Sin-Sot, With A Twist.

electrozebra

I can't believe the OP is serious!

I just can't get my head around the fact that someone would be willing to pay for their girlfriend or wife!

Unbelievable!

I GARANTEE that the OP would NEVER tell their family back home that they they are paying huge amounts of money for love and sex.

Unbelievable!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in the case of Arnold it will be completely different. he married a woman much richer, more powerful and more educated then he was and is now. In his case he fuc_ked up so in the court system he will be the one thaqt caused the seperation but I do not think his wife will ask for anything in return

In the West, even a rich woman will get huge parts of a man's assets:

HOLLYWOOD, CA (Hollywood Today) 5/20/11 – Arnold Schwarzenegger has terminated his film and TV schedule that included five projects that could have earned him over $100 million.

On the negative side of his cash flow is that most of the money could go to Maria Shriver, who has hired a shark of a divorce lawyer. She could get a settlement of between $200 and $400 million, according to KNBC. They will work it out in mediation to avoid a media-circus court trial.

This is the Western way of Sin Sod. Even if you are not Arnie, you will be fleeced if you are a man.

Keep this in mind when you haggle a few thousand Baht your Thai GF wants. It is nothing compared to a Western divorce.

(and 50-60% of Western women will some day divorce)

Indeed.....However does not mean you should justify being fleeced because it is "Cheaper" here. If anything you should have learned something.

Post a picture of the MIL, a list of her assets and required sin sot.

The MIL seems to be the only one with any sense out of the three of you.

Yups, totally agree.

Tongues are wagging that daughter is spreading her legs for a farang for so many years and still not married, MIL is losing face big time regardless of what the daughter have gained in monetary terms throughout the relationship hence the demand of sin sod by both. MIL just wants to get this over with while daughter is trying to get some cash out of everything. In the end, i won't be surprised if the daughter is the actual gold digger and not the MIL.

Mate, If I were you I wouldn't give them a penny, let them be mad. You wouldn't give your money to any other arsehol_e just to keep them happy would you?

Your girlfriend should support your decision. If not, well then seriously mate, it is not worth the hastle and money you will have to waste on a fake relationship.

Life is too short to be filled with unnecessary drama.

Mate, If I were you I wouldn't give them a penny, let them be mad. You wouldn't give your money to any other arsehol_e just to keep them happy would you?

Your girlfriend should support your decision. If not, well then seriously mate, it is not worth the hastle and money you will have to waste on a fake relationship.

Life is too short to be filled with unnecessary drama.

Very true. :)

Sin sod is a Thai custom - not a farang one.

Why should the farang do things the Thai way.? If the daughter wants to marry a farang, and enjoy all the financial benefits that usually go with it, then she must do it the farang way. Now if he were to be the beneficiary of the marriage then things might be different.

NO SIN SOD!

I am still trying to digest what the OP has wrote, without spitting the remainDer of my coffee all over the keyboard. This is either one of the most ridiculous true stories on Thai Visa, or a total windup. If it is the former, then the OP should run like hell.

your lady is second hand goods

So any lady who has kids is 'second hand goods' wow what a catch you are.

Where sin sod is concerned yes, and thats the subject, NOOOOOOOO disrespect to any lady with kids or just previously married, BUT the '' family '' know that no financial demands are forced on a guy who will take a lady and her kids on, period. ;)

Can`t understand why so many farangs marry when they come here....puzzles me.

If you fit together well, no need for a paper chase .....been with my beloved for some time now...4 years

No house built, all items in my name (only a honda click) which was a present from me to her.

No money to her family, weekly, monthly or one time lumps...

Told her from the outset, no kids, wont be getting married, therefore no sin sod.....

Yes i feed her, buy her clothes, take her out and all that....but no money to her or her family.......(no kids)

She was working in a 7-11, but next month she starts her new course at the local Uni, and before you ask, she got credit for the course from the Uni...she wouldn`t or didn`t ask me to pay..

So, in a nutshell get yourself out OR tell them no....yes i understand some can play the long game, if they do and for very little, it means to me that after that yes the will be rewarded.....good luck

She's certainly hit the jackpot with you rizla.

The Honda click must have been a winner :D

Sounds a bit dodgy this story.

I am also a bit allergic to this sinsod re grown up previously married lasses with children.

Still, would be interesting to know what SIZE sinsod the mother in law would expect.

I think I read recently that there were 12 million abortions of girl babies in India primarily because of the reverse sinsot, dowry traditions there. I would hate to think of what would happen to girl babies in Thailand if they had to pay money to marry a man.

