Do U Need A Work Permit To Buy A Bike

I have a friend wanting to buy a new bike.

He has a 1 year B Visa. But no work permit. He has been refused to buy because no WP.

He has a Tabien Bahn verified by embassy.

Has anyone bought a bike without a WP?

What area of thailand?

Can anyone advise how to buy so I can tell my friend please.

Here on Samui you can buy with a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Only need a letter from immigration to confirm your address in Thailand.

Agree with the above. My mate did the same a while ago.

Cheer, Rick

Here on Samui you can buy with a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Only need a letter from immigration to confirm your address in Thailand.

Agree with the above. My mate did the same a while ago.

Cheer, Rick

I did the same a couple of times in Pattaya, no problem.

also many dealers have NO CLUE when it comes to selling to foreigners. What Sumet said is correct.. why don't you just buy the bike from there they speak English after all (presuming it's a Honda)

also many dealers have NO CLUE when it comes to selling to foreigners. What Sumet said is correct.. why don't you just buy the bike from there they speak English after all (presuming it's a Honda)

Thanks for the plug Thaicbr. We sell Hondas out of this branch. We also have other branches that sell Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Vespa. Mostly scooters and bikes under 250 cc though. We don't do big bikes yet, but it is something we are thinking of getting into.

Brian

081-919-8570

www.hondasumetcycle.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sumet-Cycle-Company/115295601855129

I purchased my scooter on a tourist visa, also needed the letter from immigration, Iam in Pattaya.

I believe this is a Pattaya special arrangement. Everywhere else its some form of Non-Immigrant visa.

Sticking point is normally your address. You can either go to your embassy and pay a couple of thousand baht for a letter that says 'Mr X has indicated he lives here', or immigration can do it, but they don't like doing it and may make up some excuse as to why they can't do it. It really irritates me this address thing; whats the point of either letter; who know where you live?

I believe this is a Pattaya special arrangement. Everywhere else its some form of Non-Immigrant visa.

On Samui it works great, you only have to tell the immigrations officer where you live and donate 500 baht. <_<

I purchased my scooter on a tourist visa, also needed the letter from immigration, Iam in Pattaya.

Indeed, on Samui you don't even need a visa.

im from phuket, today i went to transfer a big bike to my name. i went to immigration got the paper from them they asked for my work permit which i produced. then we went to the transport place, they didnt even want the paper from immigration, but wanted a copy of every page of my work permit, and a copy of my visa and pasport and also the owners visa and passport. im not sure if i didnt have a w.p if they would complete the transfer but they certainly asked for it!

Thanks guys for the replies. Interesting results.

Seems depends where you are ...and how lucky you are, what you need.

My friend gave up trying.....and bought under his GF's name. He is in Hat Yai.

Amazing Thailand again. Try and legally put money into the Thai economy and refused!! Spend the same amount on whisky and no red tape at all.......whats the difference? Except a hellava hang over!

last week Pattaya, i have non b no permit, they will not give credit without WP but buying i was out on it with in 1 hour of handing over cash.

have to go back next week with letter from immigration, that means copy passpoert pictures, copy blue book, signed by landlord in my case. then book and plates come in my name. purchased other bike on multiple entry also have car in my name with same deatails as above.

bike yes credit no.

ouch just read put in girlfriends name, gave up!!! no reason why legally he could not have got it in his name anywhere. law changed on that one about 9 years ago i think possibly longer. he could have 100% got it in his name.

Edited by NALAK

last week Pattaya, i have non b no permit, they will not give credit without WP but buying i was out on it with in 1 hour of handing over cash.

have to go back next week with letter from immigration, that means copy passpoert pictures, copy blue book, signed by landlord in my case. then book and plates come in my name. purchased other bike on multiple entry also have car in my name with same deatails as above.

bike yes credit no.

ouch just read put in girlfriends name, gave up!!! no reason why legally he could not have got it in his name anywhere. law changed on that one about 9 years ago i think possibly longer. he could have 100% got it in his name.

I think his "want" emotion took over. Seeing "his bike" sitting there waiting was just too much temptation.

I said to him about the replies here, the transport department (or whatever its called) apparently flatly refused to accept anything except the WP. Bloody stupid because the address verification is the same. He had the address details and the letter from embassy but they just wouldnt accept. It says on the Transport Dept's website "either WP or Addy confirmation " is ok!! he had copies of that in Thai and in English to show them.

Ive always had a WP when buying bikes so no problems for me, but next time i probably wont have one, so this info is good for me, and I would think, others also

You need a "Certificate of Residency" from Thai Immigration, and it is only good for 30 days. In Pattaya they will give you this paper even if you only have a 30-day visa-exempt stamp and reside at the Captain's Corner Guesthouse on Soi Honey. My friend tried to get one in Bangkok with his tourist visa and they laughed in his face, saying you need a Non-O to get the paper. So it varies from place to place.

Chiang Mai Land Transportation demands, if no WP, that we have Non-Im O visa and proof of residency, as established by Immigration for a fee of 500 baht, and it's only good for one month, even if you own a condo or have a long term lease and it is the beginning of your annual visa. Immigration requires copies of three pages from visa and copies of residency docs plus 2 photos, every time.

We have a large number of expats who live here, so the 500 baht fee is doubtless a joy to someone to collect prior to every purchase of a motor vehicle or drivers license (motorcycle and/or car). Also, waiting can be tiresome here, Immigration in particular.

You can either go to your embassy and pay a couple of thousand baht for a letter that says 'Mr X has indicated he lives here' ..

I asked my embassy yesterday (SWE) and they say they do it all the time and it cost´ 530b , hopefully it also works at thai authorities as i need a car quick when i get there in june and i dont have an adress really other then wife´s family to start with! whistling.gif

A one year visa and address verification is enough to buy a bike. If you are going to finance, most dealers want to see a work permit. Best of luck.

Brian

any kind of permit to stay, from 14 days entry stamp and upwards. and address verification from Immigration or your Embassy.

Thats it.

Done it on +25 vehicles past +8 years

Financing requires a good cashflow in Thai bank account, done it on 3 cars in my name. Tanachart, Tisco and Ayudhya (GE Capital). Some others require WP.