The Coca Cola Incident

Ice Maiden

Okay so I walk in a restraunt and I'm greeted by a waiter who asks me if I'd like a drink.

So I answer with "Yes. A diet coke please."

I assume the waiter in question understands the word coke because after all he is working in Pattaya which is one big tourism spot. Also I'm in a popular shopping mall with english speaking tourists and I'm sat in an American restraunt. He has also made a good job of his English so far and coke is probably the most popular drink around.

I was quite shocked to see him squint and reply with "Ha?". After fifteen mins he decided to get another member of staff she also didn't understand. At this point another member of staff walks past and says "Oooooooooh you mean cooooke" saying coke in that Thai accent of theirs.

Then they all seem to understand and start nodding their heads and smiling. It seemed I didn't say it in that Thai accent so they didn't know what the heck I was on about.

Strangely this Isn't the first time I've had the "Coke incident" whilst in Thailand. Is this just me or have any of you also had this problem?

I thought it was just with coke except today when I went to Maccy D's I asked for a Taro Pie. Confusion set in and even my step-mum didn't know. The funny thing is my Step-mum ordered exactly the same thing for herself just last night.

She then asked for the till guy to say in English what pies he had avaliable. The first one he said was "Tarrrrroooo pie" I said yeah thats the one I would like and have just been on about. "Ooooooh you mean Tarrrrroooo pie" he replyed in that bleedin' Thai accent. Then my Step-mum and the till guy began smiling.

All because I didn't say it in the Thai accent :D:o

Is this really just me this happens to? Ahh I love this crazy country sometimes :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Honestly, the only way I can get a coke is to ask firmly for some 'cock', usually while frowning. "

:D I don't think I'll try that ..... :D

Hello Will :o

Edited by kat

I remember a friend ordering a coke, the girl looking at him confused so I ordered the coke (I speak Thai well enough to order a coke!) and she looked at me confused. So, my husband, saying the exact same thing the exact same way, orders a coke. Ah, the lightbulb goes off. a coke!

Ya gotta laugh. Best part of Icemaiden's story has to be, of course, the fact that she is in an "American restaurant" in a major tourist destination and the waiter can't figure out diet coke.

"... so I ordered the coke (I speak Thai well enough to order a coke!) and she looked at me confused. So, my husband, saying the exact same thing the exact same way, orders a coke. Ah, the lightbulb goes off."

Actually, you just stated something very significant for me here. There have been many times when I've stated what I wanted in decent Thai, and they just don't get it - even simple things. I suspected that many times it's just because they see a foreigner and disconnect from what you're saying. I'm sorry to say that I think this tendency hindered my motivaton to learn Thai early on. I'm not using this as an excuse - because I have to jumpstart it again - but it definitely affected my desire early on.

Are there any other experiences of this with people who speak decent Thai?

well, kat, I remember reading a thread on this sometime back and the general consensus was that yes, if some people don't expect you to be speaking thai then they just won't understand you. I speak fairly fluent colloquial southern thai and almost never have difficulty making myself understood (that is, in the South) and this girl could not understand something as basic as coke because she just turned her brain off and assumed that she couldn't understand the farang.

I don speak decent Thai, but well enough to be understood generally.

I've had the exact same thing a few times, where a Thai friend has repeated, exactly the same for my ears, what i've just said to someone and they instantly understand.

Its a tonal thing

Sometimes it helps to make a 'thai sound' just before you start talking. What I mean is, something like 'aaaaah' or '....corrrr' (as in 'leo kor', the phrase for 'and then..') which seems to flick a switch in the listener and lets them know you are about to speak (or attempt to speak) Thai.

From their perspective I suppose they are thinking hard about listening for english words, and then just not expecting Thai to be spoken.

Another alternative I have used before, in really desperate situations when you need to just start all over again, is to say 'I am now speaking Thai' in thai. You also have to do this in Japan quite alot, so I am told.

The other day in the pub my wife rang from Toyota asking if I could get one of the staff to bring some money out as she had forgotten hers. I turned to the bar staff, who speak a bit of Eglish and explained the situation. Toyota I said a dozen times driving a mock car in front of them. No response, just a shake of the head. I got one of them, walked outside to where a toyota was parked and repeated |Toyota.

They all shook their heads. Every Farang in the restaurant was in hysterics. TOYOTA,TOYOTA I bellowed at them. Nothing. My wife returns. " Where's the money?" I told her what happened so she asked the staff what the problem was. Suddenly one of them burst out " Oh Toyo-taaa" and waddled off to get on a motor bike clutching a fistfull of money with my wife in hot pursuit. Another fun-filled day at the FC. :o

The other day in the pub my wife rang from Toyota asking if I could get one of the staff to bring some money out as she had forgotten hers. I turned to the bar staff, who speak a bit of Eglish and explained the situation. Toyota I said a dozen times driving a mock car in front of them. No response, just a shake of the head. I got one of them, walked outside to where a toyota was parked and repeated |Toyota.

They all shook their heads. Every Farang in the restaurant was in hysterics. TOYOTA,TOYOTA I bellowed at them. Nothing. My wife returns. " Where's the money?" I told her what happened so she asked the staff what the problem was. Suddenly one of them burst out " Oh Toyo-taaa" and waddled off to get on a motor bike clutching a fistfull of money with my wife in hot pursuit. Another fun-filled day at the FC. :o

Hysterical. I just had a similar incident and was starting to feel paranoid again. How does one say ATM so that it's understood?

I can speak very basic Thai to my Step-mums family and friends and order myself a drink. I'm learning my Thai at school and practising with the family but I wouldn't say my main motivation was because of the little confusion I have now and then with Thais :D

Tytus you're on a role!

And Taxexile I wouldn't even dare ask... :o

Lampy that must of been fun! At least you'll know for next time ! :D

QUOTE(kat @ 2005-10-05 20:49:37)

I don speak decent Thai, but well enough to be understood generally.

I've had the exact same thing a few times, where a Thai friend has repeated, exactly the same for my ears, what i've just said to someone and they instantly understand.

Its a tonal thing

Yeah, it sure is a tonal thing. Also, it is because they are listening for English words.

About 10 years ago or so, I spoke pretty good Thai, or so I thought. Truth is, in hindsight, I didn't. The tones were all wrong. I think I speak good Thai now, but in a few years time I will know I wasn't that good. We can always improve.

I recently went to a restauarant with a friend who has been working in a Thai environment for over 25 years and speaks fluent Thai, sounding like a Thai. He asked if they had a table for 2 about 3 times to no response from the young waitress.

I was in a 7-11 last night asking for a pack of Malboro Light. I said my usual, "malboro laii song on"(packet soft) and she gave me two packs. You have to be spot on sometimes. The difference between packet(song) and 2(song) is very subtle.

What I usually do here in Isaan when they don't catch on is to ask them in Lao, if they can speak Thai, to which they always understand what they didn't before.

Spy and sprite(sapie and sapaid) are easily mis-pronounced.

It happens all the time with my wife when in a restaurant, even when I order from the Thai menu, but although i hate to admit it, it is my pronounciation that is not quite perfect.

Although words like 'computer'(compoo deeer) and 'ice cream(ai dtim) come from English, they are not the same in Thai and why should Thais undersatand if they don't speak English?

:o

Try ordering soda water with some lemon juice...mission impossible, even if Tais - who know exactly what I want - order it for me. Comes back with the funniest results but only one out of ten times with the right one.