What Is The Necessary Proof Of Leaving Country

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Thailand for just under 60 days in the summer, and planning to take a break of two weeks to a month in Laos. I am an Irish citizen and my girlfriend is a British citizen.

We are planning to cross to Laos by bus, and also have no particular itinery, so wish to keep it flexible. We are also doing this trip on a serious budget, and so would like if at all possible to avail of the visa-free periods of travel during Thailand: ie., leaving to Laos before 30 days, and coming back with less then 15 days before we leave. Since we are not flying out of the country we cannot provide proof of our trip to Laos upon arrival; the train does not cross the border, and it is not possiblwe to prebook the bus.

Are there other acceptable proofs of leaving the country, such as a hostel or hotel reservation in Laos? Do they always check proof of leaving / are they very hardline about proof? At what point do they check (I thought I read somewhere that it was the responsibility of the airline, not BKK airport)? Is it possible to chance it and then just buy a 60 day visa when we arrive if it doesn't work out / is it then more expensive?

Any help appreciated. What would you recomend?

Thanks guys

In the situation described by the OP, ie travelling to Thailand without a visa (avail of the visa-free periods of travel during Thailand: ie., leaving to Laos before 30 days) the airlines can, and often do, require proof of leaving Thailand within 30 days from arrival as a condition for allowing the passenger to board.

In the situation described by the OP, ie travelling to Thailand without a visa (avail of the visa-free periods of travel during Thailand: ie., leaving to Laos before 30 days) the airlines can, and often do, require proof of leaving Thailand within 30 days from arrival as a condition for allowing the passenger to board.

Yes thats way I wrote get a touristvisa :) Last time I traveled from Norway on a onewayticket and no visa, I was asked how I will leave Thailand. I said bus, no problem, but that was Norway. I supose you can say you wil make a Non Img visa in BKK as well :D One ting for sure they dont ask if you have a tourist visa.

You can not make any visa in Thailand for your nationalities. So airline can require you to buy a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days to allow boarding if the notice. This is often not found if you do have a return ticket but if traveling on a one way ticket will normally be noted.

"Is it possible to chance it and then just buy a 60 day visa when we arrive if it doesn't work out / is it then more expensive?"

You cannot do this.

If you both have "return" tickets it is unlikely there would be a problem.

Thanks for your comments.

I think we will 'reserve' a ticket with a Laos airline, without paying for it, and book a hotel for the same day, just in case they do ask for something (we can say we paid by bank transfer if queried further).

It's a return flight (with Etihad), so hopefully it wil not even come to that.