Smokers

tesco1

Why is the no smoker ban in bars not enforce and help non smokers because the Public Health Ministry figures show tobacco kills 1.2 million people in Asia and 5.4 millions worldwide every year -

Edited by tesco1

I thought the ban on smoking underwater was already naturally enforced...

OP sounds American, in which case it should be PSI, not bars.

Although in Thailand many bars are real dives.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I thought this is the diving forum not the non smoker fascists forum.

Usually there is no scuba diving in bars. And no smoking under water.

Edited by h90

I think smoking underwater should be the only place it is allowed - but then I'm an ex-smoker. We have no tolerance for the filthy smelly habit.

Thats the usual response by an ex-smoker cos he's craving for a ciggy. :lol:

I think smoking underwater should be the only place it is allowed - but then I'm an ex-smoker. We have no tolerance for the filthy smelly habit.

I am an ex-smoker and I get in some troubles seeing and smelling other people smoking.

But I am grown up enough to see that it is MY problem. I don't blame the smoker for my weakness.

never smoked in my life, fitness freak lol

I was once. :D

I was once. :D

A fitness freak ohmy.gifcool.gif

Actually the craving goes away after about a year. Now after 25 years of not smoking I just wonder why I ever did - or why anyone would want to.

Only after giving it up does the sense of smell return - and the embarrassment that I would have smelt like that - ugghh.

On a serious note as a none smoker I do get annoyed when I have tobacco smoke blowing in my face.

This happens a lot on dive boats, may be a more sensible approach would be for soaking to be only allowed from the stern while the boat is under way.

From my experience the worst offenders are the "professional" divers , and the worst time is dive briefings, the boat is going hell for leather, you are sitting down while half a dozen instructors, DM's and wannabes are standing up front puffing away .sick.gif

On a serious note as a none smoker I do get annoyed when I have tobacco smoke blowing in my face.

This happens a lot on dive boats, may be a more sensible approach would be for soaking to be only allowed from the stern while the boat is under way.

From my experience the worst offenders are the "professional" divers , and the worst time is dive briefings, the boat is going hell for leather, you are sitting down while half a dozen instructors, DM's and wannabes are standing up front puffing away .sick.gif

I rarely saw closed diving boats. Most here are open, so people stay outside when there is briefing.

• 2 months later...

I rarely saw closed diving boats. Most here are open, so people stay outside when there is briefing.

sorry I missed your post, but it is still annoying, and while the boat is moving if you are downwind of the smoker(s) it can be very annoying. :realangry:

Just a bit of common sense and courtesy by smokers would not go a miss.:jap:

sorry I missed your post, but it is still annoying, and while the boat is moving if you are downwind of the smoker(s) it can be very annoying. :realangry:

Just a bit of common sense and courtesy by smokers would not go a miss.:jap:

Your right, the worst offenders are the instructors and DM's, at least here in Thailand. There have been many times where I was the only non-smoking instructor on the boat, (at least the only non-fist hand smoker.) I know a local Thai guy that has integrated a couple extra step into his giant stride entry...several last puffs and extinguish his ciggy. Just crazy because carbon monoxide and really cause problems at high partial pressures.

I think also a big part of it that the vast majority of instructors here are European, Japanese and Thai which tend to smoke more than some other nationalities, like Americans. In America there has been for sometime a pretty huge anti-smoking campaign going on. Back in the states boat staff wouldn't think of lighting up on a boat, but here it is commonplace. Ironic with all the "setting a good example" and "fitness for diving" stuff instructors and DM's get in the IDC. TIT.

Your right, the worst offenders are the instructors and DM's, at least here in Thailand. There have been many times where I was the only non-smoking instructor on the boat, (at least the only non-fist hand smoker.) I know a local Thai guy that has integrated a couple extra step into his giant stride entry...several last puffs and extinguish his ciggy. Just crazy because carbon monoxide and really cause problems at high partial pressures.

I think also a big part of it that the vast majority of instructors here are European, Japanese and Thai which tend to smoke more than some other nationalities, like Americans. In America there has been for sometime a pretty huge anti-smoking campaign going on. Back in the states boat staff wouldn't think of lighting up on a boat, but here it is commonplace. Ironic with all the "setting a good example" and "fitness for diving" stuff instructors and DM's get in the IDC. TIT.

Still, in the USA more than 20% of the population smokes, males more than females, younger people more than older. So taking that into account, one could expect a big part of the US Instructors and DM's to be smokers as well (2006 statistics BTW).

In the UK and Japan 25% of the adult population smokes, in Sweden only 14. So it looks like there is far less difference between the USA and (Western) Europe and Japan than you think. Thailand only 17% (I think of total population) according to these statistics, less than e.g. Australia and the USA. So somehow I doubt these, and many other, statistics.

Edited by stevenl

Still, in the USA more than 20% of the population smokes, males more than females, younger people more than older. So taking that into account, one could expect a big part of the US Instructors and DM's to be smokers as well (2006 statistics BTW).

In the UK and Japan 25% of the adult population smokes, in Sweden only 14. So it looks like there is far less difference between the USA and (Western) Europe and Japan than you think. Thailand only 17% (I think of total population) according to these statistics, less than e.g. Australia and the USA. So somehow I doubt these, and many other, statistics.

I think something is wrong in this statistics. I am sure that there are double or triple as many smokers in Thailand. From 10 males in my office, 8 smoke. We had a lot different people and it was always between 80 and 100 %. Might be less with Thai females in compare with Europe.

I think something is wrong in this statistics. I am sure that there are double or triple as many smokers in Thailand. From 10 males in my office, 8 smoke. We had a lot different people and it was always between 80 and 100 %. Might be less with Thai females in compare with Europe.

Like I said: 'somehow I doubt these, and many other, statistics', but these are WHO 2006 statistics.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother used to operate a 'non-smoking' boat from Phi Phi.

V annoying as a smoker. But it was only a small boat specific to a certain resort, so I bought a rubber ring and would 'cast off' on my rubber ring to smoke as I didn't want to cause probs for my brother. It gave everyone a good laugh!

HOWEVER, if another dive boat tried the same thing (we are out in open air - nobody is forced to breathe my smoke), I would find another dive company.