Thailand Deports 5 Pregnant Vietnamese Surrogate Mothers And 5 Babies

webfact

The are only a couple of ways to get Thai nationality via birth. None of which you mentioned:

1)Be born to a Thai parent - either inside or outside the Kingdom is fine

2) Being born to foreign parents, both of whom hold permanent residency

3) Be born on Thai soil before 1971 - generally regardless of parents nationality

4) Be born in Thailand after 1971 and before 1992 to foreign parents and continue to have strong links to Thailand.

Of course, if the Parents don't officially have any nationality then this does not apply. <_<

so what are you saying? That children born to stateless people are automatically granted Thai citizenship? I don't think so. A bunch of stateless children up in the border regions would beg to differ....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The are only a couple of ways to get Thai nationality via birth. None of which you mentioned:

3) Be born on Thai soil before 1971 - generally regardless of parents nationality

4) Be born in Thailand after 1971 and before 1992 to foreign parents and continue to have strong links to Thailand.

Of course, if the Parents don't officially have any nationality then this does not apply. <_<

so what are you saying? That children born to stateless people are automatically granted Thai citizenship? I don't think so. A bunch of stateless children up in the border regions would beg to differ....

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

The laws does not apply for them. :(

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

The laws does not apply for them. :(

Respectfully, I suspect that is incorrect....

Good work on behalf of the thai authorities.Not like in the western countries where they would be given everything free and the babies granted automatic citizenship.Also,the mother would be given bundles of aid from welfare and childerns aid,all compliments of the taxpayers.I agree 100% with the thai immigration on this one.Well done and i wish our government's in the west would do the same and not worry about being politically correct or branded as racist.

Good work on behalf of the thai authorities.Not like in the western countries where they would be given everything free and the babies granted automatic citizenship.Also,the mother would be given bundles of aid from welfare and childerns aid,all compliments of the taxpayers.I agree 100% with the thai immigration on this one.Well done and i wish our government's in the west would do the same and not worry about being politically correct or branded as racist.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

About the only western country these days which grants automatic citizenship by being born there is the US. Just about every other country requires at least one parent to be a citizen or a permanent resident.

You also forget that Thailand actually pulls more of its fair share in providing refuge to thousands of Burmese refugees in the border areas. It ain't prefect, but Thailand helps out as well on that front...

They were probably deported for working without a work permit in a job that is classified as restricted to Thai's. Get paid B100,000 for a year's work, housing allowance, lie around and do nothing for a year. Yes many Thai ladies want that job.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't you know anything.

Only foreigners have sex in Thailand. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can't believe no one remembers when this came through before, lots of articles in regular media as well as on the intertubes.

The original web site is still there

http://www.baby-1001.com/eng/about.htm

even thought it's supposed to be blocked.

Here are a couple of more links I found in two minutes googling:

http://www.eggdonor.com/blog/2011/05/06/thailand-legalizing-commerical-surrogacy/

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2011/04/30/2003502026

The term "human trafficking" is used for many activities not originally intended. My understanding is in this case the business were up front with the surrogate mothers about the terms and conditions and they were there voluntarily - albeit many feel that economic need is a type of coercion.

When done commercially - that is, for profit as a full-fledged business, there are very few places in the world that fully allow this - no place in SE Asia, and I bet even in India it's a bit of a "gray area" although very common.

I think it'd be a real shame if the women and their babies are treated as criminals on their return to Vietnam, a bit hard-hearted to just say "well they knew they were breaking the law."

In my opinion it should be legal so it can be well-regulated, and full-fledged commercial operations discouraged, as opposed to non-profits connecting the customers to the surrogates, allowing most of the fees to be kept by the woman carrying the baby rather than as profits to the middleman.

But I think this possibility would only exist where rule of law was well-established and women's rights well respected.

Even then I'm not sure - should someone be allowed to sell their "extra" kidney?

They were probably deported for working without a work permit in a job that is classified as restricted to Thai's. Get paid B100,000 for a year's work, housing allowance, lie around and do nothing for a year. Yes many Thai ladies want that job.

Many have that job.annoyed.gif

About the only western country these days which grants automatic citizenship by being born there is the US. Just about every other country requires at least one parent to be a citizen or a permanent resident.

You also forget that Thailand actually pulls more of its fair share in providing refuge to thousands of Burmese refugees in the border areas. It ain't prefect, but Thailand helps out as well on that front...

The difference in these posts illustrates that some folks use ignorance to fuel their hatred.

I worked with immigrants in the US for 10 years and believe me the government is not in the habit of giving "everything" free. Growing up on welfare as a poor immigrant is US is nothing to envy.

