Sports Bikes Vs. Cruisers

PaulD

My prejudices and preferences were formed in childhood and youth. Many of these notions, not having been unseated by experience, are valid yet. An example is related to motorcycles.

I prefer “cruisers.” I observe that many on this forum don't use the term and don't much appreciate the concept; they might call bikes that are not chopped at all - choppers. Sports bike riders, raised to the challenges of those bikes, especially racing, want bikes that are better at excitement, speed and maneuvering. More power to them, I say.

For myself, though, a cruiser in Thailand makes more sense, not as much for the experience of radical leaning on the hills and curves but for taking in their beauty. As the center of gravity is lower, they hug the ground and prefer being upright. They are designed for comfort and as transportation. To the degree that they are more safe (we all know that the driver is more important than the machine), cruisers put a lot of rubber into contact with the road. They are designed to be comparatively boring (speaking of the machine, not necessarily the driver). Those available here in Thailand are few and usually 250cc and downward, and none can go so fast as sports-bikes, with kindred engines on the twisties, unless steered by an exceptional rider. Well and good, say I. From cruisers, one tends to enjoy the country more than the bike's performance. Our numbers are small. It is an open question if the riders of Phantoms and Bosses are more sophisticated, as people, than sports-bike riders, particularly when you factor in most Harleys here. But it is all but certain that sports riders are better at racing.

The reason sports bikes have a high center of gravity is so that they will be less stable, but more maneuverable. Their principal purpose (above all) is to allow an owner to show off by doing wheelies; thus we find the absurdly high rear fender on the things, inviting mud and splatter under saddlebags or onto pillion victims.

Yet there are, in fairness, sound reasons to select a sports bike. If you wish to drag a knee (maybe someone can make one lean well enough to do the shoulder touch, as referenced by Judas months and months ago), better to have a sports-bike. Not only will a sports bike win races by being relatively short coupled and high balanced, by countering gravity with centrifugal force and gummy feet, it must be high-revving. Screaming bikes better meet the needs of their sporty advocates – no telling why. That they must have mufflers at all is a sad disappointment – or would be, were it not for the possibility of paying a lot of cash on the aftermarket to gain a look and sound earning status. Mufflers stifle noise, which can subtract from performance and attention.

In spite of differences, both bikes are alike in that they offer vast opportunities for further investment. Bikes can challenge sailboats for being black holes for money. Nobody considers a sports bike without dreaming of augmenting its performance – principally by raising its sound level (here, sports bikers reveal their blood relationship). If they sold here a 2200cc Kawasaki easily capable of 250 miles per hour, someone on first hearing about it would decide to improve upon the stock model. Tires cannot be too expensive, princely sums are involved after considering wear. Fuel delivery is never sufficiently optimized for speed for the sporty types, because national laws, almost universal, are trying to save the planet. Thus for sports bikers, a stock bike is an abomination. Society's globally accepted rules that mandate a bike's emission features, the sports bike lover finds perfectly annoying, for such regulations interfere with acceleration and speed, a major reason for life on earth.

On the other hand, cruiser types often feel an obligation to “pimp” their bikes, a perfectly evocative expression when you dwell upon it. The bent of the biker is often revealed by elaborate paintings of skulls, a weight of gadgets, or decoration augmented by more still more chrome or leather geegaws. He too lusts for greater noise.

Stock bikes may be discovered in greater numbers among cruiser drivers, however. That is, the sports rider tends to be mechanical, the cruiser type reflective and artistic (that is, in the United States at least, many tattoo competitions are won by conventional bike Harley riders, not a few of us art-loving, if not tatoo loving, criminals). Most advocates of both types drink beer enough to get mindless a lot, and one brand of cruiser can be counted upon (we know who) to be more noisy than a drunken football stadium.

Well, these are merely generalizations and are well enough – many will advance alternative generalizations, but those will represent quibbles or exceptions statistically - minorities and specialties. In time it is best to return to specifics.

