Gay Activists Call For Same-Sex Marriage Law In Thailand

webfact

Gay activists call for same-sex marriage law

By The Nation

Rights activists for the so-called "third sex" - gays, lesbians and transsexuals - have urged political parties to allow a same-sex marriage law.

Natee Teerarojjanapongs, president of the Sexual Diversity Group and the Gay Political Group of Thailand, and transsexual singer known as Jim Sarah (Sujinrat Prachathai) said yesterday they would visit the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties today to submit a letter asking them to issue such a law for the "third gender" if they lead the next government.

Natee claimed 10 per cent or around four million voters were "third sex".

"We've not seen any policies set up for us although we are also voters," he said.

Their groups will seek commitments from the parties and say they will reward promises of action by campaigning for votes among their supporters.

Jim, who is recognised as a woman in New Zealand but not in Thailand, said 14 countries around the world had same-sex marriage laws, while almost 30 countries had a partner or union law. The laws helped same-sex couples to live together legally.

"Although we have lived together like a husband and wife for 17 years, we cannot decide anything legally for each other. For example, if I need to have an urgent operation, my partner cannot sign to allow surgeons to do the operation for me because we're not a legal couple," Natee said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-31

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The irony of this is that if they were to make equal partners with equal rights in a gay marriage, this would probably mean that gay people would have stronger marriage rights than women.

Please qualify your statement with something more reliable than "probable." There is so much misinformation pronounced in this area that we don't need any more. If you can't back up feelings and hunches with anything substantial, please don't say anything. Just how would same sex marriage give gay people more rights than women? Ridiculous!

• Like 1

But would these marriages pay sin sod too ?

Why not pay Sin Sod.....cant have discrimination can we

We do. Maybe not as formally as a straight marriage - but when a foreigner gets married in a 'committment ceremony' in Issan, we often pay a fair bit of sin sod.

Peter

I totally agree with this comment, so true! I wonder if Thailand will go as far as Australia regarding what happens when a gay relationship ends? Recently a friend of mine was taken to The Family Court by his Asian partner when the relationship ended due to the infidelity of the younger man. It cost a large amount of money to settle it. Equal rights can lead to a number of problems as well.

Natee claimed 10 per cent or around four million voters were "third sex".

Give me a break...a third sex? People can come up with the wildest things to justify their own fantasy. There is no third sex.

The irony of this is that if they were to make equal partners with equal rights in a gay marriage, this would probably mean that gay people would have stronger marriage rights than women.

Please qualify your statement with something more reliable than "probable." There is so much misinformation pronounced in this area that we don't need any more. If you can't back up feelings and hunches with anything substantial, please don't say anything. Just how would same sex marriage give gay people more rights than women? Ridiculous!

Look at the marriage law, it can hardly be said that under the current system women in marriage have the same rights as men. The dual sex law is essentially unequal in rights, so it would be interesting to see how they would reconcile equality in a same sex marriage.

I think the issue with gay "marriage" has to do with the issue of legal rights. Marriage allows the "legal" partner to make important decisions if the other is taken ill, it imparts some pension and health insurance rights as well. It's somewhat ridiculous that a gay couple that's been living together for 20 years or more is not considered to have a relationship where one can make critical care decisions for the other. It's like telling Mr. & Mrs. Wingnut hetrosexual couple that should Mr. Nut be in need of critical medical care, Mrs. Wing wouldn't be allowed to take the decision, and that she would need to go call Mr. Nut's 95 year old senile mum in Dorset or his psychotic brother in the Brixton jail for permission. If some guy wants to take responsibility for his partner good for him. Responsible behaviour should be encouraged, not discouraged.

Oh good grief! Third sex? If you're in doubt of which of the TWO sexes you are, please take a look inside your underware for confirmation. This same sex marriage thing is just like a little kid seeing another kid with something they don't have. They really don't need it, it won't be of any good use and could be harmful, but because someone else has it, they want it too. With a little over 50% of the marriages in most parts of the world ending in divorce, following by spouse support, child support etc. etc., be careful in what you wish for. A ceremony and a piece of paper do not strengthen a relationship of any kind. So many of us sing the praises of being individuals and unique, but then rush to fall in line with the rest of the flock. Strengthen your "same sex" relationships with love, honesty and openess and leave the government out of it.

Why not a compromise here? Some states in America enacted "Domestic Partner" laws. These enable same-sex couples to enjoy the same legal rights as a "married" couple without a formal marriage. Still, many gays there insist on being legally married. It seems almost an obsession with some of them. I see no compelling reason to change this tradition from all countries for centuries.

I think that thailand, a country with a big gay population, needs this law, it seems very fair to me to allow gay couples to have the same rights than hetero couples, and not only fair but necessary but i think that noone will pass such a law in the near future, we must to remember that we are living in an almost puritane society, if they sensor cigarets,alcohol and women's boobs in the films how can we expect that they will allow same-sex marriage???

The offer to assist a political party prior to the election may be quite an incentive for whichever party accepts the offer. However, being the LOS, I could envision a political party making the promise to support merely to secure the votes, then reneging.

