Validity Period Needed On Us Passport For Non-Imm O Visa

Howdy.... I want to apply for a non-immigrant O visa based on having a thai wife/child. My US passport now has 1 year and 2 weeks of validity left.

Is it possible to apply for a non-imm O visa with this validity period? I tried calling the thai consulate serving my region by they haven't been in the mood to answer the telephone across numerous attempts. Not sure what is going on there.

Since the visa is usually valid for 1 year, and each entry would allow one into thailand for 3 months, it would be theoretically possible to enter at the end of the validity period and have passport expire while in thailand. Is this a reason to deny the application?

Or could they issue a visa with only 9 months of validity perhaps?

Thanks for any advice.

I might just go in and ask in person, but I'm pretty far from the consulate, it's a major trip.

OK They answered the phone this afternoon. They said as long as the pp has > 6 months validity they can issue the visa. I'm not sure if I believe them. I feel like I may get a different answer when I actually go in and apply.

Anyone have experience with this?

Anyway, I'll give it a go and see what happens....

OK They answered the phone this afternoon. They said as long as the pp has > 6 months validity they can issue the visa. I'm not sure if I believe them. I feel like I may get a different answer when I actually go in and apply.

Anyone have experience with this?

Anyway, I'll give it a go and see what happens....

I did an extension of stay in 2008 and only had 7 or 8 months left on my passport. I explained that I can not get a renewed passport until I have less than 6 months left on my passport. Immigration gave me the extension and told me to bring in the new passport when it gets renewed and he will transfer the stamps.

When the new passport was issued I did as instructed and it was a painless 30 to 45 minutes and everyone was happy, me especially Grin

You might be able to get the multiple, but will have to get a new passport within 6 months as for entry into Thailand you will need a passport validity of at least 6 months. You can keep using the old passport together with the new passport as long as the visa is valid.

Back in 2008 I had a multi-entry non-O issued on a UK passport with 8 months validity. Got my new passport a few months later - they transfer your latest entry stamp (permitted to stay date), but not the visa. For the next 9 months or so I just showed both passports when re-entering the country.