Property Ownership Here In Pattaya / Thailand

dandare11

Of course it was! Did people come blinkered,did they come blind ? not one bit. Are they bothered about depreciation? not one bit, for they know that housing will appreciate enormously. They came because of the welcome,the generosity of the locals,the climate and most of all the beef stew served at Seaside It is good when people cross continents to assimilate with others in a culture that is far removed from their own,sort of the old 49ers ,and the wagon trains of old.

I think all of us ex pats,who are here for a relatively short time salute your determination to overcome ,your open hospitality to a different culture and the endurance and fortitude that have carried you through,well done I say, I salute you,...me? I'm pissing off on Egyptian Air via Cairo to Spain tonight,but I'll fortunately be back( to do more packing)

Edited by dandare11

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much Baht did you lose on the sale of your place?

That is not the point,money means nothing when getting older and I am sure my sentiments are shared by others who own property here in Pattaya.Well done I say to those who made the commitment

Are they bothered about depreciation?

i am sure people do exist who are bothered by the depreciation of their dwellings. but then... only poor people -who consider the houses or condos in which they live an investment- bother about the values.

That is not the point,money means nothing when getting older and I am sure my sentiments are shared by others who own property here in Pattaya.Well done I say to those who made the commitment

I bought 6 years ago.Very happy and my wife will get the property when I am gone.

When I look back I shudder at the horrors of renting with no guarantee of permanence.

Money does not come into the factor although I am not 'rich farang'.

I Only know 3 peep's that have owned property in Pattaya one did it twice. ALL have lost money "load's" when they sold. Of course if it's Guaranteed Permanence, or culture your seeking it might be the way to go, so plod on, Oh enjoy Spain.

Edited by fredob43

I owned a Condo in Jomtien Beach Condominium for 7 years .I lived in for aprox a total of 3 years .When i sold this year i go my money back .( what i paid initially plus what i spent to improve ) .I was happy with that result .

I bought 6 years ago.Very happy and my wife will get the property when I am gone.

When I look back I shudder at the horrors of renting with no guarantee of permanence.

Money does not come into the factor although I am not 'rich farang'.

Guarantee of permanence = buying a home in the wife's name? I don't think so whistling.gif How long have you been in Thailand? whistling.gif

I bought My house or should I say My Home nearly 4years ago and in approx 4 years time the money I would have paid out in rent with have covered the cost of buying the House. My home is not an investment but rather a life style choice ...I would rather be slightly poor sitting next to my pool living with the sun on my back in Thailand, than having to struggle and make ends meet back in cold UK .

.The cost of living here still is considerably less than 99 % of all the western countries ........And I for one have nothing but admiration for the warm and friendly Khun Thai ....they have never been rude to me as I have always treated them with respect .....

I will live here as long as possible humanly possible..." LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT "

I bought My house or should I say My Home nearly 4years ago and in approx 4 years time the money I would have paid out in rent with have covered the cost of buying the House. My home is not an investment but rather a life style choice ...I would rather be slightly poor sitting next to my pool living with the sun on my back in Thailand, than having to struggle and make ends meet back in cold UK .

.The cost of living here still is considerably less than 99 % of all the western countries ........And I for one have nothing but admiration for the warm and friendly Khun Thai ....they have never been rude to me as I have always treated them with respect .....

I will live here as long as possible humanly possible..." LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT "

BINGO!

A house is a home......not an investment..............so what if you never own it and its in the wifes name...may not suit some but most especially those like me with kids see it as the best thing to do...........if you lost money, thats because you probably paid too much in the first place......and if you are going back to Europe and taking the money with you and still lost money, then you must be a gulliable fool that paid way way way toooooooo much, as a depreciaction of 30% in Euros means you lost at least that and more................buying makes sense if you do it properly......sod paying rent, the house I built has almost been paid for over the past 4 years with rent I have saved, so its living rent free for me from now on...and in a far better house than a rental would provide...gloss it up how you wont, most of those on here that are against buying is becauase they cant afford to.

BINGO!

Bingo? If he managed to do what he said within four years, his house must have been very inexpensive. Or, he was willing to pay much more than 99% of us are willing to pay for a nice place to rent in Thailand. Renting is often a very good option, for many reasons. Bingo!

