China Garden No Way

Yenoormit

Well I don't know why the first post was closed but maybe the owner asked for it due to bad reports? I'm still at the table here and I have to say I am not impressed at all. Chicken Chow Mien, Chicken Chop Suay, Mixed vegetables, and 2 beer Leo= 500 baht. The chop suey and the chow mien tasted the same except for some water chessnut's. Most boring I have ever had. The stir fried veggies were un-eatable and the Broccoli must have been 3 days old. Looks great on the plate but better off left there. I'm into taste NOT looks. Nothing like western Chinese food at all. I'm not a high roller when it comes to spending a lot on eating out but every so often I treat myself. Now I'm sitting here whiting I just went for 30 baht KHao Pat. I didn't even ask to have the left overs to take home. I think Bok Choy is MUCH better and even that doesn't compare to western style Chin food. I WON'T BE BACK !!!

Yeah...my impressions exactly. :bah: I couldn't post my review as the thread had already been closed and thought that opening another one would be considered duplicative. However, did have some PMs with some members and they too agreed that the place was crap. But don't tell this to all those Chinese food experts who were praising this "English" Chinese food place to high heaven. Heck, the English can barely make edible "English" English food...why would anyone think they could make Chinese food :lol:

Edited by FarangBuddha

Yeah...my impressions exactly. :bah: I couldn't post my review as the thread had already been closed and thought that opening another one would be considered duplicative. However, did have some PMs with some members and they too agreed that the place was crap. But don't tell this to all those Chinese food experts who were praising this "English" Chinese food place to high heaven. Heck, the English can barely make edible "English" English food...why would anyone think they could make Chinese food :lol:

Have you ever seen an English person working in a Chinese restaurant?

However, did have some PMs with some members and they too agreed that the place was crap. But don't tell this to all those Chinese food experts who were praising this "English" Chinese food place to high heaven. Heck, the English can barely make edible "English" English food...why would anyone think they could make Chinese food :lol:

Did you try the Bangers Mash Gung Hoy? It was as good as it is in London! :o

I'm surprised to read this as the reports I've heard have all been positive about this place.

It might be as I have no idea what "English" style Chinese food is supposed to taste like. However, what I had was not like any Chinese food I've ever had (like kung pao chicken with no peanuts) ...and even the steamed rice was mushy.

Chicken tikka massala, english food made by english people. yummy, dont tell me you think its still roast beef, english breakfast, sprouts etc, chinese shops in UK actually without exception from China many Hong Kong. try getting a good chinese in UK during Chinese new year.

dissapointed in feedback was looking forwards to a special curry fried rice, wont be going now.

Edited by NALAK

Personally, I very much enjoyed my first visit. I ordered different things the second time and that time it was a poor experience. I don't want to mention the dishes as I wish to be incognito there. I do think the place has some work to do to make all the dishes decent and closer to people's EXPECTATIONS (like any restaurant). My initial review was probably premature; I did rave but have to back off the rave. Another point, a member PMed me telling me the kung pao chicken had no peanuts and a black bean sauce dish had almost no black beans. That isn't cool and westernized food or not, kind of insulting to the clientele. Best wishes that the place listens to their critics as sadly there is indeed ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. I think there is hope though.

BTW, I really don't think the original thread was closed due to an owner complaint. There was bickering going on and a mod thought the news of the new place had played out. I also strongly felt it was closed TOO SOON and happy to see it being discussed again. Also, I did PM the owner to share some suggestions from myself and others who PMed me but sadly he hasn't even logged on to read it.

Edited by Jingthing

I ordered two beef dishes. The portions were much smaller (new serving plates are small triangles), the beef was of a lower quality, and the sauces were not as good. The quality has declined compared to my three previous visits.

I ordered two beef dishes. The portions were much smaller (new serving plates are small triangles), the beef was of a lower quality, and the sauces were not as good. The quality has declined compared to my three previous visits.

Now this is kind of funny. The first time I was there (yes large portions then) the owner was joking that people were "complaining" about large portions and many customers asked for containers to take food home. Maybe more people should have PRAISED the place for ample portions. Yes, the second time portion size was an issue on one dish (also it was a noodle dish with a shockingly small amount of noodles in it), but the other dish was big enough but almost inedible. Did this place peak the first week?

Edited by Jingthing

It should not come as a great surprise that there are thousands of first generation Hong Kong Chinese in the UK (and Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi's too) which explains why there is so much excellent Chinese (and Indian sub-continental) food in the UK.

Unfortunately, the "English style' Chinese/Indian food here in Pattaya rarely comes up to expectations (and the same goes for the fish and chips). I don't know whether this is due to the ingredients or the cooks.

After reading rave reviews, we tried the China Garden, and were very disappointed. There's no excuse for overcooked prawns, watery curry sauce, and slices of stewed duck masquerading as crispy aromatic duck. It's a shame, because the place is nice, clean and well presented and the staff were very pleasant.

Yes, but this is the weird part. My first visit gave me the impression that the chef is talented. But if that's true, why doesn't he show it? Some places I think there is no hope, but this place, I still think the chef is capable and I don't understand what's stopping him from doing it right. Some internal soap opera? Thai girl trouble? Time for Gordon Ramsey?

That all said, why should we pay good money for not very good food? Shoulda Woulda Coulda ...