Immigrants add value to their host countries and are not the cause of "what is wrong". In most every instance in history, blaming immigrants has led to bad people doing bad things. Freedom of movement and freedom for work are respectful human rights that need to be upheld.

Samran, you did an excellent job in making some correct observation instead of clinging on to whatever once heard that help perpetuate misplaced anger.

Edited by wlcart

I tought if you where born in Thailand you are Thai citizen and get nationality regardless if the mothers entered the Kingdom illegally

And Issara said illegal surrogate mothers faced tougher punishment in Vietnam compared to Thailand.

The beautiful and human Thailand (Land of Smiles) when you come for a 2 week holiday and use at least 300 000 baht

The sad thing is that Thailand isn't following most other countries' laws. Being born in Thailand doesn't make anybody automatically to a Thai national.

What a joke...................:jap:

This is an insult... You dont get babies by 'lie around and do nothing for a year'... 'Many Thai ladies do more for less'...:D ( This is meant as a compliment, by the way, no derogation intended)

B100,000 for a year is considered very good income for many in Thailand. Many Thai women do a lot more for a lot less for sure.

men who claim they had fathered the babies are unable to provide evidence and take custody of the children.

:whistling: A simple DNA test takes about 2 hours... :ermm:

you may be the genetic father, but according to thai law, parental power of a child born outside marriage is exclusive of the mother, unless she agree to share or cease it.

on the other hand, you can't be forced to $upport a baby that is born outside marriage, if you don't want to...

now, if you were a thai male on duty to legislate about this matter, would you change something of this law?

:whistling:

Thats why so many Thai men run away when they get a gf pregnant... responsibility then lies with the girl, her family or some Farang that feels sorry for her.... TIT

The UK does exactly the same and hands out thousands in benefits to those who dont qualify for a cent.... meanwhile real Brits get taxed out of sight to pay for it ....

The UK does exactly the same and hands out thousands in benefits to those who dont qualify for a cent.... meanwhile real Brits get taxed out of sight to pay for it ....

I was talking about citizenship laws and Thailand's situation dealing with Burmese refugees.

Sorry, don't get into debates with rednecks about supposed welfare rorts elsewhere. I have enough trouble convincing my 5 year old of anything. I don't need to be wasting my time debating with adults with the intelligence and analytical ability of a 5 year old.

Oh dear, I think I've just insulted my 5 year old daughter with that one. She's smarter than you.

Is this the only problem of the government? Surrogate mothers from Vietnam? I clue yawhistling.gif

I clue ya. It is only an article that was presented in this forum and by the way are you the kinduv guy that would not address this problem? Hmm :whistling:

I tought if you where born in Thailand you are Thai citizen and get nationality regardless if the mothers entered the Kingdom illegally

And Issara said illegal surrogate mothers faced tougher punishment in Vietnam compared to Thailand.

The beautiful and human Thailand (Land of Smiles) when you come for a 2 week holiday and use at least 300 000 baht

This isn't the US.

Tourists that go here and have a baby born is NOT entitled to a citizenship for their kid.

""He's Taiwanese and his name is Lao Pan,"" Wasn't that the name of the evil boss in the classic John Carpenter flick "Big Trouble in Little China"? Wanted to marry a green eyed girl and gain immortality?

I thought if you where born in Thailand you are Thai citizen and get nationality regardless if the mothers entered the Kingdom illegally

I had a friend that has two children and was unable to get birth certificates for her children here. It is really sad because we allow them dual citizenship in our countries. Just another example of Thai greed.

I thought if you where born in Thailand you are Thai citizen and get nationality regardless if the mothers entered the Kingdom illegally

I had a friend that has two children and was unable to get birth certificates for her children here. It is really sad because we allow them dual citizenship in our countries. Just another example of Thai greed.

Thai greed? Me thinks this is just another excuse to have a bit of a 'Thai bash' over something you know nothing about.

Thailands natioanlity laws are pretty standard. Show me a western country - apart fromt the US - which give citizenship to people born there if neither of the parents have citizenship or PR? None.

Thailand allows dual citizenship, and is quite liberal about it.

Edited by samran

Thai greed? Me thinks this is just another excuse to have a bit of a 'Thai bash' over something you know nothing about.

Thailands natioanlity laws are pretty standard. Show me a western country - apart fromt the US - which give citizenship to people born there if neither of the parents have citizenship or PR? None.

Thailand allows dual citizenship, and is quite liberal about it.

Not absolutely sure but I think the UK does. It's not automatic anymore but there have to be good reasons for refusing it. Also I think some countries won't accept the children of deported parents so sometimes they have to stay.

You don't say why your friend was unable to obtain birth certificates. Also how does denial of a birth certificate equate to 'Thai greed'? Curious.