Pheu Thai Politician Shot: Police

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also ruled out the linkage to a powerful family. Local politician Chonsawat Asavahame paid him a hospital visit, he said.

K. Chonsawat probably told him 'I hope you understand it's nothing personal, dear friend' ;)

Edited by rubl

He said Mr Thaksin had telephoned to ask about his condition and instructed him to move from Bang Pakok 1 Hospital to Rama 9 Hospital.

Why was he instructed to move hospital?

Thaksin has an account at that one.

maybe apply a smidgen of that analytics to a more balanced approach to Thai politics? from what I've read your pro-yellow and pro-establishment to the hilt

No that is anti-Thaksin to the hilt.

I find siding with him ANYTHING but a balanced approach.

not our business as farangs here - let the Thais decide

maybe apply a smidgen of that analytics to a more balanced approach to Thai politics? from what I've read your pro-yellow and pro-establishment to the hilt

Dear CNXsomewhere, may I remind you of this post you wrote about 10 minutes ago

"As the BBC independent correspondent said on News24 'the Democrats have been in power for three years without being elected once' and this is the problem - again we will see the majority choice (receiving the majority votes) being pushed aside by minor parties to form a coalition."

As farang not (y)our business ?

Please make up your mind and try to be consistent :ermm:

(I put some begin-quotes back to match end-quotes hanging around)

Edited by rubl

It may not be your business ... but if you are actually living in Thailand and/or invested in Thailand it is certainly not only important to your life here, it is also your business ...

(if it has any chance of affecting my family it is obviously my business!)

Pracha was out campaigning for a local politician --- then drops his bodyguard and his driver off .. and drives home alone? Not the wisest of politicians out there is he?

He also ruled out the linkage to a powerful family. Local politician Chonsawat Asavahame paid him a hospital visit, he said.

K. Chonsawat probably told him 'I hope you understand it's nothing personal, dear friend' ;)

Chonsawat has an interesting history...

Mayor Charged After 'Drunken Fight With Police'

and it's contained headlines:

Samut Prakan mayor hit with six more charges, avoids police

Fugitive's son gets 1-year jail term

He's even been paired up in comparison with the likes of Mr. Happy Toilet's exploits....

210208_news01.gif

and that's not even mentioning his convicted and currently fugitive father....

Teary ex-MP Pracha denies setting up his own shooting: knows who planned his attempted murder but forgives /MCOT

Can we assume that it wasn't one of the opposition parties then?

Or will the PTP/Red shirts continue to use it, without actually identifying who it was.

The only thing we know for sure is that it won't be the police who identify the perpetrator(s).

Chonsawat has an interesting history...

Mayor Charged After 'Drunken Fight With Police'

http://www.thaivisa....ht-with-police/

and it's contained headlines:

Samut Prakan mayor hit with six more charges, avoids police

Fugitive's son gets 1-year jail term

He's even been paired up in comparison with the likes of Mr. Happy Toilet's exploits....

210208_news01.gif

and that's not even mentioning his convicted and currently fugitive father....

None of which is relevant to the OP, so :offtopic:

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-12

None of which is relevant to the OP, so

Providing brief background information on less-familiar persons that are specifically mentioned in a thread's updated news article is "off-topic" now?

:rolleyes: :jerk:

Not sure if politically motivated? :rolleyes:

My bet is on an inside job, the usual dirty tactics that are employed when you need public sympathy, something like a car bomb, or an attempted assasination, and claim the other side is out to hurt you. Not like we haven't seen that before on numerous occasions....:whistling:

So they asked for volunteers to be shot and this guy signed up. We will hire an expert he will only shoot you a little bit no worries mate.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-12

None of which is relevant to the OP, so

Providing brief background information on less-familiar persons that are specifically mentioned in a thread's updated news article is "off-topic" now?

Related topic:

Shot Pheu Thai MP Pracha keeps quiet on names of perpetrators, 'forgives' them

Follow this link:

which, coincidentally, contains the ubiquitously Thai veiled statement that refers to our supposedly "off-topic" less-familiar person as a suspect in the shooting...

Pracha had said the chief suspect was possibly the son of a veteran politician based in Samut Prakan.

