Another Shower Death

skippybangkok

post-87530-0-51400900-1306646190_thumb.j

an RCCB

Ground fault circuit interruptors in Thailand, a good one is SAFE-T-CUT (trademark)

i have something similar to this next to my shower.. over the last 2 years its gone off 2 times

does that means i would of died twice if my landlord was an idiot?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an RCCB

Ground fault circuit interruptors in Thailand, a good one is SAFE-T-CUT (trademark)

i have something similar to this next to my shower.. over the last 2 years its gone off 2 times

There is no way to be certain, but sleep well in the assurance that you didn't :)

Can anyone tell me why the RCB switch is affected by lightning? Is there something wrong with the wiring in the house/circuit box, or is it something I have to live with? Any suggestions from the experts appreciated.

Power disturbances can certainly trip your RCD.

If you have critical appliances why not wire them to the un-protected side of the RCD. Have a look at the split-service diagram here:- http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/Consumer.html

an RCCB

Ground fault circuit interrupters in Thailand, a good one is SAFE-T-CUT (trademark)

Maybe !!! but have it checked out, most times it just could be the shower heater being turn to full heat and the sensitivity level is too low.

How well do the built-in ELCB systems work on the newer heaters?

I have two fears in Thailand:

1) Frying in the shower.

2) Getting smashed by a drunk driver on the road.

They work well enough to protect you from an internal failure in the heater itself, they will not however, protect you from that iffy taped joint on the supply cable contacting something that is also in contact with you :(

RCDs in the distribution board are the way to go.

They work well enough to protect you from an internal failure in the heater itself, they will not however, protect you from that iffy taped joint on the supply cable contacting something that is also in contact with you :(

Thank you.

And the RCD are the same as the GFI used in the USA? I am familiar with those (GFI), but have not seen them here.

Thank you.

And the RCD are the same as the GFI used in the USA? I am familiar with those (GFI), but have not seen them here.

Yup, same thing.

Call it an RCD, ELCB, RCCB, GFI or Safe-T-Cut they all do the same thing, protecting you by detecting any current flow to ground that shouldn't be there :)

There are a few pictures earlier in the thread but the dead give-away when determining if you have an RCD is that it will have a 'Test' button, no test button, no RCD.

Crossy

How is this named in thai? my house will be finished in about 3weeks and i will make sure we get it installed.

The one that is absolutely going to be known is 'Safe-T-Cut' (actually a brand name), but the little ladies in HomePro knew what an RCD was when I asked (in English) :)

what about those built-in ones in instant water heaters Crossy???

That's terrible news.

Changing things like this is just going to make LOS like the dreary old west though, with it's nanny state mentality. It's these unnecessary dangers that make the place so colourful isn't it.

..are you for real, colourful, electrocuted in the shower you call that colourful <deleted>.

No, I wasn't being real. I was being sarcastic in order to highlight the reverse of what I said, if you see what I mean. I much prefer to live in a nannie state and not get electrocuted in the shower. Some may feel otherwise though.

To get a sarcastic point across, I would suggest enrolling in an Emoticons 101 course. whistling.gif

Otherwise your ambiguity invites negative reactions such as you've experienced. jap.gif

to understand sarcasm i would suggest possessing intelligence and a sense of humour.

Reliance on emoticons suggests the absence of both.

Did Jonathan Swift feel the need intersperse smilies throughout A Modest Proposal? i think not

what about those built-in ones in instant water heaters Crossy???

Wasn't that Tokay's question that I answered Naam? :)

The actual water heater inside is metal, (impure) water conducts electricity, water runs on you....

Fortunately tap water is not that good a conductor of electricity, the water showering over you cannot 'shock' you even if it is coming from a 'live' source.

Friend, please be careful as this will remain on the internet for all to read. Your words are those of a mechanic when musing on electricity. Mythbusters indeed.

"the water showering over you cannot 'shock' you even if it is coming from a 'live' source."

Pure water does not conduct electricity but the stuff coming from your tap is far from pure and is a very good conductor for the sake of this topic. If there's a fault with no earth, the juice will short to earth at its earliest convenience and if that's through you when water's pouring over you coming from the unit with a fault in it, you're a gonner.

"Else we would all die in Thailand when the rain hit the overhead electricity cables then fell onto us."

:lol: It doesn't work like that. Rain travels in droplets, hence there is no earth connection when they do hit. It would have to be a waterfall over the HTs. Same reason birds don't die and neither would you if you sat up there.

"Loads of people perpetuate the same silly mis-information, I can't believe how many ignorant people claim to work in the electrical installation business and keep repeating this rubbish."

Exactly, your words. Not sure where you received your live working training, but you clearly didn't listen on the physics of electrics. Your experience is working against you. Take heed and be careful spreading this stuff.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

No, I wasn't being real. I was being sarcastic in order to highlight the reverse of what I said, if you see what I mean. I much prefer to live in a nannie state and not get electrocuted in the shower. Some may feel otherwise though.

To get a sarcastic point across, I would suggest enrolling in an Emoticons 101 course. whistling.gif

Otherwise your ambiguity invites negative reactions such as you've experienced. jap.gif

to understand sarcasm i would suggest possessing intelligence and a sense of humour.

Reliance on emoticons suggests the absence of both.

Did Jonathan Swift feel the need intersperse smilies throughout A Modest Proposal? i think not

Its the negative reactions to a straight interpretation that are the icing on the cake (figuratively speaking).

Literally, they are the additional benefit that we might not have expected. So I suppose, they are different from icing on the cake, which generally gives visual appeal, but is often disappointing in the eating.

Perhaps, the sixpence in the pudding might be a better metaphor...

Perhaps Jonathan Swift's font selection did not include smileys; I believe most of his documents were prepared in Cursive Archaic, which was the most modern font available at the time. It did include sufficient capitals, though.

SC