Fundamentally, sports bikes are best considered for sport, cruisers for cruising. (Duh.) Spare me your compromise uses. Sports bikes are for fun, cruisers for comfortable transportation. All the advice on this forum is of no worth until the rider defines his main purpose of riding. For some of us, it simply boils down to a question relating to driving position – does one enjoy resuming a natal position while crouching upon one's testicles? Or is it more comfy to loiter along in a comfy chair?

I am 67 this month and I have had my Phantom almost 2 years and was the 4th owner.

The previous 3 pimped the bike by changing the seat to one with leather fringes (which I replaced after 6 months with a stock one from Honda), leather straps on the handle bars which magically fell off when they got close to a box cutter, foot plates front and rear, still there, side panniers and I added a top box.

In the 3 years before I bought it the bike covered about 5,500 km and was clean, shiny and well polished.

In the nearly 2 years I have had it I clocked 31,500 km, washed it quite often, serviced it every 2,000 km and the only problems were a spark plug which died, the main fuse blew and the battery died after 5 years.

Last Friday I drove it 730 km to BKK and back in the same day and it just kept on rolling through the sun, wind and thunderstorm and never missed a beat.

I am hoping to replace it very soon with a Yamaha Virago 535 cruiser as it should give me an extra 20 or so kph for comfortable cruising.

I did look at the new CBR 250 and also the Lifan LF 250 but the Yamaha just appeals to me more than the Lifan and much more than a sports bike.

I don't have the need for speed nor do I need a crotch rocket just something that gets me where I want, when I want and in some degree of comfort, so PauD I am with you 100%.

Try driving a cruiser in Bangkok traffic or driving between the lanes and avoiding rear view mirrors, then try and get use to the 'forward' footpeg position as your feet dangle from the ground until you've found enough balance to rest them back up on the pegs.

Cruisers are good for the country though, and the Honda Phantom is one comfortable bike !

I am definitely a fan of both cruisers and sportbikes alike and have owned various on one occasion or another. My cruisers were worth their weight in gold for comfortable, relaxed riding and convenience. On the other side of the coin, my rocket ships were a fun outlet for an adrenalin rush. I just hope the cruiser boys understand when I go thundering by their thundering cruisers. :D :jap:

Some of my past and present rides...enjoy B)

post-6366-0-45491400-1304922553_thumb.jp

post-6366-0-55310900-1304922569_thumb.jp

post-6366-0-00859000-1304922572_thumb.jp

I thought I was more of a cruiser type but fell in love with my Ninja 650r. It is nice to have the power when you need it but I have settled into riding it more like a cruiser. No mods, I like a quiet bike and even wear earplugs.

Many people fall into the rigidly defined stereotypes you ramble on about but there are plenty of riders who don’t fit any particular mold. I say enjoy your ride and ride it the way you wish. If you can’t find likeminded riders then just enjoy the solitude of the open road. :)

Ninja06.jpg

Edited by villagefarang

I say enjoy your ride and ride it the way you wish. If you can't find like minded riders then just enjoy the solitude of the open road. :)

Thats what I do, because some TV members get on my nerves ! :lol: j/k

I know im not a bucket of sunshine myself.

black-yamaha-fjr-13005.jpg

Perfect cruiser. Yamaha FJR 1300. For sale at Riders Club Bangkok. Agree for lane splitting this would be less than ideal.

I was kind of amused when the FJR's came out. I honestly believe that Yamaha purposely reduced their power and took away one gear, so that they would not be too competitive with their range of sports bikes.

Beautiful bike..though the electric windscreen had issues B)

I thought I was more of a cruiser type but fell in love with my Ninja 650r. It is nice to have the power when you need it but I have settled into riding it more like a cruiser. No mods, I like a quiet bike and even wear earplugs.

Many people fall into the rigidly defined stereotypes you ramble on about but there are plenty of riders who don't fit any particular mold. I say enjoy your ride and ride it the way you wish. If you can't find likeminded riders then just enjoy the solitude of the open road. :)

Ninja06.jpg

Nice photo VF, did your wife take it? :D

Edited by Garry

Many people fall into the rigidly defined stereotypes you ramble on about but there are plenty of riders who don't fit any particular mold. I say enjoy your ride and ride it the way you wish. If you can't find likeminded riders then just enjoy the solitude of the open road. :)

Ninja06.jpg

Nice photo VF, did your wife take it? :D

Yes, as she has become more active on Facebook she has started taking more pictures, both with the Canon and her new iPhone.

