Legal Music Downloads

sabaijai

I'm interested in downloading music legally, ie, paying per song or else subscribing to an all-you-can-download monthly service such as Napster. In fact I downloaded Napster a few minutes ago, only to find, when I tried to download some tunes, that it's not valid for residents of Thailand.

Rhapsody.com had the same problem

Does anyone know of another service - other than iTunes, I'm on Windows and want to use a Creative Micro Zen for storage - like Napster that can be used in Thailand?

I think you have a loads of spare money to waste in today's world of free music downloads. :o Well what else I can say,If you have loads of cash to burn,there are plenty and loads of websites offering them,just google it and u will get loads of results.

I don't think you need to have an ipod to download itunes. JKust install the iTunes jukebox to get the files and then transfer them to whatever player you like.

I looked through iTunes' site and found no restrictions on downloading to Thailand, however I found this interesting tidbit;

ENHANCED PROLIFERATION CONTROL INITIATIVE (EPCI)

It's prohibited to allow certain countries to use Apple products in the design, development, production or use of nuclear, missiles, and chemical and biological weapons and technology without proper authorization from the U.S. Government. This applies to all countries, EXCEPT Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy (includes San Marino and Holy See), Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and United Kingdom.

Seems if Luxumbourg ever got a hold of some uranium and an ipod, there'll be no stopping them. :o

cv

I tried iTunes for awhile but didn't like the way it kept trying to force me to play their files - and everyone else's - using iTunes software, rather than my preference, Windows Media Player. Napster looks great, wish it worked here.

I'd rather stay legal, so if the Russian site is pirated music, no thanks. I live on royalties myself and I know what it's like to see one's work pirated.

I tried iTunes for awhile but didn't like the way it kept trying to force me to play their files - and everyone else's - using iTunes software, rather than my preference, Windows Media Player. Napster looks great, wish it worked here.

I'd rather stay legal, so if the Russian site is pirated music, no thanks. I live on royalties myself and I know what it's like to see one's work pirated.

Depends on your definition of pirated.. Russia has different copyright laws to your home country.. Copyright does not ensure total ownership once released to the public domain and the fact is some countries copyright laws are different from others.

Its paying some royalties to the government... Its a legal service.. It is exactly the same as buying a phsyical CD in a CD store in russia.

Depends on your definition of pirated.. Russia has different copyright laws to your home country.. Copyright does not ensure total ownership once released to the public domain and the fact is some countries copyright laws are different from others.

Its paying some royalties to the government... Its a legal service.. It is exactly the same as buying a phsyical CD in a CD store in russia.

Russia is a signatory to 16 different intellectual property conventions, including the presiding Berne Convention. Here's a list:

Russia's participation in international copyright agreements

I don't know exactly what's going on at the website, maybe it's legal but at any rate I couldn't get it to work. It searched for one very common song all night long without finding it!

I'll give musicmatch a shot.

For a complete list of countries who have agreed to the Berne Convention (very few haven't; the USA initially refused but eventually gave in), see:

Berne signatories

"The Berne Convention (Switzerland) for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, sometimes called the Berne Union or Berne Convention, adopted at Berne in 1886, first established the recognition of copyrights between sovereign nations. It was developed at the instigation of Victor Hugo. Prior to the adoption of the Berne Convention, nations would often refuse to recognize the works of foreign nationals as copyrighted. Thus, for instance, a work published in London by a British national would be protected by copyright in the United Kingdom, but freely reproducible by France; likewise, a work published in Paris by a French national would be protected by copyright in France, but freely reproducible in the United Kingdom.

"The Berne Convention provided that each contracting state (SA 1928) would recognize as copyrighted works created by nationals of other contracting states. Copyright under the Berne Convention is automatic: no registration is required.

The Berne Convention provided for a minimum term of copyright protection of the life of the author plus fifty years, but parties were free to provide longer terms of copyright protection, as the European Union did with the 1993 Directive on harmonising the term of copyright protection. The United States has for many years extending its copyright terms."

Wikipedia on Berne

I won some free Itunes in a contest and could not download them (using itunes software), got a message that the service wasn't avaiable here. Most of these services are not available in Thailand it seems

The Musicmatch Jukebox site says "Please note: Musicmatch On Demand is currently available to U.S. residents only ... "

Odd - I've ordered before in europe.

How about yahoo music or amazon?

I checked into Yahoo but they're US only as well.

cv

I don't know exactly what's going on at the website, maybe it's legal but at any rate I couldn't get it to work.
All the materials in the MediaServices projects are available for distribution through Internet according to license # LS-3М-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license terms, MediaServices pays license fees for all the materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All the materials are available solely for personal use and must not be used for further distribution, resale or broadcasting.

This site has the full precise legal breakdown..

http://museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm

Like it or not its a legal site and service and can be used anywhere legally.

I have used it in the past as it provides Losslessly encoded downloads.

ohh and before anyone starts to criticise countries like Russia for not making artist payments cross border perhsp the follwoing would be of interest.

However, The Times newspaper repors yesterday that the non-payment of royalties is much close to home

"Meanwhile, British songwriters are losing millions of pounds in royalties because the US is in dispute with the European Commission over copyright payments. America will not pay European composers for music played in bars, clubs and restaurants and on the radio despite World Trade Organisation obligations. "

The Musicmatch Jukebox site says "Please note: Musicmatch On Demand is currently available to U.S. residents only ... "

Odd - I've ordered before in europe.

How about yahoo music or amazon?

I checked into Yahoo but they're US only as well.

cv

Napster? :o

Subscription to Napster is also limited to US residents.

Russia is a signatory to 16 different intellectual property conventions, including the presiding Berne Convention. Here's a list:

Russia's participation in international copyright agreements

I don't know exactly what's going on at the website, maybe it's legal but at any rate I couldn't get it to work. It searched for one very common song all night long without finding it!

I'll give musicmatch a shot.

For a complete list of countries who have agreed to the Berne Convention (very few haven't; the USA initially refused but eventually gave in), see:

Berne signatories

"The Berne Convention (Switzerland) for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, sometimes called the Berne Union or Berne Convention, adopted at Berne in 1886, first established the recognition of copyrights between sovereign nations. It was developed at the instigation of Victor Hugo. Prior to the adoption of the Berne Convention, nations would often refuse to recognize the works of foreign nationals as copyrighted. Thus, for instance, a work published in London by a British national would be protected by copyright in the United Kingdom, but freely reproducible by France; likewise, a work published in Paris by a French national would be protected by copyright in France, but freely reproducible in the United Kingdom.

"The Berne Convention provided that each contracting state (SA 1928) would recognize as copyrighted works created by nationals of other contracting states. Copyright under the Berne Convention is automatic: no registration is required.

The Berne Convention provided for a minimum term of copyright protection of the life of the author plus fifty years, but parties were free to provide longer terms of copyright protection, as the European Union did with the 1993 Directive on harmonising the term of copyright protection. The United States has for many years extending its copyright terms."

Wikipedia on Berne

what is the song that you want??