Alcohol Ban In Thailand On Visakha Bucha Day On 17 May

george

Alcohol ban in Thailand on Visakha Bucha Day on 17 May

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has launched a campaign against sales of alcoholic beverages on Buddhist holy days in a bid to protect people from the danger of drinking.

According to the BMA, since the enforcement of the Alcoholic Beverages Control Act in 2009, good cooperation had been received from large retail stores. However, many restaurants and small retail shops have been found to continue selling alcohol.

Therefore, on the upcoming Visakha Bucha Day on 17 May, a strict alcohol ban will be imposed throughout the Kingdom. Anyone found selling alcoholic beverages will be subject to a jail term of up to six months and/or a fine of not more than 10,000 THB.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-12 footer_n.gif

The BMA has launched a campaign and THEREFOR the ban will be imposed throughout the Kingdom ?

I've nothing against the ban, but I didn't know the BMA elite ruled the Kingdom :ermm:

Going to be a lot more alcohol sold in stores between now and 16 May. Guess I'll get my couple cases of Chang beer tomorrow or Saturday at Makro or Lotus to ensure the frig has beer on 17 May.

Edited by Pib

Already in the cellar B)

Phew thank goodness I am not Buddhist! My local Mom ans Pops store also recognizes this fact and dont mind selling me beer any time of the day or year! It also complies with my religion being a Christian after all :) Jesus was partial to the odd glass of wine or two wasnt he?

• Like 1

i see more drinking during these holidays then any other day !!! , everyone knowes of the ban ( which only happens at 7/11 and family mart ) , so everyone stocks up, and if you run out, pop down your local mom and pops store who will happlily sell you

i see more drinking during these holidays then any other day !!! , everyone knowes of the ban ( which only happens at 7/11 and family mart ) , so everyone stocks up, and if you run out, pop down your local mom and pops store who will happlily sell you

True but it's nice to have a day off the sauce if you know what I mean. :wai:

:burp:

the 5 or 6 wholesale / retail shops in my town will sell me wholesale on the day.....but we are not allowed to sell it in the bar.?? local police will see to that. It's such an important big Buddhist day here but so many Thai forget their religion. What a mix up. I would say Enforce it properly, but why punish tourists in holiday areas ?? when mills of Thais are drinking

It's amazing how religion can be (ab-)used to impose on people.

Why would the BMA not allow me to have a glass of fine Italian wine while I have lunch in my favorite restaurant?

And I always thought Buddhism is the believe of tolerant people...

Don't you just love living in a modern, emerging, democratic society? Just as well it's mid week as I only drink weekends. It is encouraging though to know that they are only thinking of everyones good health. I am sure that many lives will be saved? :burp:

jb1

• 1 year later...

It's amazing how religion can be (ab-)used to impose on people.

Why would the BMA not allow me to have a glass of fine Italian wine while I have lunch in my favorite restaurant?

And I always thought Buddhism is the believe of tolerant people...

I always make a point of getting plastered on the compulsory dry days to signal god that I don't give a f...