New Baby Due Soon.

I am wondering if someone else has been through this little hurdle. My Thai wife and I are expecting our first child in a few weeks. I would like to know some of the ins and outs of citizenship rights for the baby. We are a little concerned about later travel and of course the Thai conscription for the child, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

You can register the baby at the um pair office I'n village and also at the ukba consulte where your child will have dual citizenship. I did it myself it's quite easy and simple we have both Thai and British passports and Thai and British birth certificate I forget what the cost are. Good luck

Bellboy, the OP is Australian.

Although I am pretty sure that Australia allows dual citizenship (I know Thailand does) I am not sure of the procedure for obtaining an Australian passport for the child..

Child will have both nationalities and both countries allow this. Simply register the birth at the amphur and with the Thai birth certificate register the birth with the Australian embassy. Look at their webiste for more details.

You talk about your wife, so presume you are indeed married, so need to legitimize the child.

Travel for the child is easy: leave and enter Thailand on the Thai passport, enter and leave Australia on the Australian passport. At check in at the airport show both passports, so the airline knows no visa is required for either country.

Bellboy, the OP is Australian.

Although I am pretty sure that Australia allows dual citizenship (I know Thailand does) I am not sure of the procedure for obtaining an Australian passport for the child..

After registering the birth at the Australian Embassy (requires passport of Australian parent and suitable ID - passport or bàt bpràchaachon - from other parent, plus original Thai birth certificate), you will receive a certificate entitled "Extract of Register of Citizenship by Descent". This will be your child's proof of Australian citizenship and must be supplied when applying for an Australian passport. Australia does permit dual nationality.