Whats It Like In Hua Hin?

alesypalsy

Hello to all whom live in Hua hin,

I have never had the honour of seeing the place, I have passed through a long time ago on my drive from phuket to bangkok but only stayed 20 mins to refresh, could you chaps/ladys please give me a bit of insight into the place, is it like phuket or pattaya? is there night life? What about during the day? It seems more people are going there to avoid the hustle and bustle these days but I dont know as I have never really seen it. Nice beaches there? is it pricey or same as every where else,

Thanks in advance

Hello to all whom live in Hua hin,

I have never had the honour of seeing the place, I have passed through a long time ago on my drive from phuket to bangkok but only stayed 20 mins to refresh, could you chaps/ladys please give me a bit of insight into the place, is it like phuket or pattaya? is there night life? What about during the day? It seems more people are going there to avoid the hustle and bustle these days but I dont know as I have never really seen it. Nice beaches there? is it pricey or same as every where else,

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

I dont live at Hua Hin but have been there and stayed for a while. I loved the place and would be back there again at the drop of a hat ( soon I think )

I found it friendly and easy on the brain, easy to get decent farang food as well.

The beach is long and the water is warm but there are jellyfish at certain times of the year, nasty ones to, I saw some of the scars.

There is info in this forum if you flip back a page or two. Try Cha Am by Davey and many more for sure.Also you can do a google search for Hua Hin nighhtlife or something along those lines.

All the best.

Hua Hin area and Ao Nang are my two fav's in Thailand. Hua Hin comes out on top for it's accessability to Bangkok (since I can get there easily;) and also for it's food, surroundings, people, lifestyle, scenery, golf, etc, etc, etc but mostly for it's absolute charm. No place like it and if you spend a week down there, you may just be hooked like a lot of us :o

Welcome back A and keep us posted on your travels :D

Hua-Hin is MUCH cleaner than Phuket, and seems alot more laid back. There are ample pubs, and nightlife but its quite concentrated and its a fun place to walk around day or night. Prices are higher than up north, but not as bad as Phuket. It also has some great beaches, and the surrounding areas can be very photogenic.

I've found that if you shop around for things there is a wide variation in the prices of most everything, even in places side by side, so make sure you compare prices.

cv

Been to the National Park, has great waterfalls and lots of pools to swim. But don't go if raining the track is 4WD only if so. Hua-Hin itself has great restaurants. Checkout Cha-Am on the way as well as Phetchaburi District. Petchaburi has a Palace on the hill with monkeys a plenty. Great for taking pics.

I can recommend Hotel below I have stayed, great pool for kids.

Hin Nam Sai Suay Hotel Link here (Hua Hin)

Two days ago I came home to Issaan from Hua Hin. I will go back as soon as possible. Wonderful place. This will be the place I will visit in the future.

I travelled by train, third class from Bangkok, Hua Lum Phong railway station. 44 Baht and 5 hours. Back I took a bus with A/C to Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok. 4 hours.

In Hua Hin not too many tourists this time of the year. Nice beach. Much seafood, which was rather expensive for me, who is living in the north - east. A rather good hotelroom with A/C for 400 Baht per night. With only fan 300 Baht.

The railway - station in Hua Hin is very beautiful.

Last time in HH I stayed at Top Mark's hotel, about a block or two from the water. Great rooms, very reasonable prices, friendly bar, and when I very stupidly left a wallet with 12000Bt and $200cdn on the bed when going out for breakfast, we returned to find the room spotlessly clean and not a single satang missing. The cleaner got a very nice tip :o

cv

hua hin is a great little town , it hasnt lost too much of its character to tourism yet , although the area round the hilton hotel and the sofitel are full of gift tat shops and indian tailor shops. concrete buildings are unfortunately replacing the wooden ones.

walking around this area is no fun thanks to the annoying and constant hassling from the tailors pimps.

outside of that area there are still enough streets lined with old wooden houses and old style thai eating places and little workshops to remind you that this is very much thailand.

rickshaws still ply the streets and the area round the station and towards the old market are also pretty much unpolluted by tourist development.

there are a few streets full of ramshackle bars where the local slapperati ply their trade at night , but its all pretty low key compared to bangkok , you can play pool , watch soccer and remain unmolested all night should you choose.

dozens of decent eating places , local food , foriegn food , cheap or expensive , its all there. some good restaurants on the beach out towards the kings palace , crowded out at weekends with thai weekend trippers , but the food is good.

the beach is good , the sea not so , its brownish with sediment and not clear at all , but at low tide the beach north of the town towards cha am is deserted and great for cycling or walking.

estate agents are becoming more prominent as more falangs move into the area , but prices for decent condos and houses are kept high by demand ,especially demand from wealthy thais looking for well run condos.

little in the way of shopping , although the construction of a tesco development with a cinema and other stores is well under way.

plenty to see around here , parks,waterfalls,temples, and being only 2 hours from bangkok it makes an ideal place to live.

how it will develop in the future is unknown , hopefully it wont be allowed to develop into the mess that phuket or samui is in , but as more and more tourists discover it , the rate of change will increase and probably for the worse.

but someone should ban the opening of even one more of those terrible tailor shops with their oily staff and terrible names.

Hua Hin is very different from Pattaya etc. If I'm looking for a laid back time then I'll head for Hua Hin or Cha Am, if I want a lively time I'll whizz through to Pattaya.