Harsh! What's up with the hate? Obviously you know who I am...or think you do. I didn't realise that there were so many people who hated me! Please tell me what I have done to engender such strong feelings? You may not agree with me, but to hate me because I love my country(ies) is a tad extreme don't you think? I don't claim to be master of the English language but to call my grasp smattering is simply wrong.

Anyway, pride may be a sin in Christianity (I am not Christian), and when pride blinds you to faults it is wrong. As mentioned, I know Thailand's faults full well, I also see other shades of gray. Do you? I hope that my stupid smattering response doesn't make you hate me even more!

In my history and with our culture we were always taught to be proud Thai's. As a Professor with a PhD in Political Science for the past 26 years I can say at this moment that I cannot be Proud to be Thai.

I am very sad to hear that you are no longer proud to be Thai. While I have never been particularly naiive about my country's numerous faults, well, perhaps in my idealistic youth, I am still very proud to be Thai. In every nation there is crime, there is hate, there is controversy and violence, it would be sad to see people give up on their countries, as you sound as though you have, by a shooting (the cause of which we, as yet, have no deeper knowledge). As respectable as you sound with your PhD and 26 years' professorial experience, and while I have none of your credentials, I still believe in my country and I also believe that more of us should try to be positive and concilatory, rather than glum and playing the blame game as so many on both sides are want to do these days. We have difficault decisions to make in the months ahead. I know where my vote lies, but I would respect any outcome (as long as there is no subsequent whitewashing of crimes). Come on, be proud to be Thai. There is still a lot going here inspite of the doom and gloom written on this forum on a daily basis by some bleak outlookers.

You really ought to shake this "pride" crap. It makes you look stupid and biased and it makes those who would hate you seem more right. You're a journalist with a smattering of English are you not? Find another word.

Related topic:

Follow this link: http://www.thaivisa....-forgives-them/

which, coincidentally, contains the ubiquitously Thai veiled statement that refers to our supposedly "off-topic" less-familiar person as a suspect in the shooting...

Pracha had said the chief suspect was possibly the son of a veteran politician based in Samut Prakan.

Nice choice of emoticon Bucholz, very mature.

He also ruled out the linkage to a powerful family.

Related topic:

Follow this link: http://www.thaivisa....-forgives-them/

He also ruled out the linkage to a powerful family.

When quoting news, headlines are size 5 font, not the text of the article. ;)

So in one article, he says there's no link to a powerful family and in another, he alludes the "chief suspect" is the son of a veteran politician (AKA "powerful family"). :blink::wacko:

I didn't think this was a head injury or was it?

Chonsawat is the son of a veteran politician and who could easily be described as coming from a powerful family, but I'm just satisfied to see that he's not off-topic.

Suthep: investigation of the gun attack on Pheu Thai MP needs more time

BY NUPPOL SUVANSOMBUT

BANGKOK, 15 May 2011 (NNT)-Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs Suthep Thuagsuban said the case surrounding the gun attack on Mr. Pracha Prasobdee, a Pheu Thai MP, needed to be taken at its own pace, allowing time for police officers to collect evidence before coming to a conclusion.

The Deputy Prime Minister said that the witness of the gun attack refused to speak to the police for fears of reprisal if revealing who the perpetrator was. The police reportedly needed more time to collect further evidences; a process which Mr. Suthep said should be conducted at their own pace. However, the Deputy Prime Minister added that should Mr. Pracha know who the attacker is, he might as well provide information to the police.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-15 footer_n.gif

Dear CNXsomewhere, may I remind you of this post you wrote about 10 minutes ago

"As the BBC independent correspondent said on News24 'the Democrats have been in power for three years without being elected once' and this is the problem - again we will see the majority choice (receiving the majority votes) being pushed aside by minor parties to form a coalition."

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4418794

As farang not (y)our business ?

Please make up your mind and try to be consistent :ermm:

(I put some begin-quotes back to match end-quotes hanging around)

I was quoting the international news - reporting news! but it's true that it's not our business

It may not be your business ... but if you are actually living in Thailand and/or invested in Thailand it is certainly not only important to your life here, it is also your business ...

