Yingluck's Secret Weapon: Nong Pipe

webfact

Yingluck's secret weapon: Nong Pipe

By NIPHAWAN KAEWRAKMUK

THE NATION

Phayao

It was a good start for Yingluck Shinawatra, the first woman to be seen as a serious contender for the Thai premiership, on her first major election campaign in her home town of Chiang Mai this past weekend.

The welcome was an overwhelmingly warm one, from both supporters and close relatives.

It was not the first time that members of the Shinawatra family had appeared in public to offer moral support to their relatives. When former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and other family members faced legal problems, or when they campaigned for an election, well-known members of the family were often seen accompanying them.

This time, Yingluck was accompanied by her sister Yaowapa Wongsawat, her nephew Panthongtae - Thaksin's son - and her own nine-year-old son. Earlier, her closest family members were largely unknown because she wanted to shield her family from the glare of publicity, but she finally introduced her only son for the first time.

A small voice said: "Please vote No 1 for my mum." It came from Nong Pipe or Supasek Amornchart, 9, the son of Yingluck's marriage to Anusorn Amornchart. Pipe helped to distribute Yingluck's flyers while his mother was campaigning in the North.

He is in Grade 3 at Harrow International School in Bangkok, and enjoys playing soccer. His mother even had a 2,500-square-metre football pitch made at their house - just for young Pipe. He is a Chelsea fan and his favourite player is Frank Lampard.

Pipe kept close to his mother during the weekend's campaigning. Normally, he goes to see movies with his parents during weekends, but from now until July 3, he will be helping his mother campaigning around the country for the upcoming election.

However, a boy is always a boy. When asked if he enjoyed the campaign, Nong Pipe replied: "Sometimes I don't like it because the waiting takes too long, and sometimes the crowd mobs me."

However, he seems to have politics in his blood. Despite feeling a bit bored, he always smiles when supporters of all ages greet him with flowers or ask to have photos taken with him. And he instantly shows an index finger - meaning No 1, the Pheu Thai Party's election number - to the crowds.

Pipe said he would be happy to let his mother be prime minister, although it would mean she would be busy and have little time for him.

"It's OK because my mum intends to work for the people and the country," he said, bringing a big smile to his mother's face.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-24

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This time, Yingluck was accompanied by her sister Yaowapa Wongsawat, her nephew Panthongtae - Thaksin's son - and her own nine-year-old son. Earlier, her closest family members were largely unknown because she wanted to shield her family from the glare of publicity, but she finally introduced her only son for the first time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess soon we will also read news in the Nation in the likes of,yesterday it snowed in Thailand and Santa Claus came with his sledge but nobody noticed because it was night time.

Edited by janverbeem

<br />
<br /><br />Yingluck's marriage to Anusorn Amornchart<br /><br />
<br /><br />Any plans for Yingluck to legally register the marriage?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Why?

To not skirt the asset declaration laws for legal spouses.

<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Why?

That's your opinion. Many people do not register their relationships. I can think of 2 million such couples in the UK that cohabitate. The relationship also means that the participants give up their riights to claim various assets should the relationship breakup. Who are yuo or anyone else to dictate how a couple should structure their personal relationships? If the tax authorities are unhappy with such relationships, they can request a change to the tax codes. What's next? Are you going to Pattaya to lecture the thousands of foreign residents that cohabitate?

Edited by geriatrickid

Why?

That's your opinion. Many people do not register their relationships. I can think of 2 million such couples in the UK that cohabitate.

Any of them you know with billions in baht in assets?

Many people do not register their relationships. I can think of 2 million such couples in the UK that cohabitate. The relationship also means that the participants give up their riights to claim various assets should the relationship breakup. Who are yuo or anyone else to dictate how a couple should structure their personal relationships? If the tax authorities are unhappy with such relationships, they can request a change to the tax codes. What's next? Are you going to Pattaya to lecture the thousands of foreign residents that cohabitate?

In England co-habitees do not call themselves Mr and Mrs.

Here in Thailand all newspaper reports refer to "his wife" or "her husband" yet when you read on they both have different surnames.

Only when a partnership is registered at an amphur does it become legal.

2500 sqm - not a bad sized playground for a 9 years old kiddy ... not bad, make her prime minister... she loves kids!

