Advice On Selling A Used Motorbike In Chiang Mai

Trying to sell a surplus motorbike JRD automatic about 4 or 5 years old, it is not perfect but looks very neath, drives smooth and although I want only 6000b it's amazingly hard to sell. Did not check the many pawnshops yet, but no good experiences with them either. Although it has a few problems (need to use the kickstart) it's a nice thing for 140 Euro. It seems getting spare parts for a JRD is hard that's what I hear everywhere, but they have no problem with all kinds of weird modifications like putting used Toyota engines in old Mercedesses and Volvo's etc. Guess in Africa one would be very happy with having a simple motorbike but here they're all addicted to Japanese stuff and many kids are spoiled only want to be seen with Nokias and Hondas...... Wonder if someone can advise me a place to sell it, tried various second hand motorbike places in town but nobody wants it... If you rent a bike it already cost you 6k a month right..

Thanks in advance !

Edited by Member

You may already know this, but in case you do not..... there is a dealer/manufacture in both BKK and Songkhla. I would think you could get parts from them to maintain the bike. Not quite as easy as getting Japanese parts, maybe, but since you have the bike already........

Bkk's email is: brightwheel (at) jrdwheel.com

Songkhla's email is: rickyseah2003 (at)yahoo.com

Edited by sbk
emails removed-please do not feed the spammers

Its not about getting the parts. In fact, there is a dealer/mechanic on Sri Don Chai road just off the moat. The issue is that the JRD bikes are really bad quality. The paint seems to fade away quickly, the plastic parts become very brittle, electronics are useless, and mechanically they are <deleted>.

I've heard that a few years ago, before the showrooms on Wulai Rd shut down, they were selling the motorbikes as a buy 1 get 1 free deal.

Maybe you can try to sell it to one of the local vocational schools, or possibly the shop on Sri don chai can do something with it?

You may already know this, but in case you do not..... there is a dealer/manufacture in both BKK and Songkhla. I would think you could get parts from them to maintain the bike. Not quite as easy as getting Japanese parts, maybe, but since you have the bike already........

Regarding the edit: automated spam bots scan the internet for email address (recognized by the @) those email addresses are collected and sold by bulk to spam organizations.

Regarding the edit: automated spam bots scan the internet for email address (recognized by the @) those email addresses are collected and sold by bulk to spam organizations.

Precisely member, its why we don't allow emails, if you must then please use the (at) as I am sure those people wouldn't appreciate the spam bots harvesting their emails.

Its not about getting the parts. In fact, there is a dealer/mechanic on Sri Don Chai road just off the moat. The issue is that the JRD bikes are really bad quality. The paint seems to fade away quickly, the plastic parts become very brittle, electronics are useless, and mechanically they are <deleted>.

I've heard that a few years ago, before the showrooms on Wulai Rd shut down, they were selling the motorbikes as a buy 1 get 1 free deal.

Maybe you can try to sell it to one of the local vocational schools, or possibly the shop on Sri don chai can do something with it?

The shop at Sri Don Chay (where it was bought) they not want it back. By the way little correction it's only 3,5 years old. You are right about the quality, but it drives very good and is safe, has few tech problems yes but for 6,000 you can't get much right. I would keep it if I needed it.

Or would you prefer a Kolao ? (fake Honda made in China, much sold in Laos) :lol:

3 years ago the Girlfriend had one of those little Honda mini 50cc motorbikes, the type used for just riding about in the local Sois and was not legal on the actual main roads, could not be registered for a number plate.

She decided to progress onto a Honda Wave and sell her small motorbike.

The bike was in excellent working condition, had a full service history and so on.

Her starting price was at 6000 baht, not even 1 inquiry. Then she dropped down to 4000 baht, again no interest.

Then 3000 baht, then 2500 baht, 1000 baht and still no one was interested. This was over a time period of a year and a half.

I just wanted the thing out the way.

In the end we gave the motorbike away to one of the locals for his 14 years old daughter to use.

As many of you may know, as farangs, we are expected to buy for more and sell for much less.

All you can do is; advertise on forums like Thai visa, place some ads up outside the Rin Ping supermarkets. The UN Irish Pub I believe has an advertisement notice board in the restaurant and you can let people know by word of mouth.

Another option is that if you are intending to purchase a new motorbike from a shop, then they may give you something towards your old bike as a trade in.

These are about the only options open to you.

Hope you have better success then I did with the sale of your motorbike,