Pracha was out campaigning for a local politician --- then drops his bodyguard and his driver off .. and drives home alone? Not the wisest of politicians out there is he?

you are not Thai - although you like to pretend you are - we are visitors here whether you have an 'entertainment business' here or not

Sad to say, ''There non so blind as those that can see.''

I am amazed at the constant denial of the Red Shirt Brigade concerning their violent rhetoric along with their physical violence and general intimidation tactics, . warriors who attacked hospital patients !!!

Forgotten those brave warriors have you Maewrocks ?

Numerous eye witnesses stated that the government positioned snipers in Chulalongkorn Hospital. The reds became aware of this and entered the hospital in an attempt to stop assassinations of their leaders. Any claims of hospital patients being attacked is absolute government propaganda.

Oh, other than the pictures of same.

And a forum members wife being forced from her bed and causing her birth to come months early. Baby in incubator for months and mother ill in bed for months.

We have first hand knowledge on TVF about what happened in there, caused by red shirt internal rumors and a minor red leader running amok, but with at least Wengs knowledge it would happen and his doing noting to stop it.

Trying to repeatedly to defend the indefensible often tends to ruin positive response to other comments made. Wanna try defending the bodysnatching in the hospitals too?

Edited by animatic

you are not Thai - although you like to pretend you are - we are visitors here whether you have an 'entertainment business' here or not

When I was a school child --- we had a program called "RIF" or Reading is Fundamental. Nowhere did I claim to be Thai nor do I pretend to be. My business is not an 'entertainment business' nor are my clients any other nationality than Thai. If you cannot see how it is your business at all, then we can assume that you have no Thai friends or family that are at risk, nor do you have any other investment (emotional or financial) in Thailand. That's fine! I don't expect every farang to have attachments here .... ;)

Now to the fun part ----- if you believe that it is none of your business, why are you commenting on it at all?

Again, it may not be any of YOUR business, but what happens around me is certainly my business. Particularly when it affects my business and my family (who are Thai.)

edit -- typos

Edited by jdinasia

Sad to say, ''There non so blind as those that can see.''

I am amazed at the constant denial of the Red Shirt Brigade concerning their violent rhetoric along with their physical violence and general intimidation tactics, . warriors who attacked hospital patients !!!

Forgotten those brave warriors have you Maewrocks ?

Numerous eye witnesses stated that the government positioned snipers in Chulalongkorn Hospital. The reds became aware of this and entered the hospital in an attempt to stop assassinations of their leaders. Any claims of hospital patients being attacked is absolute government propaganda.

Oh, other than the pictures of same.

And a forum members wife being forced from her bed and causing her birth to come months early. Baby in incubator for months and mother ill in bed for months.

We have first hand knowledge on TVF about what happened in there, caused by red shirt internal rumors and a minor red leader running amok, but with at least Wengs knowledge it would happen and his doing noting to stop it.

Trying to repeatedly to defend the indefensible often tends to ruin positive response to other comments made. Wanna try defending the bodysnatching in the hospitals too?

on the flyover too - to take pot shots at innocent people sheltering and killing many - I guess you think this is ok too? 'good old Abhisit'?

In my history and with our culture we were always taught to be proud Thai's. As a Professor with a PhD in Political Science for the past 26 years I can say at this moment that I cannot be Proud to be Thai.

I am very sad to hear that you are no longer proud to be Thai. While I have never been particularly naiive about my country's numerous faults, well, perhaps in my idealistic youth, I am still very proud to be Thai. In every nation there is crime, there is hate, there is controversy and violence, it would be sad to see people give up on their countries, as you sound as though you have, by a shooting (the cause of which we, as yet, have no deeper knowledge). As respectable as you sound with your PhD and 26 years' professorial experience, and while I have none of your credentials, I still believe in my country and I also believe that more of us should try to be positive and concilatory, rather than glum and playing the blame game as so many on both sides are want to do these days. We have difficault decisions to make in the months ahead. I know where my vote lies, but I would respect any outcome (as long as there is no subsequent whitewashing of crimes). Come on, be proud to be Thai. There is still a lot going here inspite of the doom and gloom written on this forum on a daily basis by some bleak outlookers.

