The Fuzz Are Out In Force

snamos

same up near work...was pulled over in cherngtalay today and asked for my driver's license and registration. gave them my japanese driver's license, my american license and my international license. i was told my international license was "no good for thailand" (even though i got it in february) and fined 500 baht for not having a thai one. conveniently, they had one of their police friends sat right there with a table so i could pay on the spot. first time in the four years that i've lived here that i've ever been pulled over or fined.

a heads up--a friend working at centara grand in karon said there is a checkpoint set up in between that hotel and le meridien.

Did you get a receipt for that? Afaik should have been 300 baht in stead of 500. Plus your international one, if legit, should have been valid.

i did get a receipt and i went and talked to my HR department at work. they said that there is nothing that they can do. my international license is legit. i know i paid too much for the fine, but i couldn't really afford to be late for work. from what i gathered yesterday, 37 associates within my work place were pulled over yesterday--thai & foreign--and everyone was fined.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did get a receipt and i went and talked to my HR department at work. they said that there is nothing that they can do. my international license is legit. i know i paid too much for the fine, but i couldn't really afford to be late for work. from what i gathered yesterday, 37 associates within my work place were pulled over yesterday--thai & foreign--and everyone was fined.

any foreigner in Thailand can use foreign drivers lisence supported by International driving permit for max 90 days. If you are here for more than 90 days, are resident here(have a certificate of residence issued to buy a motocy for instance), work here, you need Thai drivers lisence. Police often do not care, but Insurance will focus on it to not have to pay a major claim

There are very simple tests required to qualify, and starting 0845 car lisence is issued by lunch and bike lisence by 3pm

any foreigner in Thailand can use foreign drivers lisence supported by International driving permit for max 90 days. If you are here for more than 90 days, are resident here(have a certificate of residence issued to buy a motocy for instance), work here, you need Thai drivers lisence. Police often do not care, but Insurance will focus on it to not have to pay a major claim

There are very simple tests required to qualify, and starting 0845 car lisence is issued by lunch and bike lisence by 3pm

thanks for the information, i do appreciate it! :) i've been here for way more than 90 days, and have been lazy to get the thai license! :)

Kind of a difficult one for me. I have been here many years, have a UK License and an International License but am unable to get a Thai License. I have already tried as I wanted another form of photographic ID. However, I am red/green colour blind so I failed the Thai exam in Phuket Town. I am therefore unable to get a Thai License. Not really much else I can do unless anyone here knows a legal way of going about this predicament. Any help much appreciated.Slightly worries me when Thai cops are saying that International Licenses are invalid.

Cheers,

Emubob

Pay the 500baht, id feel ripped off paying and wasting a full day going to that class where blind thais can get a license.

In many years here i have always used my local provincial drivers license.. only 1 time was i told it was not right and i was still able to leave without paying any tea money as i gave them a sincere "oh sorry face".

It's not about avoiding paying the cops.

It's about having a valid, legal license should you ever have an accident.

Do you want your insurance to be null and void just when you need it?

Very simple and very well said, KB.

Kind of a difficult one for me. I have been here many years, have a UK License and an International License but am unable to get a Thai License. I have already tried as I wanted another form of photographic ID. However, I am red/green colour blind so I failed the Thai exam in Phuket Town. I am therefore unable to get a Thai License. Not really much else I can do unless anyone here knows a legal way of going about this predicament. Any help much appreciated.Slightly worries me when Thai cops are saying that International Licenses are invalid.

Cheers,

Emubob

I am red/green colourblind too, so failed first colourtest. Second colortest is presently a poster on the wall and they point at large dots and you tell the colour. did you fail this one too?

Yeh Yeh, must get the Thai license. :whistling:

I shouldn't have done my recent border run to Malaysia without it.

But, now I have a new entry permit, does my 90 days on a IDP start again?

took me 7 years living here before I got TH DL :rolleyes:

my excuse was border runs every 90 days. however having certificate of residence issued to purchase vehicle makes us residents, and thus must have TH DL.

but until you get TH DL, support your DL with copy of passport stating you are here less than 90 days. Insurance would probably accept it in case of minor claims

Yeh Yeh, must get the Thai license. :whistling:

I shouldn't have done my recent border run to Malaysia without it.

But, now I have a new entry permit, does my 90 days on a IDP start again?

took me 7 years living here before I got TH DL :rolleyes:

my excuse was border runs every 90 days. however having certificate of residence issued to purchase vehicle makes us residents, and thus must have TH DL.

but until you get TH DL, support your DL with copy of passport stating you are here less than 90 days. Insurance would probably accept it in case of minor claims

thanks for all of the advice! i will get the TH DL once work lets up and i am free to take a few days off! :)

@ KataBeachBum

Yes...after failing the initial test in the little book they made me wait around until all the morning lot had finished. Did the book again but if you can't see the numbers, you can't see them. They then made me sit and look at a poster from quite far away and pointed at dots. The lighting was really bad though and I couldn't really tell. So.....I failed that also. They did say come back tomorrow and try again but I already wasted a morning and as those that have been know, it is a very long and frustrating process.

