Thailand Interested In Australian Asylum Seeker Swap

Lite Beer

Thailand interested in Australian asylum seeker swap

SYDNEY, May 15, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand is interested in an asylum seeker deal similar to the one Canberra plans with Malaysia as Prime Minister Julia Gillard reiterated Sunday that new boat people will not be processed in Australia.

A week ago Australia announced alterations to its immigration policy designed to break people-smuggling and stem the flood of boats carrying asylum seekers to its shores.

Under the changes, Australia has proposed sending 800 asylum seekers to Malaysia for processing and in return it will accept 4,000 people already assessed by the latter to be refugees for resettlement over four years.

Despite the Malaysia plan sparking criticism that Australia is returning to a disputed policy of banishing boat people to poor neighbours, Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said his country would be interested in a similar deal.

"The agreement between Australia and Malaysia on this particular model based on, I think, five to one ratio is something that the rest of us will be interested to look at," he said.

Speaking at a press conference late Saturday after talks in Bangkok with his Australian counterpart Kevin Rudd, Piromya said many countries were looking for a systematic way to deal with an influx of asylum seekers.

"The Australian-Malaysian likely agreement would provide some sort of certainty and also a model for others to study," said Piromya in a transcript supplied by Rudd's office.

"The whole issue could be discussed further by all the other countries involved."

Many of the refugees Australia is set to take from Malaysia are from Myanmar, and travelled via Thailand.

Australia is also in negotiations with its impoverished northern neighbour Papua New Guinea on opening an immigration processing centre, but no deal has yet been finalised.

Gillard said the message to asylum seekers was crystal clear.

"Don't come to Australia expecting to be processed because you won't be," she told ABC Television.

More than 7,800 boat people have arrived in Australian waters since the beginning of 2010, with the first vessel since the Malaysia swap was announced being intercepted on Friday.

The 32 people on board were taken to Christmas Island, the remote Indian Ocean territory where boat people are normally detained until their claims can be assessed, for identity checks.

Gillard made clear they would then be sent elsewhere.

"We will hold them until we can remove them," she said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-15

OMG

Its only cos its 3am in los that this topic hasnt yet been flamed.

In fact the effrontary has left me dumbstruck

You only have to keep up with the ever informative TV.com to know there are more than 1 million illegals here already (what would building sites do without them). We are also told of the appalling conditions under which they exist under tacit agreement with big business.

How many thousand Hmongs were forcibly repatriated to Laos recently after existing here for years and almost certain to be treated harshly when they gat back.

What about the hill tribesmen deliberately disenfranchised even though they were established in the hills for centuries

The only thing worse than this is Tony Bliar

After a vote by Australia Men

we had a 95% vote that we agree that Thailand send to Australia there Bar Girls who the Government want to get rid of

On a ration 0f 6 to every unwanted illegal immigrant we send to Thailand

we had a 95% vote that we agree that Thailand send to Australia there Bar Girls who the Government want to get rid of

They already do....they call them students.

Smart move..the boat refugees would feel more 'at home' in a country of their religious beliefs and customs. After repatriating Vietnamese over the years they have settled and adapted as Australians as would the Burmese and Laotions.

Torching and rioting at processing centres have started the ball rolling..that lot will be the first turfed to Malaysia.. Stay tuned.

Oh that wouldnt work.......firstly the BIB would miss out on their perks, money and otherwise, and then there would be no reason for a large % of the inbound tourists to head for thailand....they could stay at home instead. TAT would have to up prices to cover the downfall of tourists....or fudge the figures even more than they do now.

Guess that would increase the local Ausi karaoke and coyote industry tho. The girls could send more money home to Isaan from the higher rates they can charge so Thai economy booms in the NE and PTP would then romp home in the election.....

So evey cloud has a silver lining.

Australia then could be the HUB of asylum seeking bar girls.

Edited by visions

Smart move..the boat refugees would feel more 'at home' in a country of their religious beliefs and customs. After repatriating Vietnamese over the years they have settled and adapted as Australians as would the Burmese and Laotions.

Torching and rioting at processing centres have started the ball rolling..that lot will be the first turfed to Malaysia.. Stay tuned.

I do remember reading where the Thai Navy stripped the engines off the boat people's boats near Phuket, giving them a hand full of rice and some water, towing them out to sea and saying see ya later? Haven't heard what happened to them and haven't heard of any more boat people coming to Thailand. Now that is how you stop them. Not much processing there.

"We will hold them until we can remove them," she said.

Thailand the Hub of Boat people?..................................:jap:

@ozzieman05

I like that idea, in fact I may have one better,...on the 5 to 1 ratio, I'll trade 1 ex wife for 5 gogo girls!

Six Virgin Go-Go girls for every Aussie......:jap:

@ozzieman05

I like that idea, in fact I may have one better,...on the 5 to 1 ratio, I'll trade 1 ex wife for 5 gogo girls!

I guess you never plan to sleep again.

Not because of too much sex,

but because they will play techno 24/7

I definetly agree with this rich idea. Indeed, the girls should be seriously checked up prior we open them a refugee file. I suggest I would be the President of the according Commission. You're welcome to be nominated Vice-President + Secretary + Treasurer + Medical Survey Surgeon General...

