Relinquishing Wp And Then....

Hi all, wonder if someone can help me out.

I'm 33, British, been here for 10 years, holder of a current WP and Non-B. Visa was just renewed for another year and tomorrow am supposed to do same for the WP, except that my circumstances have changed and I may end up going back to Britain as soon as July or maybe October.

I've heard that once you hand back the WP you have 7 days to leave as your visa will no longer be recognized. Is there no way around this? As I may want to spend a couple of weeks tying up loose ends here rather than just 7 days and I don't want to do a visa run just for that.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Do you have a valid non-B or are you on an extension of stay. If you are on an extension of stay from immigration based on your employement, you have to leave the country the day your employement ends. You can get 7 days from immigration, fro 1,900 baht and that is it. Unless you qualify for another reason for an extension of stay, like being married to a Thai.

If not, you have to leave the country and maybe return on a tourist visa from a neighbouring country (gives you 60 days), just hop over the border by land transport and retun, (gives you 15 days) or hop over the boder and back by plane (30 days).

Thanks Mario, I am on a non-B extension for employment so you've pretty much answered that for me, but I am married to a Thai. Do you think that would qualify me for a longer extension without leaving the country?

Thanks Mario, I am on a non-B extension for employment so you've pretty much answered that for me, but I am married to a Thai. Do you think that would qualify me for a longer extension without leaving the country?

Yes, you can get a 60 day extension instead of oonly 7 days if you go to immirgation with your wife, her ID-card and household registration and marriage certificate.

You can apply for an extension of stay of 1 year if you can show:

- an income of 40,000 baht (can be from abroad)

or

- 400,000 THb in a bank account in thailand in your name only. Money has to be there for at least 2 months.

For the 1 year extension extra documents are needed, such as photo's of you and the wife in and outside the house and a copy of the entry into the marriage register.