Driving License

Skinlog

Hi everybody, my name is Edgar,i am newcommer to Thailand but palnning to stay for a very long time. i want to buy a bike thinking about new CBR 150 or 250.it will be my first bike. would like to read advices about first bike. also i need help with Thai driving license. thank you in advance.

Warm regards

Edgar

Hi Edgar and welcome to TV.

I can't help you with the choice of bikes (but I have no doubt someone will) but the driving license may be easy.

If you already have a driving license from your country with a motorcycle endorsement (the part that lets you ride a bike there) and you brought an International Driving Permit (also incorrectly referred to as an International Driving License) with you, you are ahead of the game. That keeps you from having to do the road test and the written exam. All you will have to do is the color blindness test, the braking reflex test, and the depth perception test. Pass all those (they are easy), pay your money, and they do the license right then. Depending on where you are doing the test, you may need to take pictures with you. In Chiang Mai, they do the pictures digitally.

Hope that helps a bit.

David

Thank you David for your help,

actually i have international driving license but only for cars category B. i don't think it can help me to get the license for bike. :(

Welcome to ThaiVisa

in addition to already mentioned, you ned a medical available at any clinique at approx 100 baht

without a bike lisence from another country, you also need to do a written exam, 30 multiple choise questions in English, all answers to be found in a video to be watched prior to exam and on a poster with road signs. And a 5 minutes driving test any size bike. Easy, start 0845 done by lunch at approx 150 baht

If you should fail, new tests can be done next day for up to 90 days. You do not pay for tests, only for DL when completed

I can't help you with the choice of bikes (but I have no doubt someone will) but the driving license may be easy.

If you already have a driving license from your country with a motorcycle endorsement (the part that lets you ride a bike there) and you brought an International Driving Permit (also incorrectly referred to as an International Driving License) with you, you are ahead of the game. That keeps you from having to do the road test and the written exam. All you will have to do is the color blindness test, the braking reflex test, and the depth perception test. Pass all those (they are easy), pay your money, and they do the license right then. Depending on where you are doing the test, you may need to take pictures with you. In Chiang Mai, they do the pictures digitally.

Hope that helps a bit.

David

:lol:

On a serious note. The OP should start with renting a smaller bike to learn the driving conditions here. :rolleyes:

thank you very much,

and what to do if i don't have any motorbike driving experience? i'd like to have my bike and starting learning on my own bike. i am working and not have time to go for exam on working days,do you know are they working saturday.thank you in advance.

To Semper,

first i need to learn how to drive :D hehe after learn thai conditions :))))

thank you very much,

and what to do if i don't have any motorbike driving experience? i'd like to have my bike and starting learning on my own bike. i am working and not have time to go for exam on working days,do you know are they working saturday.thank you in advance.

To Semper,

monday-friday 0845

get a DL first with a rented auto scooter, then learn to ride. DL makes Insurance valid, and Police less problem

Hope that helps a bit.

David

:lol:

On a serious note. The OP should start with renting a smaller bike to learn the driving conditions here. :rolleyes:

What if hes a Big Man,those little bikes leave you stranded if your over 100 Kilos.:D

thank you very much,

To Semper,

Hence my suggestion. :)

• 3 months later...

I already had my foreign license for a car & motorcycle plus an International Drivers Permit. Below is a snapshot I took at the CR DMV on what was needed. I ended having no trouble getting both my Thai car and motorcycle licenses.

ThaiLicenseInfo.jpg