There's no reason one can't "cruise" on a sports bike. And I've seen some "cruisers" with competent pilots rip along pretty good at the track.

You can ride recklessly on ANY bike but I would argue that sport bikes are inherently safer thanks to their much better brakes, handling and acceleration.

Oh, and who says you can't wheelie a "cruiser"? :lol:

HDWheelie.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

black-yamaha-fjr-13005.jpg

Perfect cruiser. Yamaha FJR 1300. For sale at Riders Club Bangkok. Agree for lane splitting this would be less than ideal.

Sorry, but that is most definitely not a cruiser. It's a sport tourer.

Google "Cruiser motorcycle":

5-9-20112-57-11PM.jpg

Google "Sport Tourer motorcycle":

5-9-20113-08-09PM.jpg

I can enjoy the aesthetics of a cruiser or chopper but don't have any interest in ever riding one. Maybe this will change as I get older, who knows.

It's a tradition in America to wave to every other two wheel road user, and that includes cyclists. Sometimes the cruiser/chopper guys don't, which is fine with me. In a way we are all part of a brotherhood in that we acknowledge the hazards and risk in our chosen mode of transport. But it goes beyond that. Any motorcyclt that has spent much time in the saddle should be able to say that they have had a visceral, surreal moment on a bike, regardless what is between our legs, so to speak.

I probably got my affinity for sport bikes because my sports background. Skiing, wakeboarding, whitewater kayaking..so a natural progression I suppose. I'm not impressed by the attempt at "bad-assedness" and criminality conveyed by a lot of "affiliated" cruiser/chopper guys, but of course I don't paint them all with that brush. (SBF, the Street Bike Freaks in California are a self professed sport bike gang which has to pay the Hells Angels for the right to exist, just like every other big MC in the world) And of course I have met and ridden with plenty of cruiser guys that feel the same way about some of their brethren, which is why they are riding with us sport/sport touring guys in the first place, so I have been told.

villagefarang, IMO the Ninja650R is the perfect bike for Thailand. And I don't think it is a compromise (meeting the OP's demands here) unless you are a hardcore supersport veteran. And at 257,000baht still the best deal going.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Ninja06.jpg

NO mods you say, crash bobbins and a very good looking re-worked seat...looks nice btw

Funny that the OP makes such a big deal about 'sports bikes' having their exhaust changed when I challenge you to find more than a handful of cruisers (especially the quintessential cruiser-Harley) with stock exhausts...

NO mods you say, crash bobbins and a very good looking re-worked seat...looks nice btw

Okay, a couple of safety and comfort mods. ;)

Funny that the OP makes such a big deal about 'sports bikes' having their exhaust changed when I challenge you to find more than a handful of cruisers (especially the quintessential cruiser-Harley) with stock exhausts...

I was one of your handfull. My Yamaha Dragstar XVS1100A was completely bone stock engine and exhaust wise. Lots of extra chrome bling, running lights, rear carrier, engine bling and rechromed spokes on the wheels. It didn't need noise in this case, as there was enough of a throb from the engine & exhaust. The front brakes were massive. Very stable under hard braking. You get used to hard braking in the middle east, believe me.

Picture002-1.jpg

I was one of your handfull. My Yamaha Dragstar XVS1100A was completely bone stock engine and exhaust wise. Lots of extra chrome bling, running lights, rear carrier, engine bling and rechromed spokes on the wheels. It didn't need noise in this case, as there was enough of a throb from the engine & exhaust. The front brakes were massive. Very stable under hard braking. You get used to hard braking in the middle east, believe me.

Picture002-1.jpg

That's a lovely bike. Very rare I look at a cruiser for more than 2 seconds but I found myself staring at this one. If I lived out in the country I'd buy something like that for sure. Trouble is in Bangkok is that it's too big and heavy for Bangkok traffic. And then when I want to get away to the beach for the weekend it's not gonna be as fast (or as fun) to get there as a sports bike.