Some of you may know the owner personally. He has a great space there and I think people would be very forgiving if word gets out that this place has turned itself around ... but for that to happen, it actually has to turn itself around.

Edited by Jingthing

the chef has his day off on tuesday

I know as I bumped into him when he was playing pool - BTW, he's dangerous at pool!

I visited on 1st May (I think) and I wasn't disappointed - ordered spare ribs and crispy duck, and the portions were too big for my stomach.

Interesting. I think my visit with the surprisingly bad food may have been on a Tuesday. I recall the staff seemed nervous and showing that things were going wrong. The plot thickens.

Maybe they should CLOSE on Tuesdays? Up to them, but if they are going to serve bad food on any day, don't be surprised if people talk about it and damage their rep.

BTW, can someone explain to me why any Chinese restaurant anywhere in the world serving westernized Chinese food or not, would not include PEANUTS in Kung Pao Chicken or fail to include visible Chinese black beans in a black bean sauce stir fry dish?

Edited by Jingthing

I wasn't impressed on my first visit

I had "sweet and sour " pork but when I posted here I was trying to understand what "English style" Chinese was all about so I didn't report on the quality, in case English style was supposed to be so bland :jap:

I wasn't impressed on my first visit

I had "sweet and sour " pork but when I posted here I was trying to understand what "English style" Chinese was all about so I didn't report on the quality, in case English style was supposed to be so bland :jap:

i am sorry to see this thread but i have to agree with it

i was a huge fan of this place when it FIRST opened and shouted its praises loudly

there was a farang in charge called George, he was very attentive to every detail

i have been five times in all

twice since Georges departure, its gone downhill but the thread had closed by then and did not want to start a new bad one

i spoke to Jing about it and we shared our concerns

my previous glowing reports stand for that honeymoon period only

unfortunately they do not apply now, the foods not a patch on what it was

it maybe that the much vaunted from UK Chef Moon seems to spend more time out of the kitchen playing mine host than actually in it

i am amazed how this restaurant has gone from hero to zero in such a short space of time......

Not funny racist joke and quoted reply removed from view'

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

When I tried the restaurant about a month ago, all the reviews I read were very positive, so I thought perhaps there was something wrong with my taste when I found it very mediocre. The egg rolls, while large and good looking, were fried in old oil that tasted slightly off. The hot & sour soup was way too salty. The crispy noodles were tasteless.

I really liked the atmosphere and the service, so it was hard to complain, but I haven't rushed back. Now I'm sad to see that others agree with me. Perhaps it is a difference between British and American taste (I'm from New York and San Francisco).

Not British, but I think rancid oil and extreme over salting are rather universal taste objections. BTW, I had the same soup and it was seasoned very well, definitely not over salty. Another dish the second time was perhaps the most over salted dish I had ever been served in my entire life and that includes dishes that are named after salt. I was stupid for not sending it back.

Edited by Jingthing

Now this is kind of funny. The first time I was there (yes large portions then) the owner was joking that people were "complaining" about large portions and many customers asked for containers to take food home. Maybe more people should have PRAISED the place for ample portions. Yes, the second time portion size was an issue on one dish (also it was a noodle dish with a shockingly small amount of noodles in it), but the other dish was big enough but almost inedible. Did this place peak the first week?

That's usually a complaint of mine in many places although I've not been to China Garden.

Hmmm. Well, I'd rather have a small portion of something excellent to a large portion of something crappy, but what's the problem with a large portion of something excellent? Diet concerns, I guess, but personally if I'm still hungry I'll eat something else anyway.

Hmmm. Well, I'd rather have a small portion of something excellent to a large portion of something crappy, but what's the problem with a large portion of something excellent? Diet concerns, I guess, but personally if I'm still hungry I'll eat something else anyway.

I was always brought up not to waste food so it's a case of half size, half price, and everyone's happy. And like you say if it's not enough you can order something else.

I was always brought up not to waste food so it's a case of half size, half price, and everyone's happy. And like you say if it's not enough you can order something else.

You're talking tapas. Anyway, traditionally Chinese food is served family style so you order lots of dishes and you share (and usually large sized items like whole fish, etc.). On the other hand if I order a noodle dish and there are about five noodles in it, this does not please. It's a complex subject, lots of cultural expectations involved in it, and of course many restaurants are understandably trying to serve as little as they can (without prompting complaints or lost business) for the highest possible price. Back to this restaurant in question, they are charging enough for the food to offer both decent quality food AND an ample portion, in my view anyway. And also some peanuts for their kung pao ...

Edited by Jingthing

When ever I go, the chef is always absent. I see him on the street or riding his motorcycle. He complained to me of the heat in the kitchen.

The place is out of my way so I think I will pass on all future visits.

I might try lunch buffet during cool season in Nov or Dec.

When ever I go, the chef is always absent. I see him on the street or riding his motorcycle. He complained to me of the heat in the kitchen.

The place is out of my way so I think I will pass on all future visits.

I might try lunch buffet during cool season in Nov or Dec.

Let's hear about the Lunch Buffet... any good?

The soap opera develops. A possibly prima donna chef who likes to party. This all sounds familiar ...

Interesting, weren't we told this Hong Kong chef was on a two year contract...seems like the fast pace and bright lights of Pattaya have already led to his downfall. I wonder what her name is...and I hope she likes bad Chinese food :)