Its nice to have the choice!

:o Whizz through? bus from Cha Am to the Monument then BTS to Eckamai then bus to Pattaya where you sit on walking street with a beer watching people enjoying themselves. Check Out 300 baht a night fan room Hotel after 4 days as no friends and watching the money, then get bus to Eckamai to BTS to Monument and back to Cha Am by bus for the last 5 days. Bus from cha Am to monument then taxi to Airport. Pretend to everyone back home you are a jet-setter and you spent loads of money (hiding in Cha Am). Back on this forum and pretend you are an Ex Pat giving out ridiculous info.

Edited by lostsoul

Hua Hin is very different from Pattaya etc. If I'm looking for a laid back time then I'll head for Hua Hin or Cha Am, if I want a lively time I'll whizz through to Pattaya.

:D Whizz through? bus from Cha Am to the Monument then BTS to Eckamai then bus to Pattaya where you sit on walking street with a beer watching people enjoying themselves. Check Out 300 baht a night fan room Hotel after 4 days as no friends and watching the money, then get bus to Eckamai to BTS to Monument and back to Cha Am by bus for the last 5 days. Bus from cha Am to monument then taxi to Airport. Pretend to everyone back home you are a jet-setter and you spent loads of money (hiding in Cha Am). Back on this forum and pretend you are an Ex Pat giving out ridiculous info.

This makes little if any sense. :o

cv

:D Whizz through? bus from Cha Am to the Monument then BTS to Eckamai then bus to Pattaya where you sit on walking street with a beer watching people enjoying themselves. Check Out 300 baht a night fan room Hotel after 4 days as no friends and watching the money, then get bus to Eckamai to BTS to Monument and back to Cha Am by bus for the last 5 days. Bus from cha Am to monument then taxi to Airport. Pretend to everyone back home you are a jet-setter and you spent loads of money (hiding in Cha Am). Back on this forum and pretend you are an Ex Pat giving out ridiculous info.

This makes little if any sense. :D

cv

I agree :o

Here is a tip for Tennis players, bring your own balls.

Last time I was there, could not find a single shop selling them, seems sports shops are focussed on golfers only.

Night life is more expensive than Pattaya or Bangkok with poor selection of ladies available asking ridiculous prices. Out of respect to his majesty who has a residence locally, nighlife is kept to minimum levels.

It is a small place and you will be bored quickly, would not recommend anyone stays for more than 2 or 3 days.

For golfers, there are about 5 courses within easy reach. Be prepared to pay about double the cost you would pay around Pattaya.

In summary, I find it a boring place, expensive compared to Pattaya Jomtien.

However, if your thing is waterfalls, parks, scenery, quiteness, then go to Africa.

Here is a tip for Tennis players, bring your own balls.

Last time I was there, could not find a single shop selling them, seems sports shops are focussed on golfers only.

Night life is more expensive than Pattaya or Bangkok with poor selection of ladies available asking ridiculous prices. Out of respect to his majesty who has a residence locally, nighlife is kept to minimum levels.

It is a small place and you will be bored quickly, would not recommend anyone stays for more than 2 or 3 days.

For golfers, there are about 5 courses within easy reach. Be prepared to pay about double the cost you would pay around Pattaya.

In summary, I find it a boring place, expensive compared to Pattaya Jomtien.

However, if your thing is waterfalls, parks, scenery, quiteness, then go to Africa.

Phew - thats a relief! Lets hope your post keeps the hordes out for the quiet souls that love it.

• 2 months later...

Having worked for a number of years in many parts of Thailand I would have to say that apart from a small percentage of good folks the majority of Pattaya consists of the dumbest of the dumbest, the cheapest of the cheapest, the scum of the scum - both thai and farang.

I am absolutely convinced that the average IQ in Pattaya is between 0 and 0.1.

To those in Pattaya, Hua Hin may be viewed as boring, but to many in Hua Hin, Pattaya is viewed as a filtration system.  :o

cv

Having worked for a number of years in many parts of Thailand I would have to say  that apart from a small percentage of good folks the majority of Pattaya consists of the dumbest of the dumbest, the cheapest of the cheapest, the scum of the scum - both thai and farang.

I am absolutely convinced that the average IQ in Pattaya is between 0 and 0.1.

I'm positively convinced your IQ is -10. :o

walking around this area is no fun thanks to the annoying and constant hassling from the tailors pimps.
You know, I was in HH in 2003 and again a week or so ago and the difference with the tailors was remarkable. Last time they were very much in my face, but this time unless I made specific eye contact they didn't bother me. I was actually dressed better this time too, with tailored shirts from up here in BKK, so you'd figure I'd get more trouble. Has there been some kind of laying down of the law to the insanely aggressive tailor touts? I was there literally on Christmas with all of Scandinavia and they were surprisingly tame. Edited by on-on

I really like the place. I just got back from spending New Year in HH, with my folks who were over from the UK. I think it's got just about the right balance of Thai charm and western facilities. My observation is that it's also kept well regulated by Thai standards, due to the royal connections. I can drive down from BKK in a couple of hours, and there are lots of interesting things to see in the area.

I agree that if you want a more "lively" nightlife scene then Patters is better, but for somewhere to live HH is where I'd rather be (once I've got enough dosh to stop working that is :o )