Welcome to NGO, aimed to the well being of people...

I don't want to sound racist (or religionist?), but the Burmese/Karen/whatever refugees from Thailand & Burma would probably have an easier time assimilating in Australia than the Iraqi/Afgani refugees currently in the Aussie detention centers would.

I don't want to sound racist (or religionist?), but the Burmese/Karen/whatever refugees from Thailand & Burma would probably have an easier time assimilating in Australia than the Iraqi/Afgani refugees currently in the Aussie detention centers would.

Ditto!

snapback.pngotherstuff1957, on 2011-05-16 13:57:30, said:

Totally agree with you.

oh no, now they will all head to Belgium, garbage of the world, where illegal economic refugies are welcomed in hotels (no joke) and get free lawyers to sue the governement for 500 euros per day, when they don't get a nice place to sleep

Australians oppose Malaysia boatpeople deal: poll

SYDNEY, May 16, 2011 (AFP) - Nearly six in ten Australians oppose the government's plan to send asylum seekers to Malaysia, with many believing it will do little to stop the arrival of boatpeople, a poll showed Monday.

The Nielsen poll of 1,400 voters found 58 percent were against the deal, which will see Australia send 800 boatpeople to Malaysia in return for taking 4,000 of their refugees over four years, the Sydney Morning Herald said.

Asked about the proposal's impact, 58 percent said it would make no difference to boat arrivals, while 23 percent felt these would increase.

Only 16 percent thought the numbers of asylum seekers risking their lives to reach Australia via transit hubs such as Indonesia and Malaysia would fall as a result of the new policy.

"The electorate views everything the government does through a prism of suspicion -- 'Whatever you are doing, we don't like it'," Nielsen's John Stirton told the Herald.

The government is expected to begin sending boat arrivals to Malaysia for processing as soon as the deal is finalised, with Thailand and Papua New Guinea also indicating they could accept asylum seekers from Australia.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has said the first batch to be sent offshore for processing will be the 32 who arrived in Australia over the weekend -- despite no deal yet being finalised with another government.

Until then, they will be detained at an immigration detention facility on the Indian Ocean territory of Christmas Island, a site of recent violent unrest among frustrated asylum seekers.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-16

They are already here in my living room in Sydney (Neutral Bay) about 4 or 5 days per week all visiting my wife, cooking food, chattign , gossiping (nin ta, nin ta, nin ta) facebooking, texting and making calls etc. They come & go a bit & new faces roate all the time etc. Most are married, most are average or ugly looking, some are stunners (including my wife). Wide makes then all chip in for the food they cook so it doesn't bother me. If most of them were not married with kids already (about 3 in 4 are) I could start a handy business here at home!

I go along with that..better than all the garbage we are going to get here..thanks to our weak Government

@ozzieman05

I guess you never plan to sleep again.

Not because of too much sex,

but because they will play techno 24/7

Sorry, of course some third gender will be part of the deal. I'm not sure if virgins are still available, but you'll see....:jap:

They are already here in my living room in Sydney (Neutral Bay) about 4 or 5 days per week all visiting my wife, cooking food, chattign , gossiping (nin ta, nin ta, nin ta) facebooking, texting and making calls etc. They come & go a bit & new faces roate all the time etc. Most are married, most are average or ugly looking, some are stunners (including my wife). Wide makes then all chip in for the food they cook so it doesn't bother me. If most of them were not married with kids already (about 3 in 4 are) I could start a handy business here at home!

55555555555555555 you're a lucky guy. Hope they make some Somtham Laos for you as well.:jap:

oh no, now they will all head to Belgium, garbage of the world, where illegal economic refugies are welcomed in hotels (no joke) and get free lawyers to sue the governement for 500 euros per day, when they don't get a nice place to sleep

Belgium is the right place for them! Plus 500 Euros a day for doing nothing is just fair. Or not? The Flemish or the French part?:jap:

Point taken my friend

It is no different here believe me

Oh that wouldnt work.......firstly the BIB would miss out on their perks, money and otherwise, and then there would be no reason for a large % of the inbound tourists to head for thailand....they could stay at home instead. TAT would have to up prices to cover the downfall of tourists....or fudge the figures even more than they do now.

Guess that would increase the local Ausi karaoke and coyote industry tho. The girls could send more money home to Isaan from the higher rates they can charge so Thai economy booms in the NE and PTP would then romp home in the election.....

So evey cloud has a silver lining.

Australia then could be the HUB of asylum seeking bar girls.

Must agree that money will go back to Issan

But our PM will be happy to give them all money trees

If the economy in Issan gets better there would be no need for the Red shirts they would all be middle class

Hopefully this will deter a few of them from heading to Australia. No more cosy dry detention centres in OZ with free education, health care, social security payments, mobile phones or free laptops. Instead a couple of years in BKK Hilton style accomadation. I am sure that the Thai's will not allow them simply riot and sit back and watch as the burn they place down.

Edited by softgeorge