Need To Surf My Website Offline

penzman

I ll need to show my website (php) to people on a trip and would like to be able to have it completely available offline. I ve tried saving it with Internet explorer, it worked but only 3 links deep.

I ve also tried quite a few freewares that allow to download a whole website but they all failed and seemed to only get the main page.

Is there any way to make it so that IE can go deeper than 3 links?

Any freeware that you recommend?

I'd download the whole thing by ftp onto your hard drive and if you have all the internal links written properly (in other words pointing to a directory/file rather than the URL) it should function flawlessly. I normally build most of a site on a desktop and upload it en mass to the server. You may have to install some server software on your comp first depending on what bells and whistles you are running on the site.

cv

I ll need to show my website (php) to people on a trip and would like to be able to have it completely available offline. I ve tried saving it with Internet explorer, it worked but only 3 links deep.

I ve also tried  quite a few freewares that allow to download a whole website but they all failed and seemed to only get the main page.

I'd download the whole thing by ftp onto your hard drive and if you have all the internal links written properly (in other words pointing to a directory/file rather than the URL) it should function flawlessly. I normally build most of a site on a desktop and upload it en mass to the server. You may have to install some server software on your comp first depending on what bells and whistles you are running on the site.

cv

I ve also tried  quite a few freewares that allow to download a whole website but they all failed and seemed to only get the main page.

That can quickly get very messy. OP says his site is php-driven, so he'll need at least php and presumably MySQL installed on his laptop, with something to start MySQL in case of reboot. And then copy the database from the site's database. Then he'll need to make sure any dependent PHP libraries are installed, e.g. GD if the site happens to use thumbnails generated on-the-fly. If the site has a files section where uploaded/downloadable files aren't stored in the database, they'll need to be manually copied too. Environment variables such as locale settings might need to be set up on the laptop. Cron jobs? Well I believe there are workarounds for Windows...

The basic problem is that dynamic websites can't be properly viewed offline, unless you have a copy of your webserver at home. The best that can be done is to view a static copy, a "snapshot" of your site, possibly with some inaccuracies. More often than not, that's sufficient for a presentation. In that case, the original approach is fine; keep trying the website copiers and take a close look at the settings (I recommend WinHTTrack.com for a compromise between ease of use and features for getting into those awkward sites). Or decide on a subset of pages, and save each one individually as a sensibly-named link.

If your website is a catalogue of your products and you're more concerned with showing your products than your site, consider going back to the developer and asking him to add a module that creates a nice printable catalogue. It can contain some, or all of the same product information as in the website. After all, that's the purpose of databases; storing information that can be used in different ways.

If you really do need the exact website working offline, with all its features, again you'll need to ask the developer, or someone else familiar with your webserver or hosting package, to set up your laptop to mirror the webserver.

since your site is php ud need to follow The_Other_Mac's advice....

just in case u need a static mirror on your computer, try httrack - http://www.httrack.com/ - its opensource and really configurable....

u can configure how many link deep u can go n stuff.....

i dunno how it handles php files....but i presume it would save them as htm files...

from their forum :-

> Is there an tutorial for configuring the program to

> copy php files?

What do you mean "copy php files"?  PHP generally generates regular HTML so

there is often no problem, even with the default HTTrack settings.

You can't download the actual PHP code if that's what you mean.

Edited by devil_dog