Rubber Trees

Not if you can get some regular sunshine...

Our trees are 13 years old.

This is our 6th year tapping.

I'm pretty hands on on our plantations. That's 13 years of overseeing planting and fertilizing and upkeep. 13 years of driving tractors.

I keep pretty good informative books.

THIS is our WORST June, production wise in 6 years. That included years ago when we were tapping far fewer and less mature trees.

Yes. Very sad this year. My B in law is even more sad as he is only getting his Or Bor Tor salary. But looking over the 5 years of tapping results, our area wasn't the ideal area to plant rubber. Still selling our whole lot of 130 + rai of rubber, the (large) farmhouse w/pool + huge workshop area, and 3 shophouses here in Chiang Mai. Sigh.....

• Like 1

Not if you can get some regular sunshine...

Our trees are 13 years old.

This is our 6th year tapping.

I'm pretty hands on on our plantations. That's 13 years of overseeing planting and fertilizing and upkeep. 13 years of driving tractors.

I keep pretty good informative books.

THIS is our WORST June, production wise in 6 years. That included years ago when we were tapping far fewer and less mature trees.

Yes. Very sad this year. My B in law is even more sad as he is only getting his Or Bor Tor salary. But looking over the 5 years of tapping results, our area wasn't the ideal area to plant rubber. Still selling our whole lot of 130 + rai of rubber, the (large) farmhouse w/pool + huge workshop area, and 3 shophouses here in Chiang Mai. Sigh.....

Scot it was the goverment who encouraged people to plant yang in these places which are clearly not suited to grow yang. Many other crops can make more money than yang in some areas. Its the same with palm oil. The take photos of massive palm oil trees in the south then start selling the idea to issaan farmers. Not telling them that low lieing areas with good water holding ability in the soil followed by a 6 month dry period is not suited to palm oil. The government people only care they get a cashcow from any sales they promote. Its the same with yang. Take photos of massive yang from the south with a girth of 3 metres. Then sell the idea in isaan. No rain going in ,no yang coming out its that simple. We notice if we dont get rain for 2 weeks,production starts dropping off. How about 3 or 4 months like in some areas of thailand? My advice is go to kings project. I would trust these people.

Cheers Cobbler

Hi Cobbler,

Yes, indeed..... The saying Kee Nah comes to mind. We had the same problem with our golden teak plantations..... Planted, cared for them, waited 26 years until the girth was a decent size, and was told by the provincial bah mai that we have to jump hoops for 12 agencies to export it.... Kah-ching to the max. Forget it.... Sold the timber locally. My sister-in-law is the president of the rubber assoc in our district so we indeed know that we were duped by the government again... Although, it was after the high price days and the 3 country rubber consortium went by the wayside.. Selling the land is much more profitable than farming. We've done quite a bit in our day including running all the farm & construction equipment. An "okay" income. But now it's time to hang up the straw hat, collect rentals, and play with the grand child.

Good luck to all in your endeavors.

Best regards,

Scott

• Like 1

Pretty depressing to see guys who seem to know what they are doing throw in the towel.

I never got into farming to get rich or anything, it was more of a way to keep the fam damily busy. I would like to get my money back out of it though. Not sure with current prices how long that will take.

The only saving grace for me is that we got the land pretty cheaply, so far I figure I am only 1m baht down to date (5 years in). Land is worth more than that even without the trees though god knows if I could ever sell it even if I wanted to.

We have some cassava as well and prices for it seem pretty low these days too.

• Like 1

^ Your costs seem pretty similar to ours. We have 26 rai in Rubber trees and another 10 rai of cassava. The cassava is definitely better financially with the current low prices of rubber but if prices rebound to the 30-35 b/kg range over the next few years the rubber might turn out to be the better performer. We have cut a few corners to try keep costs down but have been taking care of the trees pretty well. Had fire on our best bit of land about 14 months ago that killed about 50 trees and damaged over 100 more, hopefully the surviving trees won't have production issues when they mature. We likely could start about 1/2 our best bit of land (13 rai) after only 6 years as the trees are doing very well but we likely will hold off until year 7 anyhow as with these prices it will be hard to find cutters to do so few trees with low production.

Thanks for the details on your farm, nice to see that even at these prices there is some money to be made down the road. Maybe we will get lucky and prices will recover in the near future. After all as a percentage of total annual production the oversupply is actually quite small. Hopefully the low prices will also have southern production areas shift to other crops as trees come off production due to age. We may see 50 b/kg again someday......I would be happy to see 30 b/kg for now though.

• Like 1

A question for all you rubber guys. I know nothing about rubber but walk/run in the plantations regularly. Last week I saw, for the first time, syringes attached to some large older trees as well as about 40 cm of tubing. Was just wondering what these are for?

# Sold at auction yesterday, 25.33 baht per kg. First decent output of this season, too, due to better, cooler, drier weather.

# Chickens. And chicken crap. Just let them wander and crap where they want. No harm whatsoever to the trees, and good for the soil.

• Like 1

A question for all you rubber guys. I know nothing about rubber but walk/run in the plantations regularly. Last week I saw, for the first time, syringes attached to some large older trees as well as about 40 cm of tubing. Was just wondering what these are for?

They use that syringe to inject gas into the tree to make it flow more. What it can end up doing is it dries up the tree and it can end up dead. Edited by fezzy

In my area there is someone buying immature rubber trees for 1 baht/kg. Not sure what they are using the wood for as it would be too small for anything other than burning or making charcoal, I figure.

My wife tells me lots of local farmers are throwing in the towel cutting down their 1-5 year old trees and using the money to switch to tapioca. I hope this starts to become a national trend. Gotta think though that the poor buggers likely bought those trees at 30 baht each (or more) and will barely get that 30 baht back at 1 baht/kg.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all 

haven't been on for a while but thought I would just say that where I am ,Isaan ,it's been so dry last season that at least half of the big trees around here have died.

i lost a few ,maybe 30 or so myself,bewteen 6and 4 year olds.

just road my bike through to the village and many have cut there trees down,weird to ride through the light now.also across the road from us they have cut down all there trees.

So all this just gets me thinking when the price does hopefully return,there will be a lot less trees ,and less product means higher prices,lets hope.

i gotta hang in there ,I haven't even tapped a tree yet.

good luck to all .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter s somtam said:

These looked dead ,but now with all the rain they are growing out down low like this ,what do u think ,keep em ?,chop the top off? Cut em down altogether?

will add some more shots of across the road ,they have cut all there's down,and they looked like the ones in my shots a few years back.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fire damage.... had a large fire rip through 20 plus rai awhile ago. most of the trees ending up looking like ones in your photo. inside they will be dry as a bone - hence not produce rubber. cut one in half and see what it looks like.... family cut them down and used for fire wood. this land is now planted with sugar cane.

• Like 1

Yer I cut one in half and it had a bit of juice in there still ,but the top was bone dry ,so I have just chopped em all at ground level and using the now sunny area to grow fruit trees etc.

i also lost a few last year to a sugar cane fire on the fence line ,they sure don't like fire any where near them.

cheers.