She could make it a policy promise - a 9,000 sq metre football pitch for very 9 yr old boy in Thailand, therefore reducing the gap.

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Why?<br />
<br /><br />To not skirt the asset declaration laws for legal spouses.<br /><br /><br />.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well not a legal spouse is not a legal spouse - which part did you not understand? No one has to be married.

Care to show us some facts that this has been done or that it is the reason. What funds have been hidden by who, where and how much? or at least show us a law that says you must be married to or have been married to all the fathers and or mothers of children you have for a declaration to be correct, that is going to devastate the Dem's also.

File a complaint if you have them. Otherwise non issue.

"It was a good start for Yingluck Shinawatra, the first woman to be seen as a serious contender for the Thai premiership"

Do you think her brother has told her yet that she is not going to be the Thai PM ?.....:whistling:

One thing for sure, at last there is real hope for Thailand. They just have to get rid of the old men who are there just for themselves and the power, men like Suthep. The coming of Yingluck is a real breath of fresh air for Thailand. " Like her politics or not". Thailand has to give her a chance. If she is a dud then there is the next election.

Good luck to Thailand i say !

- completely garbled quotes deleted -

What funds have been hidden by who, where and how much?

That is precisely what is unknown, but could be sorted out by transparent asset declaration statements by both members in a "marriage."

but then again, it's not to be expected as she will have plenty difficulty with filing just hers . ;)

and oh yes, Nong Pipe's, as well.

Edited by Buchholz

That is precisely what is unknown, but could be sorted out by transparent asset declaration statements by both members in a "marriage."

but then again, it's not to be expected as she will have plenty difficulty with filing just hers . ;)

More slurs and innuendo from the usual source including a "first", attacking a child.

If you have any evidence show it.

More slurs and innuendo from the usual source including a "first", attacking a child.

:cheesy:

There's no "attack" on a child in my post. Simply stating the reality that she will have to file an asset declaration statement for him.

There's been plenty of deals she's been involved in over the years. Let's hope she remembers them all when she files her statement.

Edited by Buchholz

"It was a good start for Yingluck Shinawatra, the first woman to be seen as a serious contender for the Thai premiership"

Do you think her brother has told her yet that she is not going to be the Thai PM ?.....:whistling:

Do you know that The Nation didn't told you that the interview with her brother was two weeks old? :whistling:

There's no "attack" on a child in my post. Simply stating the reality that she will have to file an asset declaration statement for him.

There's been plenty of deals she's been involved in over the years. Let's hope she remembers them all when she files her statement.

I might be wrong but I thought that a childs assets are considered those of the parents untill the child is an adult,therefore I should think that there is no need for a asset declaration for a 9 year old.

I might be wrong but I thought that a childs assets are considered those of the parents untill the child is an adult,therefore I should think that there is no need for a asset declaration for a 9 year old.

All political office-holders and high-ranking public officials must make full disclosure of all assets and liabilities, including those of their spouses and minor children.

Organic Act on Counter Corruption, B.E. 2542, § 32 (1999)

No you are quite right.But for some any old lie will do to slur.

So this is yet another run-of-the-mill topic to bash the Shinawatra family.

The Pheu Thai are going to win the election people, get used to the idea..!!

of course it is not a Shinawatra bashing topic....

I just want to remind you of these facts: When Thaksin became PM for the 1st time he hid his assets with his minor children, maid and driver.

Later in court he confessed and said "it was an honest mistake"

No you are quite right.But for some any old lie will do to slur.

Save your flaming and see above.

All political office-holders and high-ranking public officials must make full disclosure of all assets and liabilities, including those of their spouses and minor children.

Organic Act on Counter Corruption, B.E. 2542, § 32 (1999)

Give us a break Mum will get the votes, the kid will help mum get the votes and you are saying she will have to declare the footy pitch she bought him, give us a break. :blink: Dont bother quoting rubbish like

Organic Act on Counter Corruption, B.E. 2542, § 32 (1999) it just shows how stupid the comment is.

Save your flaming and see above.

Don't confuse flaming with criticism , mostly well deserved.

In this case I was wrong and apologise.I did check online the details of the Act and it does provide some most interesting provisions.

One wonders how so many public servants can become so hugely rich in Thailand and comply with the Act's provisions.

Anyway apologies again.