Price Rises

dandare11

It is ridiculous to open a thread about a 20 baht increase in the price of a tix to the cinema,try to generalise on it and still get confined to just that specific increase.

In the last 6 to 8 weeks price rises in Carrefour and other supermakets have been spectacular,fresh meat counter mince up from 80 Baht a Kg to 149 baht,same with poultry,cereals up by at least 15 Baht ,and so on but the point is that this has happened in less than 2 months,pressure on other basics must be building for imminent increase on bread,milk and so on.

Restaurant prices up suddenly too Seasider seems to have a 20% across the board ,(place seems empty too) other places up 15% or portions smaller. Even if farangs have not noticed it the natives sure will have done and resentment will be being felt in that quarter.

The cost to the govt at the fuel subsidy must be nigh on crippling,I know Thailand was in the red last month and things will get worse ,through further price rises. Time to get the battle bowler on perhaps.

PS the 120 baht Tuesday bowling at villa has finished too

Edited by dandare11

Even Fantasy Bar in Jomtien Complex has recently increased its beer prices by 25%, from 40 Baht to 50 Baht/bottle.

:burp:

A lot of these price increases are opportunistic and are exploiting the belief people have that prices are rising.

There is no way the cost of supplying beer or meats etc have risen to anywhere near the extent of these price rises.

Seek out better value, try to avoid visiting the places that are opportunistically hiking prices like this.

Even Fantasy Bar in Jomtien Complex has recently increased its beer prices by 25%, from 40 Baht to 50 Baht/bottle.

A lot of these price increases are opportunistic and are exploiting the belief people have that prices are rising.

There is no way the cost of supplying beer or meats etc have risen to anywhere near the extent of these price rises.

Seek out better value, try to avoid visiting the places that are opportunistically hiking prices like this.

Fantasy Bar was odd in that it offered liquor at prices just a few baht more than the store price.One theory was that the owner was rich and didn't care. Another was that this was a well-known ploy to get people coming and then jack the prices. But in fairness I remember Chiang being 25 baht at the 7 a few months ago. Now it is 29.

So maybe costs have risen quite a bit.

chicken en beef also are more expensive now.....

Ok...not much and we won't even feel it,

but yes things are getting more expensive also in Thailand.

Lucky Thailand here no euro....when this euro appeared everything got doubled and if we think about that...

Thailand is still the paradise even if we pay 5 bath more then we used to for a chicken or whatever.

peacewhistling.gif

The price of large Leo beer wholesale just went up by 2bt a box 12 bottle's, my local bar said as it's gone up they would have to put their price's up. No problem with that except they put there price for 1 bottle up by 5 bt. 58bt a case more profit, good game A.

The prices are increasing because of a lack of sales generaly.Went to Drinking st last week and i asked the thai owner why heiniken was 85 baht and he said we are not busy so put prices up.What a joke and the girls were horrible too,not wanting to chat or nothing,thats why his bar was empty

The food prices are rising all over the world. And Thailand even seems to be at the tail of this price spike. In Europe prices on groceries and restraunt food have been steadily increasing since last year.

This is a very unfortunate fact for poorer countries (like those in sub-Saharan Africa) because for them 2-5 baht increase is the border between satiation and starvation.

Fantasy Bar was odd in that it offered liquor at prices just a few baht more than the store price.One theory was that the owner was rich and didn't care. Another was that this was a well-known ploy to get people coming and then jack the prices. But in fairness I remember Chiang being 25 baht at the 7 a few months ago. Now it is 29.

So maybe costs have risen quite a bit.

A big bottle of Chang was 34 baht just a few years ago. Now it's 44? 33% inflation in 3 years plus a worse exchange rate. Terrible.

Can anybody tell us where in the world prices have dropped? That would be news worth posting.

It is not food, but real estate prices have plummeted in many places, including parts of the USA. Of course, they should have done the same in Thailand but TIT w00t.gif

An impossible challange for you AWO try for one month not to use the words "Real" & "Estate".......give us all a rest !!!!

Could someone please point me in the direction of a country where prices are not going up?

The way people are talking, inflation seems to be restricted to Thailand.

There has been a lot of flooding in Thailand this year and last. Surely people would have anticipated large increases in the price of produce and meat.

Can anybody tell us where in the world prices have dropped? That would be news worth posting.

It is not food, but real estate prices have plummeted in many places, including parts of the USA. Of course, they should have done the same in Thailand but TIT w00t.gif

Here you go again. After hundred of pages of debate and explanations you still haven't figured it out?

An impossible challange for you AWO try for one month not to use the words "Real" & "Estate".......give us all a rest !!!!

Why does that bother you? Have you been bitten? The fact is that there are very few things that have gotten cheaper. Johnnyk asked for an example. I provided it. "Give us all a rest." You are joking, right? I doubt that pointing out the obvious about a certain market that shall be nameless is causing massive pain to everybody who frequents ThaiVisa. And, for the record, I post on many subjects that have nothing to do with a certain market that shall remain nameless :)

Why does that bother you? Have you been bitten? The fact is that there are very few things that have gotten cheaper. Johnnyk asked for an example. I provided it. "Give us all a rest." You are joking, right? I doubt that pointing out the obvious about a certain market that shall be nameless is causing massive pain to everybody who frequents ThaiVisa. And, for the record, I post on many subjects that have nothing to do with a certain market that shall remain nameless :)

Its always hilarious to see Pattaya property owners get upset when someone mentions property prices falling somewhere.

Anyway, very good point that US property prices have fallen hugely in the past few years and continue to fall now.

And in fact this year property has been falling in Australia and India.

Also, many parts of Europe have seen prices fall and in the UK, away from London, prices have not crashed but have been very soft and certainly a buyers market.

In Pattaya I suspect property has also been falling, but as used property rarely transacts (because the owners are absurdly unrealistic) they won't learn that until they really need to sell and that might be a shock.

Other prices that have been falling for years is anything high tech, computers for example, on a performance for performance basis.

There are probably other examples, but at the moment the cost of living has been increasing mostly due to food and energy rises which have been taken advantage of here in Thailand by retailers and others as an excuse to increase prices disproportionately.

I have first-hand experience of prices that rise and fall by 10% or more on a daily basis.

In one of the restaurants I went to several times this week the price (for the same items: beer, soups, curries, fish) increased by 10B per item when the daughter did the bill, but then dropped by 10B per item whenever the mother did the bill.

On a note closer to real economics, the can of beer that I buy every evening in 7/11 has gone from 35B to 39B in two stages (!) in less than one month. And a cake that I sometimes buy there has gone from 15 to 17B.

I have first-hand experience of prices that rise and fall by 10% or more on a daily basis.

In one of the restaurants I went to several times this week the price (for the same items: beer, soups, curries, fish) increased by 10B per item when the daughter did the bill, but then dropped by 10B per item whenever the mother did the bill.

I've experienced this too, but with a 30% rise and fall.... in one of my favourite Thai restaurants. When the husband cooks the servings are at least 30% larger than when his wife cooks.

not to mention how my favorite place puts 2 eggs in an omelette when the guy is cooking, but when the lady is cooking, she only puts one egg. And sometimes she forgets that slice of lime with my fried rice. Sureley a sign of coming Apocalypse?

not to mention how my favorite place puts 2 eggs in an omelette when the guy is cooking, but when the lady is cooking, she only puts one egg. And sometimes she forgets that slice of lime with my fried rice. Sureley a sign of coming Apocalypse?

Is it even possible to make an omelet with only 1 egg?