Lost My Non-O Visa

I just got my second 1 year extension back in January and was told to just purchase the re-entry stamp at the airport if I leave the country. Seems easy enough if I wasn't an idiot and forgot to get the appropriate re-entry stamps at the airport. Now, my extension is void and I need to start the non-o visa process from scratch.

Can I apply for the non-o in Bangkok? Do they issue the visa the same day or will I need to go to Bangkok to pick it up?

Immigration in Jomtien informed me that I would be issued a non-o in Bangkok and then after 3 months I could apply for a 1 year visa extension. The immigration officer's English was lacking and I'm not sure what this means. Can I get a 1 year extension in Jomtien after my non-o is approved in Bangkok? I'm hoping that I don't have to make the dreaded visa runs every three months for a year before I can apply for the 1 year extension.

Thanks for any help that help me understand the process.

Assuming you're back on a visa-exemption.

You can convert to a 3-month non-o stay at immigration (2000 Baht IIRC). There are qualification requirements (marriage or of retirement age I believe).

During the last 30 days of that stay you can commence the extension process on whatever grounds you used last time (1900 Baht).

Always wise to get a single re-entry permit when you get your extension, 1000 Baht well spent.

Assuming you're back on a visa-exemption.

You can convert to a 3-month non-o stay at immigration (2000 Baht IIRC). There are qualification requirements (marriage or of retirement age I believe).

I've never heard of this. You're saying that on a visa-exemption, one can just stroll up to immigration and get a 3 month non-O if they are married? What paperwork is required?

Proof of meeting extension of stay for marriage/retirement requirements. It is only provided in the process.

Just a question: If he arrived on a visa exempt stamp, can he still change that to a non-O? I would have thought he'd have to leave the country to get a non-O and arrive on that in order to later get an extension based on marriage or retirement. If he can change it from a visa-exempt to a non-O visa, this is generally good news.

The Immigration Department cannot issue any entry visa : only extension of existing entry visa's ......<br>......and those entry visa's can only be issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad, preferably in your country of origin where they are best equipped to check any supporting documents.<br><br>

Immigration can and do change entry status to non immigrant for extensions of stay. A non immigrant visa entry can be obtained on either a tourist visa or visa exempt entry in the process to extend for marriage/retirement. Not all offices can do but everyone can use Bangkok for the process if there local office does not. Then for the actual extension of stay they would do that at there local office. The old requirement was 21 days remaining but with the new 15 day land entry they have lowered that and have seen reports down to a couple of days remaining being accepted.

The O/Ps situation is NOT unique, and happens quite a LOT.

Ive personally seen it in 15 - 20 cases. ..

In fact it happened a LOT more when Thai Immigrations at Suvarnabhumi (in their infinite wisdom :blink: ), decided to stop selling re-entry permits for a while. As they now do sell re-entry permits at Suvarnabhumi, (from 6:00AM to 12:AM) its happening less. It still trips people up who need to leave for emergencies etc. :(

In other news; I recently accompanied an acquaintance to Changwattana to secure a Non-Immigrant Type-O visa. At the time he was only here on a 15 day visa exempt stamp. He'd left the country without geting a re-entry permit and that canceled his old extension of stay.

They issued a 90 day Non-O single entry, and told him to return in 60 days to apply for a new yearly extension of stay based on retirement. Even though he met the financial obligations at the time the Immigration Officer wouldnt do the two-step process (issue the Non-O and then the extension of stay) at the same time.

Sometimes they do, :) and sometimes they dont :( . ..

Edited by tod-daniels

Thanks everybody for the replies.

It looks like I need to make the drive to bangkok on Monday and get a non-o based on marriage. Have a tourist visa at the moment and it is valid through May 27. I have about 1 mil baht in my account at Bangkok Bank but only 200,000 has been there for over 2 months. The immigration officer in Jomtien told me this wouldn't be an issue. Oddly enough it was the same person that made me get an extension a few months earlier because my money wasn't seasoned when applying for a 12 month extension.

Went to Bangkok on Monday and have few questions. All the support staff at the information desk located in the room where everyone fills out their applications adamantly told me I had to leave the country and apply for a non-o. Thanks to the information given to me on this forum I didn't concede that I needed to leave the country. I at least wanted to meet with an immigration officer.

Anyhow, met with the immigration officer that walked me through the non-O based on marriage process and I think all is OK. After giving her all the appropriate docs, she told me come back on May 25.

I thought it would all be done on the same day. Is this the normal process?

Thanks again for all the help and without it I would be on a plane today for Laos. Still feel like a complete fool for forgetting to get my re-entry stamp.

Edited by siamamerican

Sometimes you get it the same day, sometimes you have to come back 1 week later. With all the upcoming holidays not surprised it will take a bit longe than usual.

But rest assured. That they accepted it means it seems OK, the rest is more a formality.