You really ought to shake this "pride" crap. It makes you look stupid and biased and it makes those who would hate you seem more right. You're a journalist with a smattering of English are you not? Find another word.

I have met both of you and she is far from stupid and her English is just as good as yours, but she has a much more posh accent. :lol:

Chonsawat is the son of a veteran politician and who could easily be described as coming from a powerful family, but I'm just satisfied to see that he's not off-topic.

And he's also currently a candidate in a local election in Samutprakan. And Pracha is involved in a rival candidate's campaign.

• 6 months later...

Former MP Pracha denies setting up own ambush

image_20110512125956E2CA41C8-DA6F-E426-BDFA668EAB14CC18.jpg

BANGKOK, May 12 -- Veteran politician Pracha Prasopdee told press conference with tears, denying that he was setting up his shooting incident but believed he knew who masterminded his killing attempt but he had forgiven and let the police did their job.

Former Puea Thai MP for Samut Prakarn Pracha told reporters at Rama 9 Hospital where he stayed for recovering from gun attack on Monday night in which he was shot in the back at around 9pm in the Phra Pradaeng area while he was driving his car to Phra Samut Chedi district.

Mr Pracha is one of the Puea Thai party members closest to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

He said Mr Thaksin had telephoned to ask about his condition and instructed him to move from Bang Pakok 1 Hospital to Rama 9 Hospital.

7 months later, the story is unraveling and dissolving...

Samut Prakan prosecutor declines to indict ex-Councillor

The Samut Prakan public prosecutor yesterday decided not to indict former provincial Councillor Samak Thiensuwan for the attempted murder of Pheu Thai MP Pracha Prasobdee.

The 84 year-old Samak, who operates a transport business based in Pak Nam, surrendered himself on September 1 over accusations that he hired a gunman who injured Pracha in a shootout in the Phra Pradaeng area in May. Samak was later freed on bail.

Samak was present in Samut Prakan Court at 10am yesterday when the prosecutor announced that there was insufficient evidence to indict Samak, who would remain free pending the gathering of further evidence by police.

Samak later thanked police and the prosecutor for seeing that justice was served. He said he had been falsely accused, possibly by a politician who was jealous of his daughter's successful political career as a Samut Prakan councillor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-25

BANGKOK, May 12 -- Veteran politician Pracha Prasopdee told press conference with tears, denying that he was setting up his shooting incident but believed he knew who masterminded his killing attempt but he had forgiven and let the police did their job.

Former Puea Thai MP for Samut Prakarn Pracha told reporters at Rama 9 Hospital where he stayed for recovering from gun attack on Monday night in which he was shot in the back at around 9pm in the Phra Pradaeng area while he was driving his car to Phra Samut Chedi district.

Mr Pracha is one of the Puea Thai party members closest to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Samut Prakan public prosecutor yesterday decided not to indict former provincial Councillor Samak Thiensuwan for the attempted murder of Pheu Thai MP Pracha Prasobdee.

The 84 year-old Samak, who operates a transport business based in Pak Nam, surrendered himself on September 1 over accusations that he hired a gunman who injured Pracha in a shootout in the Phra Pradaeng area in May. Samak was later freed on bail.

Samak was present in Samut Prakan Court at 10am yesterday when the prosecutor announced that there was insufficient evidence to indict Samak, who would remain free pending the gathering of further evidence by police.

Samak later thanked police and the prosecutor for seeing that justice was served. He said he had been falsely accused, possibly by a politician who was jealous of his daughter's successful political career as a Samut Prakan councillor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-25

It's like a <deleted>' episode of 'Dallas' around here sometimes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-25

It's like a <deleted>' episode of 'Dallas' around here sometimes.

Worth noting that J.R. Ewing's (Pracha Prasobdee) sister (mentioned earlier in the thread) was also installed into a government position at # 18 of 26, following the shooting.

Government names 26 red-shirt political officers

The Nation

2011-09-01

18. Naruemon Tharndamrong, adviser to Labour Minister, younger sister of Samut Prakan MP and red leader Pracha Prasopdee