Oh good grief! Third sex? If you're in doubt of which of the TWO sexes you are, please take a look inside your underware for confirmation. This same sex marriage thing is just like a little kid seeing another kid with something they don't have. They really don't need it, it won't be of any good use and could be harmful, but because someone else has it, they want it too. With a little over 50% of the marriages in most parts of the world ending in divorce, following by spouse support, child support etc. etc., be careful in what you wish for. A ceremony and a piece of paper do not strengthen a relationship of any kind. So many of us sing the praises of being individuals and unique, but then rush to fall in line with the rest of the flock. Strengthen your "same sex" relationships with love, honesty and openess and leave the government out of it.

You simply don't understand, do you? Gay couples certainly strengthen their relationships with love, honesty and openness... but we want the legal bond to give us civil rights the same as ordinary marriages. Personally I think the use of the term 'third sex' is a distraction... but they have to use some term to include lesbians and transsexuals.

There have been rare cases, where foreigners travel to Thailand to buy 'entertainment'. Are these people considered 'third sex' are they indeed 'buy sexual'?:bah:

Edited by Gers1873

I think you are very short-sighted.

A bit naive and foolish to think it's only about having a "love thing"

I don't know the Thai law enough, but the main reason to get the sam sex marriage in Europe was to get legally recognised as a couple for "practical" reasons: e.g.: Inheritance, dicision making when the partner is unable (like for surgery), insurance contracts, buying a house together,.............................................. and so on.

We're talking about 2 Thai nationals here,.... the Farang-Thai relation/marriage is another issue.

You simply don't understand, do you? Gay couples certainly strengthen their relationships with love, honesty and openness... but we want the legal bond to give us civil rights the same as ordinary marriages. Personally I think the use of the term 'third sex' is a distraction... but they have to use some term to include lesbians and transsexuals.

In the Dutch language the term HoLeBi is widely used and accepted,.... would'nt that fit the English language too? Just a little suggestion. I'm Gay and think the term "Third Sex" sounds rather awkward too.

I support equal marriage rights in Thailand ENTHUSIASTICALLY!

I certainly hope if that happens that foreign spouses of gay Thais will also be treated the same as our hetero brothers for IMMIGRATION purposes.

It's great to hear THAI voices in support of equal marriage rights in Thailand. This is the beginning; it CAN happen. Of course, it will likely take many years, but it is certainly possible. It would be good for Thailand in so many ways, including tourism.

BTW, domestic partners (and even gay married in their home state not recognized in most states or by the federal government) in the US by no stretch of the imagination have the same rights as married couples. Anyone who asserts that needs to make better friends with google. I personally won't even waste time debating people who express that level of ignorance.

Also, in my view, if a Thai gay activist chooses to use the phrase third sex as this one did in a way that most westerners would find odd and foreign, I sincerely don't think it is our place to direct Thai gay activists how to label and define their perceived Thai constituency. Of course we may want to talk about it but I really think such a discussion is extremely TANGENTIAL to the core point of this topic, a Thai voice for equal marriage rights in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

The activists have a quite interesting approach on what "third sex" could actually mean or means for them. Or is it just the article who mixed it all up?

OMG, really, why focus on that part of this story? Equal marriage rights means ANY two adults who choose to enter into marriage with their free will may do so in Thailand. Now it is only hetero pairs. Sexual minorities want and DESERVE completely equal treatment under the law in ALL nations.

Why not a compromise here? Some states in America enacted "Domestic Partner" laws. These enable same-sex couples to enjoy the same legal rights as a "married" couple without a formal marriage. Still, many gays there insist on being legally married. It seems almost an obsession with some of them. I see no compelling reason to change this tradition from all countries for centuries.

Good grief. In the USA the issue is that some states recognize civil unions and others do not. The US Federal government doesn't recognize them. The problem that arises is that if a couple is civil unioned in Deleware and take a trip to Alabama, and one falls seriously ill. Alabama law doesn't recognize that the "spouse" has rights to make decisions on behalf of the other. The sick spouse becomes a ward of the state if there is no immediate family member to consult. The USA is characterized by patchwork of inconsistent laws.

Thailand is like some EU countries, where marriage and civil union laws are national government mandated so it is easier to deal with the issue. I don't know what the big concern is. There isn't one country that has enacted legislation to allow same sex unions that has turned into Sodom and Gomorrah. What they have however achieved is ensuring that people do not become a burden to the state.

I certainly hope if that happens that foreign spouses of gay Thais will also be treated the same as our hetero brothers for IMMIGRATION purposes.

If you are married with a Thai man it can be easier with visa requirements or to get Thai citizenship than it is in the case when you are married with a Thai woman.

Edited by samurai

If you are married with a Thai man it can be easier with visa requirements or to get Thai citizenship than it is in the case when you are married with a Thai woman.

That's a very valid point, but keep in mind gay expats have NO rights in these matters, not limited or different -- NONE.

Women have just as much rights in marriage as men and more. They have the right to 50% of everything owned and if they divorce they get to keep the kids so in fact they have more rights and that's reliable and not "probable" information.

The topic is about SAME SEX marriage, isn't it?

If this topic turns into a discussion about heterosexual marriage in Thailand, isn't that a hijack? You guys don't have enough topics already about heterosexual marriage issues?

Edited by Jingthing

What a stupid statement! It's an equal rights issue. Not allowing gay people to marry is discrimination based on sexual preference. I remind you that mixed race marriages were once illegal and I'll bet you wouldn't say "This mixed race marriage thing is just like a little kid seeing another kid with something they don't have".