Ko Larn

macknife

I'm looking to transport my motorbike on the ferry to Ko Larn.

I have been there before and have always got the ferry from Bali Hai pier but I have never noticed any motorbikes on it.

Does anyone know which ferry I take to get my bike across(Honda Airblade)? Times and cost also. I don't live in Pattaya otherwise I would go and ask myself at the pier.

Also any recommendations on places to stay in the village that aren't too expensive?

Thanks in advance.

For better or worse, my answer is it can be done but only on certain ferries and they wanted 200-250 ฿ which might only be a foreigner price or a scam altogether (being cynical in Thailand). When done properly, 2-3 males will lift your bike into the ferry but it is not secured otherwise so I would stay nearby. I hire a bike for 200 baht/day.

I highly recommend the Napuk Resort (pronounced NAPAK. 600 ฿/night) as it's the most inexpensive for a small bungalow but very quiet and clean. From the 7-11, walk 1/4 km to your right towards the only beach to the right of the 7-11. There is 1 other hotel in that area that is also 600 ฿/night but noisier as it's near the main road.

Edit: I found some pics of Napuk and I recommend to use these do it yourself petrol fill ups as the rate is better.

post-130327-0-90831100-1304835992_thumb.

post-130327-0-33192300-1304835995_thumb.

post-130327-0-15022300-1304836004_thumb.

Edited by gaga2011

Thanks Gaga.

Does anyone know what times these 'certain' ferries leave and is it from the Bali hai pier also?

I know you can reant bikes there for about 200Baht but when i went there last time that was only until about 6pm and not the whole night. I think they wanted about 350B for the whole night.

Edited by macknife

Thanks Gaga.

Does anyone know what times these 'certain' ferries leave and is it from the Bali hai pier also?

To my knowledge all the old ferries at the end of Bali Hai do. Every half hour. I've noticed Thais seem to pay the same price.

here is my technique... go straight down to the pier on your bike. get there by the time the incoming ferry unloads. once all the passengers have disembarked, you'll be able to see who is working on the boat. just stop one of them and politely ask if you can bring your bike.

last time i went down there with the bike, the water was too choppy. so, if you are going on a very windy or wave-choppy day, they won't take your bike. gotta be smooth sailing...

here is my technique... go straight down to the pier on your bike. get there by the time the incoming ferry unloads. once all the passengers have disembarked, you'll be able to see who is working on the boat. just stop one of them and politely ask if you can bring your bike.

last time i went down there with the bike, the water was too choppy. so, if you are going on a very windy or wave-choppy day, they won't take your bike. gotta be smooth sailing...

Lets hope the sea is ok tomorrow then.

Thanks for your help guys.

Just to let you all know, it went well. Arrived in Pattaya about 4.30 and 4 guys lifted it straight onto the ferry (200baht). Coming back the midday ferry had only 2 guys so they said they couldn't, but the 2pm ferry was fine.

Just to let you all know, it went well. Arrived in Pattaya about 4.30 and 4 guys lifted it straight onto the ferry (200baht). Coming back the midday ferry had only 2 guys so they said they couldn't, but the 2pm ferry was fine.

can you explain again? what ferry did you take (what time?) to get to Koh Larn and what ferry you came back on? you paid 200bt each time?

can you explain again? what ferry did you take (what time?) to get to Koh Larn and what ferry you came back on? you paid 200bt each time?

I took the 5pm ferry from Bali hai pier. It took me to the pier in the village, not on the main "taweng beach?" which is what i wanted anyway.

Returning i took the ferry from the village pier again back to Bali hai pier. And yes it was 200B both times.

Did you experience something different?

I took the 5pm ferry from Bali hai pier. It took me to the pier in the village, not on the main "taweng beach?" which is what i wanted anyway.

Returning i took the ferry from the village pier again back to Bali hai pier. And yes it was 200B both times.

nope. i was just confused on the times you gave. so, you spent the night on the island, yeah? thanks so much for keeping your thread updated!

nope. i was just confused on the times you gave. so, you spent the night on the island, yeah? thanks so much for keeping your thread updated!

I spent 3 nights on the island. Very nice, great weather, the beach where you have to walk along a wooden bridge to get to it, is the best.

what's the nightlife over there? any pics to share? the wife and i are thinking about going for a night or two.

also, hate to be a pain in the ass. maybe i should just PM you, but... can you tell us where you stayed?

Edited by anothertorres

what's the nightlife over there? any pics to share? the wife and i are thinking about going for a night or two.

also, hate to be a pain in the ass. maybe i should just PM you, but... can you tell us where you stayed?

Nightlife, ha! there is none, none at all. Everything (except the 711) is pretty much closed by 9pm. they played a football match 2 out of 3 nights when i was there, next to the local temple. It semed half the town went to watch them though my gf and I didnt. It was pretty much, buy a few beers, head back to the bungalow, turn on the cable TV and maybe a bit of you know what.

I haven't uploaded any pics to my com yet but i can assure you it's worth a visit. It was cloudy and rainy in pattaya when i arrived but the weather on the island was great. Make sure you bring some sunscreen and the misses covers up, or you'll be burnt to cinders and she'll change colour in minutes.(If she's thai) My misses had on factor 30 and was showing strap marks after 20mins.

I stayed at Chu sri resort, about 5mins walk from the 711(there's only one on the island) or the village pier side. its very easy to get to but kinda hard to explain. From the 711 (with your back to it) follow the road around to your right, there's a small junction but keep going straight up about another 50m and it's on your left side opp' a right turn. the price was pretty good for Koh larn as im pretty sure there's not much cheaper. (I saw many rooms for 3000-4000B per night) During the week 600B fan room, 800B aircon room, 1000B Bungalow. I paid 2100 for 3 nights in the aircon room, (you'll need it). The prices go up 200B for the weekend though. I've stayed in the bungalows before and they are very nice but the aircon room was fine too. if you smoke, it says you can't smoke in the rooms, but they had no problem with me doing it.

I presume you're taking your bike, so don't go to the main taweng beach, its horrible what they've done to a glorious beach.(You'll have to see for yourself) instead exlpore the island. You can pretty much drive over and down every road on the entire island in about 2 hours. Again from the 711, to the right side follow the road all the way to the end and there's a lovely beach there. From the left of the 711 you can follow the road to monkey beach which is also quite nice. Or from that road you can make a right turn and follow the road to samae beach which was a bit too (package) touristy for me, ignore that and keep following the road around to the end and there's a great beach there, stunning. Its amazing that there are white sand beaches with crystal clear water so close to pattaya.

Near samae beach there's a turn off that takes you up to the radio transmitter on the top of the island, you'll see wind turbines along the side of the road as you go up(its very steep), the views are amazing and its well worth going up there.

My last bit of advice is to eat in the town before you go to the beaches. In the town its pretty much thai prices for food in the little mom and pop ventures,(30-40B) a little pricier in the nicer looking restaurants but that pales in comparison if you try to eat on the beaches. You'll be looking about 150B for a fried rice dish on the beach and anything fancier was heading up to 300-400B a dish. You wouldn't mind but the restaurants on the beach look nothing better than the mom and pop restaurant in the town.

Anyway, let me know how you get on.

Edited by macknife