So having lived here for many years I can't get a Thai DL even though I would like one. I have made sure though that I have my UK and International DL up to date. So far I have yet to be asked for a license but I know that the longer I stay the more inevitable the chance. I just hope that they will be accepted should anything happen and because of the circumstances. There were also some young lads who failed the test too. What happened to them I am not sure but no doubt that will not have put them off riding around on Phuket's peaceful and safe roads!!!

@ KataBeachBum

Yes...after failing the initial test in the little book they made me wait around until all the morning lot had finished. Did the book again but if you can't see the numbers, you can't see them. They then made me sit and look at a poster from quite far away and pointed at dots. The lighting was really bad though and I couldn't really tell. So.....I failed that also. They did say come back tomorrow and try again but I already wasted a morning and as those that have been know, it is a very long and frustrating process.

So having lived here for many years I can't get a Thai DL even though I would like one. I have made sure though that I have my UK and International DL up to date. So far I have yet to be asked for a license but I know that the longer I stay the more inevitable the chance. I just hope that they will be accepted should anything happen and because of the circumstances. There were also some young lads who failed the test too. What happened to them I am not sure but no doubt that will not have put them off riding around on Phuket's peaceful and safe roads!!!

I have seen some guys using bluetooth earplug for phone and have someone tell them the numbers

Had a strange one today. On my way toward Cherngtalay on the scooter, just before the little road that goes down to Stereo Lab and the other Surin restaurants, sitting on the guardrail, in the shade, with a friend ( not another BIB), was a BIB who then put his hand out and stood up as I was scooting by.

No cones, no other BIBs, no one else stopping, hey, it actually sort of looked like he was waving at me (not obviously trying to stop me for riding without a helmet) so I just waved and smiled and flew on by. Sort of weird though, freelancer BIB hanging in the shade right there..........in six years never have seen BIBs at that spot.

Had a strange one today. On my way toward Cherngtalay on the scooter, just before the little road that goes down to Stereo Lab and the other Surin restaurants, sitting on the guardrail, in the shade, with a friend ( not another BIB), was a BIB who then put his hand out and stood up as I was scooting by.

No cones, no other BIBs, no one else stopping, hey, it actually sort of looked like he was waving at me (not obviously trying to stop me for riding without a helmet) so I just waved and smiled and flew on by. Sort of weird though, freelancer BIB hanging in the shade right there..........in six years never have seen BIBs at that spot.

GOM, i had to stay up at work over the weekend so was doing lots of running around in bang tao & surin...he was there on sunday, too. same scenario. strange, huh?

I just hope that they will be accepted should anything happen and because of the circumstances.

I have had no problems so far, and hope it stays that way, but I'm wondering if there is no way around this because of color blindness. It must be possible to legally obtain the license.

But accepted because of the circumstances? I think no way. You failed to pass for the license requirements.

snamos they were at the three way there yesterday too, in the dirveway of the 7/11 and across the street. They were looking for someone or some vehicle specifically as when GOM rode through with no helmet, they didn't pay attention.

yeah i got stopped the other night with no helmet on me or the gal about 100m down from chalong circle to towards rawaii on witchet road... ....someone also took a photo of me handing my licence to an officer with the important looking hat....no fine...maybe they were just proving they were out in force or something....but down at rawaii today there was smoke coming off the ticket books from the speed they were writing tickets rolleyes.gif

So your quite proud of driving on Thailands roads with no Helmet on?

Lets hope you can pay for your medical care or even worse your funeral expenses, when not if you get your head smashed open when some 10 yr old Thai with no licence smashes into you. And don't say your health insurance will cover it as it won't because you were driving illegally and probably no licence to boot.

same up near work...was pulled over in cherngtalay today and asked for my driver's license and registration. gave them my japanese driver's license, my american license and my international license. i was told my international license was "no good for thailand" (even though i got it in february) and fined 500 baht for not having a thai one. conveniently, they had one of their police friends sat right there with a table so i could pay on the spot. first time in the four years that i've lived here that i've ever been pulled over or fined.

a heads up--a friend working at centara grand in karon said there is a checkpoint set up in between that hotel and le meridien.

Once you have been in Thailand for 3 months your IDP is invalid and you need a Thai licence. You need to return to your home country first for your IDP to be Valid again. A border run to Cambodia is not sufficient.

It amazes me the number of Foreigners and Thai's that don't take a Thai test in fact with a Valid IDP you don't take the full test. They are happy to run the gauntlet of dibble and risk a 500 Baht fine for something that costs little over 100 Baht and 3 hours of your time.

