream was I Keem.

I told her, “no it's not, it's ice cream.”

She explained it was the way Thais pronounced the English word ice cream. Not that it was correct but the English word had gone into the Thai vocabulary as I Keem.

I then made a mental leap. I began to try and understand instead of educate. I only answered questions that were asked. I lowered my expectations of my students to rudimentary concepts. I got used to the idea that school was supposed to be fun and that I was a clown. Instead of a hundred words I tried teaching ten.

But it is easy to see the frustration of people on this forum when words are misspelled or misused. I can only wonder at the frustration they must feel if they teach in a Thai government school.

why does 'learnt' keep coming up as a mistake on word documents ??

Because you have not tellt it to accept it.

SC

Computers are smart, aren't they?:rolleyes:

the ones Microsoft runs are certainly smart enough to undermine British English. In fact they make it a challenge to continue using anything other than american english.

Turn it off. Go pidgin to pull the birds.

SC

Embarrassingly I rely on Bill Gates to remind me how to spell 'embarrassment' for example, and 'tenement',

SC

Embarrassingly I rely on Bill Gates to remind me how to spell 'embarrassment' for example, and 'tenement',

I've found it much easier to never have to spell either embarrassment or tenement, and I already know how to spell beer and ice.

Simplifies things.

:)mario299

QUOTE:

SC

ENDQUOTE

I've found it much easier to never have to spell either embarrassment or tenement, and I already know how to spell beer and ice.

Simplifies things.

:)mario299

Some of us have to know how to spell 'luxury condo' and 'mooban villa'

I have to know "tenement' and 'squat' and 'rachmanism'; embarrassingly.

The next step down will be "bridge" and 'anatole france'

SC