Visa Run Penang

I just got back from Penang Malaysia and would like to explain the new rules for tourist visa as there is always allot of misunderstanding and misinterpretation going on about this.

Personally I love Penang as it is very friendly and probably the only place in the world where you can get a dose of authentic old Chinese culture and south Indian Hindu culture in one small town with all the amazing food and music that goes with it which is why I prefer to go there rather than Laos which is rather boring place for me. Not to mention the Malay culture which keeps things rather laid back.

They are only looking at the past 365 days in your passport and they will be looking to see if you got three tourist visas ( a double entry would count as two)

during that time period. If so you will NOT get a visa. If you only got two single entry tourist visas in your passport during the past 365 days you WILL get a visa.

They are also looking at extensions. If you got an extension for your tourist visa you may be denied as well but it seems to be secondary to the number of visas in importance. I believe they may overlook an extension however I am not absolutely clear on that point so if you want clarification you should contact banana guest house as they seem to be the most clear and forthright about the rules. If you tell them exactly whats in your passport they will give you a definite answer.

If you go back to your home country everything is canceled and you get to start over.

Border runs are not a factor and are not considered.

I think this is pretty fair as you can combine a few border runs and there you have it!

Good luck and enjoy Penang!

:D

• 3 months later...

Hi devaram,

What you say worries me...

I am in Koh Samui, and want to go to Penang to get new 2 months visa...

And on past 12 month, I have 3 "2 month visa" where 2 of them where extended for 30 days (and now I'm on that third visa, in the 30 day extension).

So you say there is very few chances I get new 2 months tourist visa? And very very few chances to get double entry visa...?

Thanks

Hi devaram,

What you say worries me...

I am in Koh Samui, and want to go to Penang to get new 2 months visa...

And on past 12 month, I have 3 "2 month visa" where 2 of them where extended for 30 days (and now I'm on that third visa, in the 30 day extension).

So you say there is very few chances I get new 2 months tourist visa? And very very few chances to get double entry visa...?

Thanks

Ok I dont think you will get it but here is what you should do.

Go to Penang because its a great place to visit and go to the Banana guest house on Julia street and they will tell you if you can get another visa.

If they cannot get you another visa then you can go to KL and you will get one there.

Kl should be no problem for single entry.

If you want double entry go to Cambodia.

Since Penang is on the way to KL you have nothing to lose by stopping there.

Next time consider doing a few border runs between visas as they dont like it if you get too many back to back visas in one year.

Good luck..

Edited by devaram

Go to Penang because its a great place to visit and go to the Banana guest house on Julia street and they will tell you if you can get another visa.

If they cannot get you another visa then you can go to KL and you will get one there.

Next time consider doing a few border runs between visas as they dont like it if you get too many back to back visas in one year.

Good luck..

Thanks Devaram, thanks for your advice...

Already contacted Banana, they say my chances are very very slim.

So maybe I will try (want to visit Penang!) but otherwise I will go to KL or Kota Bahru (which one is better for single entry?)

Thanks !

Good luck..

Thanks Devaram, thanks for your advice...

Already contacted Banana, they say my chances are very very slim.

So maybe I will try (want to visit Penang!) but otherwise I will go to KL or Kota Bahru (which one is better for single entry?)

Thanks !

Sorry dont know anything about kotu baru but if you get the slim chance in penang let us know!

Edited by devaram

khman, not sure about Kota Bharu, but KL should issue you a single entry.

Depending on your budget, maybe you should considered Phnom Penh.

Bangkok Airways have direct flights between Samui and Phnom Penh.

And Phnom Penh will issue you a double entry tourist visa, especially if you use an agent.

See this tread.

khman, not sure about Kota Bharu, but KL should issue you a single entry.

Depending on your budget, maybe you should considered Phnom Penh.

Bangkok Airways have direct flights between Samui and Phnom Penh.

And Phnom Penh will issue you a double entry tourist visa, especially if you use an agent.

See this tread.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have money, but I checked on Bangkok Airways, it is 16500 THB minimum per person for round trip.

I hate boat, bus, even VIP, but between 16500 THB in plane and 2500 in bus for round trip, I think I will choose bus...

So, you think the best in my case would be bus to KL?

Thanks again..

I have money, but I checked on Bangkok Airways, it is 16500 THB minimum per person for round trip.

I hate boat, bus, even VIP, but between 16500 THB in plane and 2500 in bus for round trip, I think I will choose bus...

Thanks again..

khman, if you hate the bus have you checked out Firefly? They fly several times a week (or maybe even daily now) from Samui to KL. Fares are quite reasonable.

Edited by Bluebell

Thanks again..

khman, if you hate the bus have you checked out Firefly? They fly several times a week (or maybe even daily now) from Samui to KL. Fares are quite reasonable.

Thanks for helping.

Found for about 14000THB round trip for two with firefly.

Used to be something like 10000 (back trip was 0 THB) but it disapeared :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am so confused! Please can someone confirm:

Can I get MULTIPLE ENTRY non-immigrant VISA in Penang?

Does it only take a day or longer?

What does it cost?

I am employed by a Thai school and they said they will give me all the paperwork I need. Should I be applying for an ED VISA though, as under B it says employment prohibited?!

Please help me demystify this!

Thanks in advance

LC

What does it cost?

I am employed by a Thai school and they said they will give me all the paperwork I need. Should I be applying for an ED VISA though, as under B it says employment prohibited?!

Thanks in advance

LC

You will only get a single non-B, a non-ED is for study and does not allow working. The employement prohibithed stamp is to remind you that you are not allowed to work without a work permit. (You will not get a work permit on a non-Ed visa.

Once you have the work permit you can extend your stay for 1 year every year.

It is always a good idea to apply for the work permit before you apply for the visa. The labour office will not issue the work eprmit itself, but a wp3 form showing you have applied for the work permit and will get it once you have the non-B visa.

What does it cost?

Thanks in advance

LC

You will only get a single non-B, a non-ED is for study and does not allow working. The employement prohibithed stamp is to remind you that you are not allowed to work without a work permit. (You will not get a work permit on a non-Ed visa.

Once you have the work permit you can extend your stay for 1 year every year.

It is always a good idea to apply for the work permit before you apply for the visa. The labour office will not issue the work eprmit itself, but a wp3 form showing you have applied for the work permit and will get it once you have the non-B visa.

Here is a link to the MFA list of requirements: http://www.mfa.go.th...siness-and.html

Section 2.4 of the link above applies to you.

If you are unsure about anything then phone the Thai Consulate in Penang - they do answer the phone and will give advice on their specific policy here is a link http://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy14009/

Apply on a working day in the am and pick up on the next working day in the pm (Monday - Friday excluding Thai/Malaysian Holidays).

Regarding Work Permit Applications, Penang will ask for a Letter of Acceptance from Labour and not the WP3 Receipt which is given when your WP3 Application is successfuly filed.

You will only get a single entry 90 day non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa in S.E. Asia; you will be expected to extend at your local Thai Immigration Dept within Thailand.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Regarding Work Permit Applications, Penang will ask for a Letter of Acceptance from Labour and not the WP3 Receipt which is given when your WP3 Application is successfuly filed.

Yes, i forgot about that particulair requiremetn for Penang. thumbsup.gif