Incidentally when you ride/drive without a valid licence there is no insurance valid so make sure you have those Bahts in your pocket because the bills will be high.

We've even got my wifes family wearing helmets now in the sticks they are about the only ones better to be covered up and alive than brainless and dead.

Story 2 weeks ago in Jomtiem Pattaya 2 little kids facially maimed for life because their selfish Mum put them on a bike with no helmets.

I saw a dead girl on Pattaya Klang a few months ago no helmet poor thing only about 19 yrs old her whole life ahead of her, snuffed out for no reason. The sad thing was she had her helmet with her but thought she was too cool and sexy not to wear it.

snamos they were at the three way there yesterday too, in the dirveway of the 7/11 and across the street. They were looking for someone or some vehicle specifically as when GOM rode through with no helmet, they didn't pay attention.

yeah i got stopped the other night with no helmet on me or the gal about 100m down from chalong circle to towards rawaii on witchet road... ....someone also took a photo of me handing my licence to an officer with the important looking hat....no fine...maybe they were just proving they were out in force or something....but down at rawaii today there was smoke coming off the ticket books from the speed they were writing tickets rolleyes.gif

Lets hope you can pay for your medical care or even worse your funeral expenses, when not if you get your head smashed open when some 10 yr old Thai with no licence smashes into you. And don't say your health insurance will cover it as it won't because you were driving illegally and probably no licence to boot.

Once you have been in Thailand for 3 months your IDP is invalid and you need a Thai licence. You need to return to your home country first for your IDP to be Valid again. A border run to Cambodia is not sufficient.

It amazes me the number of Foreigners and Thai's that don't take a Thai test in fact with a Valid IDP you don't take the full test. They are happy to run the gauntlet of dibble and risk a 500 Baht fine for something that costs little over 100 Baht and 3 hours of your time.

Incidentally when you ride/drive without a valid licence there is no insurance valid so make sure you have those Bahts in your pocket because the bills will be high.

We've even got my wifes family wearing helmets now in the sticks they are about the only ones better to be covered up and alive than brainless and dead.

Story 2 weeks ago in Jomtiem Pattaya 2 little kids facially maimed for life because their selfish Mum put them on a bike with no helmets.

I saw a dead girl on Pattaya Klang a few months ago no helmet poor thing only about 19 yrs old her whole life ahead of her, snuffed out for no reason. The sad thing was she had her helmet with her but thought she was too cool and sexy not to wear it.

a little FYI...i always wear my helmet, i was not stopped for that reason. set up the TDL appointment already.

Would i get some sort of reward right now for taking police men in uniform without helmets, riding like monkeys on my road? Tons of them and they seem high ranking.

Police are allowed to drive without helmet.

That may be. I know many states in America have exceptions to seatbelt laws for peace officers. I know in California we did. Off topic but interestingly there is a US federal labor law which "prohibits the tying chaining or RESTRAINING any person at their place of work." Truck drivers have successfully used this get out of seat belt violations.

No wonder then.. how can a mindless bunch be incited to protect themselves with helmets when even their officer of the law aren't wearing them?

Even educated, rational thais don't wear helmets.. im pretty sure if the police showed the way some would get used to putting on helmets just by association

If I could get the soapbox you are standing on back please, I need to stand on it and spout about all the people drowning due to going in the water when they don't know how to swim.

P.S. I've been showing a U.S. drivers license for over six years, BIB's have always accepted it.

That may be. I know many states in America have exceptions to seatbelt laws for peace officers. I know in California we did. Off topic but interestingly there is a US federal labor law which "prohibits the tying chaining or RESTRAINING any person at their place of work." Truck drivers have successfully used this get out of seat belt violations.

I recently took a ride in the front of a police pickup (legit reasons, friend ot the owner of the house we were buying). I went to put on the seatbelt only to find it was completely unuseable; it would not move out of its socket. Of course the driver wasn't wearing one either.

I know this has gone a little off topic but it's a relevant point with regard to the last few posts.

Just got back from the Licence office. Arrived there just before 9am and was out before 10am with both car and motorbike licences valid for 1 year.

I recently took a ride in the front of a police pickup (legit reasons, friend ot the owner of the house we were buying). I went to put on the seatbelt only to find it was completely unuseable; it would not move out of its socket. Of course the driver wasn't wearing one either.

I know this has gone a little off topic but it's a relevant point with regard to the last few posts.

There are many countries, including Thailand, where postmen, ambulance staff and Police do not need to use seatbelts. Police is encouraged to use helmets when on duty, if they dont use hats

Got stopped just before the airport. No seatbelt on as it is jammed.. Which is annoying because I just replaced them. They weren't interested in that or a licence. They did look at my tax sticker. They were issuing fines but didn't look as efficient or excited as rawaii the other day.

Also regarding seatbelt wearing in australia taxi drivers are exempt from wearing them as they can be choked by them by potential robbers