I forgot to get a re-entry permit, now what?

After going through all the hoops to get a non-immigrant visa and work permit to work as a foreign correspondent here in Thailand, I left the country for three weeks in January and totally forgot I had to have a re-entry permit.

So now I'm back in Thailand with 30 days only, etc. Has anyone else faced this situation and if so are there any easy solutions? Or do I simply have to start over again?

Assuming I do have to start again - and this is what Thai immigration has told me I must do - then I have a couple more questions.

1) Can I get a non-B visa for the purpose of getting the one-year extension at the Thai consulate in Vientiane or Kunming? Thai immigration says yes, just go to VTE or elsewhere, but I thought I remembered being told once that you could only get the non-B in your home country (I'm American).

2) Is my work permit now invalid? Do I have to apply for a new one all over again or can the same book be revalidated after I get another non-B?

Thanks for any advice. I know, it was really dumb leaving without the re-entry permit. I wish I'd found this forum before I left without one. No one at the One-Stop Center mentioned I had to have one when I got the extension, work permit, etc. But no excuses ...

No good. You are back to square one, and have to apply for a new Non-Immigrant Visa outside the Kingdom, Malaysia or any country's Thai embassy/consulate is just fine.

Bring the normal documents (see our website thaivisa.com -->> Non Immigrant)  together with a copy of your work permit to the consulate/embassy together with a letter from your employer explaining the situation.

The work permit issue maybe can be solved. When was it issued? Valid until when?

Thanks. At least it's a relief to know I can start the process again in Vientiane or Kunming. I happen to be heading to Kunming anyway on 10 April.

My work permit was issued on 25 Sep 2002 and is valid till 25 Aug 2003.

So if I get the visa straightened out before the work permit expires, it can be used again in conjunction with the next visa?

After you have a new NON-B you should visit the labour department ASAP with a big bottle of Johnnie Black, and ask them to update your work permit book to the new 90 days visa you have got.

If they are nice with you they will update the WP to be in sync with your 90 days visa. If they have a bad day they will cancel it straight away, as it is technically invalid when your visa expires. And your visa expired when you travelled out without a re-entry permit.

Good luck!

Thanks for that. One thing, the last time I did the visa extension and work permit, I didn't have to go to the labour dept or to immigration, as it was all handled at the One-Stop Visa & Work Permit Centre in Ratchada. Does that make any difference?

Just to back up a bit, my whole process started last July with a visit to the MFA, where I sat for an interview with a lady in charge of foreign correspondent visa applications. Once she approved the ap (two weeks later), she gave me a letter from the MFA ordering Thai immigration to issue the visa extension and ordering the labour dept to issue the work permit. I took these letters to the One-Stop and in a couple hours it was done. I also had to visit the Dept of Public Relations to receive the international press card, which I assume is still valid as it wasn't contingent on the work permit (at least I don't think so, as it was issued before I got the work permit). It looks like a little passport.

Your case is a bit special beacuse the One Stop Center is involved. You might want to consult with them on the whole visa & work permit issue, even before you make a visa run.

They are quite powerful (runned by BOI), so they might have other ideas for your special case.

Note: It can be risky to contact them as well, they could cancel your work permit!) beacuse the are playing 100% by the books, and are not always as "flexible" as Immigration and Labour...

Please report back to us here in the forum how it goes.

"Note: It can be risky to contact them as well, they could cancel your work permit!) beacuse the are playing 100% by the books, and are not always as "flexible" as Immigration and Labour..."

This is exactly what I feared. I think I'll just go for the non-B in Kunming first, then start the process in the beginning by going to the MFA like I did before. Then I'll go to the One-Stop with MFA's letter and see what happens. Maybe they'll take away the last work permit and give me a new one.

At any rate I'll report back as I complete the process.

Thanks again for your helpful advice.