I can definitely see me owning one in the next few years though. I'll go for a Jap model like your Yam (or maybe a Kawi Vulcan) or go British and get a Triumph. Can't ever see myself on a Harley though.

Edited by JonnyF

That's a lovely bike. Very rare I look at a cruiser for more than 2 seconds but I found myself staring at this one. If I lived out in the country I'd buy something like that for sure. Trouble is in Bangkok is that it's too big and heavy for Bangkok traffic. And then when I want to get away to the beach for the weekend it's not gonna be as fast (or as fun) to get there as a sports bike.

I can definitely see me owning one in the next few years though. I'll go for a Jap model like your Yam (or maybe a Kawi Vulcan) or go British and get a Triumph. Can't ever see myself on a Harley though.

Thanks JonnyF, it was also a shaft drive, so virtually maintenance free overall. It ran faultlessly (on carbs), no injection for this model. The only real pain on this model is that to get to the oil filter, you hand to take of the RH running board, controls and if I remember correctly the front cylinder exhaust. I just paid the dealer to do it. :)

Edited by Garry

The bike is to fast for a photo? ... ?

I like to look at cruisers, but i feel that the sports bikes are more practical for running around town...

I do like the vulcan, but cant see myself on it...

I do honestly think that kawa with their er6 series and versys have hit the nail on what is perfect in thailand- and that is why my next bike will be the versys... In september:-)

Must agree completely about advantages of sports bikes in town. For 7-11 runs and city traffic, I use a runaround scooter, as cruisers are not as useful as cars in traffic.

I have an old car for the rainy season (here already?), but the suggestion that I might want to use a car in place of a bike omits entirely the exceptional experience of biking in the out-of-doors, especially on a cruiser, where some attention can be spared for Thailand. Have to admit that this implies going slower.

Remark about mufflers is well made. Sports bike muffler replacements are to harm the environment for greater performance, while many cruisers do similar damage in the name of noise (I go for stock).

While it is true that I mentioned doing wheelies as a primary goal of sports riders (in connection with rear fender shapes), I also associated cruiser riders with being artistic (tattooed criminals). Doubtless both sorts of owners are in the minority of bike riders. Difference is that more cruiser riders (as a percentage) would admit to not being a criminal or even tattooed than sports riders would admit being unable or unwilling to do wheelies on their bikes.

PS That video posted by Tony, slow riding like that, was somewhere between magical and mystical.

dam_n...I think he scraped an ear on one of those corners!

Awesome technique!! Learned something new too, if you look closely the guy lays the bike all the way over first, then steers _into_ the curve. I know about counter steering (to get the bike to lay down) but then steering into the curve as hard as that - that's new to me. Wouldn't have thought that would work...

Cruisers better for cruising? I doubt that.

I was out with a bunch of harley riders recently, two sportsters (the only real bike-bikes that harley makes) and a few huge monsters (road king, etc). I cruised along with them on my Versys, and what you said about cruising a cruiser was true for the Versys too: Very comfortable riding position, wind protection (rare on cruisers, actually, none of the guys I was with had it). Moving at harley speed, I saw all of the nature around me, probably more than the harley riders actually thanks to being higher up. Suspension is way better than the harleys too so rough patches and so on were easier for me. Brakes are way better, so I was safer. Seat's more comfortable. Most importantly, I quite enjoyed cruising along at the low speeds too - around 100 kph.

But once the twisties came, I had the choice - move slowly with the hogs, and enjoy the views, or blast it, and usually I chose the latter and was up up and away, waiting for the hogs after the mountains ;)

So you could say that whatever perspective you choose, the Versys is a way better bike than any harley.

Yet - there is something to the hogs. The sound, and the mass, the "feeling" - it's hard to put in words, but I can see the appeal. I might even get one one day. Riding a bike like that is a bit of a statement - you don't care about being the fastest, or getting the most hp for your buck, or having the safest ride. It's a bit of an opt out; it always reminds me of reading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"; if it breaks, you can probably fix it with a large hammer - or at least it looks like that; it has soul.

I guess I love all bikes, including cruisers :D

I also dislike idiot show-off harley riders as much as I dislike idiot show-off sportsbike riders. But that's not the bikes' fault.