Borrow (assuming you don't have it) a decent sum for face. Plenty of folks will loan it to you for a day (shrink wrapped with a nice ribbon tied around it) for 1%. The bumpkins get face like they (note that I say they and not she...) are marrying into wealth and the "lucky" groom to be is only out 15-20k (if he can manage to find an Aeon atm nearby).

:)

Can`t understand why so many farangs marry when they come here....puzzles me.

If you fit together well, no need for a paper chase .....been with my beloved for some time now...4 years

No house built, all items in my name (only a honda click) which was a present from me to her.

No money to her family, weekly, monthly or one time lumps...

Told her from the outset, no kids, wont be getting married, therefore no sin sod.....

Yes i feed her, buy her clothes, take her out and all that....but no money to her or her family.......(no kids)

She was working in a 7-11, but next month she starts her new course at the local Uni, and before you ask, she got credit for the course from the Uni...she wouldn`t or didn`t ask me to pay..

So, in a nutshell get yourself out OR tell them no....yes i understand some can play the long game, if they do and for very little, it means to me that after that yes they will be rewarded.....good luck

She's certainly hit the jackpot with you rizla.

The Honda click must have been a winner :D

That`s what i keep telling her......so far so good :coffee1:

Where sin sod is concerned yes, and thats the subject, NOOOOOOOO disrespect to any lady with kids or just previously married, BUT the '' family '' know that no financial demands are forced on a guy who will take a lady and her kids on, period. ;)

So Second Hand Goods', is not meant to be disrespectful?

So Second Hand Goods', is not meant to be disrespectful?

OOPs..I am guilty of using that term but I certainly didnt mean any disrespect, so sorry if it ofended. :(

The phrase is probably a bit more commonly used in Austrlalia and is sometimes considered as slang i would think.

But that again we can be an uncouth mob of louts :lol:

True. A Thai would never be asked for sin sot if marrying a divorcee with children. This only happens to us falangs.

Edited by Millard

Dude no offence but you say she's from a well off family but to be honest it doesnt sound like it, are you sure youre not getting conned....????

Most wealthy Thai families wont ever ask for anything like that, that would be a much bigger loss of face.

You sound like you dont even love her anyway, grab your balls and walk away

OOPs..I am guilty of using that term but I certainly didnt mean any disrespect, so sorry if it ofended. :(

Calling someone 'second hand goods' and you didn't mean any disrespect, did you mean it as a compliment? And you didn't offend me, but you probably offended the more intelligent of the antipodean folks on this forum.

Here's something from the net :

Traditionally, what might be called a dowry is paid by the groom to the bride’s family. The groom is in effect ‘paying for the mother’s milk’ or the upbringing of his bride. If the bride has had a good upbringing then the amount of sinsod will be higher. If the bride has not been married before, has no children, is well-educated, has a good career and stable family life, then this will be reflected in the amount of sinsod asked for. It also goes to show that the groom is financially capable of looking after his wife and indeed, his wife’s family if needs be. It is important to stress how crucial the concept of family is in Thai life. If you are marrying a Thai, you are also marrying in to that person’s family and everything that may entail. It’s impossible to say how much is the right price to pay for sinsod because there are so many variables involved. Some Thai families may see their daughter marrying a foreigner as the equivalent of winning the lottery. Despite the fact that the groom may not be a rich man in his home country, he will be deemed to be a rich man in Thailand and a vast amount may be asked for. By contrast, some Thai families may appreciate that the prospective son-in-law comes from a different culture and may not ask for sinsod in return for a solemn promise to take care of their daughter. In some cases sinsod is accepted by the bride’s parents and is given back the following day as a wedding present to the newlyweds.

It can be quite a thorny issue for Western men marrying Thai women, but it should be understood that if you are marrying in Thailand it is something you will very likely have to come to terms with. If you are considering marriage to a Thai national you should already be aware that Thai culture is very different and should not feel insulted if asked for sinsod. One thing that many Thai grooms do is to pay the sinsod in small denominations (i.e. 100 Baht notes) so that the amount on show looks even more impressive when it is spread out.

The most important aspect is ‘face’. This can’t be stressed enough. Keep your cool and liaise with your wife-to-be and her family to reach a mutually agreeable amount. Sometimes the amount paid in sinsod will be returned by the bride’s family to the wedding couple. By having a large amount of sinsod paid, the Thai family don’t lose face with their friends and peers. It might not be important to you what other people think of you, but it matters to Thai people and that should never be forgotten in any aspect of Thai culture

Here's something from the net :

Traditionally, what might be called a dowry is paid by the groom to the bride's family. The groom is in effect 'paying for the mother's milk' or the upbringing of his bride.

Dowry

Money paid to a man for taking a useless item, a woman, off a family.

Nothing to do with a man paying for a wife. That would be called a 'bride price'