BINGO!

Bingo? If he managed to do what he said within four years, his house must have been very inexpensive. Or, he was willing to pay much more than 99% of us are willing to pay for a nice place to rent in Thailand. Renting is often a very good option, for many reasons. Bingo!

The best reason being you aint got the money to be able to afford to buy :D

It's just that your post comes across a little bitter / sarcastic, so I assumed you've had to sell up at a loss to get out.

Probably got the best of both worlds,nobody is going to convince me in a million years owning property in Thailand is a good thing,do not care how much ,or little you paid ,you still have to get out.

Was trapped in another country by situation roughly as is happening here,but at least the house prices held up,bailed out with 3 xs what I paid for it,moneyt stuck here in foreign account awaiting for me to jump. When I see those Spanish house prices it looks too good to be true,up to three quarters off prices of a few years ago,and up for offers on that price.

Can buy there,rent it out and still come back here,no visa issues there,no 90 day reporting crap either. Thailand for Thais,never the twain shall mix

BINGO!

Awo!!!! May I suggest you engage your brain before typing !!!! Bought my house 4 years ago and in approx 4 years time .........4 + 4 = 8 (well it does in the real world ) .....But well done for not mentioning "real or estate" in a sentence only 29 more days to go .

i am sure people do exist who are bothered by the depreciation of their dwellings. but then... only poor people -who consider the houses or condos in which they live an investment- bother about the values.

You are forgetting those who do not intend living in the same house until they die.

I am interested in the value (or cost) of where I live purely because I want to know whether or not I would be better off renting it than owning it. And the answer to that depends on how much I can easily sell it for x years down the line, compared with the price I bought it for and what it might cost me in rent in the meantime, and what I might earn from the money if I do something else with it. Either way I will probably not be living in it indefinitely as I have other places to see before I snuff it. And when I consider how much the world has changed in the last 20 years I expect that within the next 20 there will be much better places to live in than where I live now, or where I did 20 years ago.

One person's "life style choice" is another person's investment, or millstone, or indeed folly.

My home is not an investment but rather a life style choice ...I would rather be slightly poor sitting next to my pool living with the sun on my back in Thailand, than having to struggle and make ends meet back in cold UK

Hmmm. How will you feel if they open a Karaoke bar or dog kennels next door to your house? Your "life style choice" could turn into a nightmare that you would be glad to get rid of for half of whatever you paid for it: if indeed you can sell it at all.

For every nice dwelling that I have seen in Thailand (and everywhere else in the world for that matter), I have seen at least 1000 that I wouldnt live in if you paid me to. And whilst places often seem to get worse over time, they rarely seem to get better.

I'm pissing off on Egyptian Air via Cairo to Spain tonight,but I'll fortunately be back( to do more packing)

Just a piece of advice. Don't rush to buy anything in Spain yet. The prices are still dropping there and are forecasted to fall by additional 10% by the end of the year.

My home is not an investment but rather a life style choice ...I would rather be slightly poor sitting next to my pool living with the sun on my back in Thailand, than having to struggle and make ends meet back in cold UK

Hmmm. How will you feel if they open a Karaoke bar or dog kennels next door to your house? Your "life style choice" could turn into a nightmare that you would be glad to get rid of for half of whatever you paid for it: if indeed you can sell it at all.

For every nice dwelling that I have seen in Thailand (and everywhere else in the world for that matter), I have seen at least 1000 that I wouldnt live in if you paid me to. And whilst places often seem to get worse over time, they rarely seem to get better.

I am very lucky I live in a nice quiet residencal area ...and the chances of a " Karaoke bar or dog kennels next door to your house" is vertually nil.( you do get what you pay for)

Plus the money I have saved in rent over the last 4 year approx. 2.5 mil baht (which would have earnt vurtually nothing in the present ecomonic climate) means I can reduce to price by 2.5 mil baht and not break a sweat !!! and every house in my area has sold within 1 year and nearly at the asking price ......location location location..

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I bought My house or should I say  My Home  nearly 4years ago and in approx 4 years time the money I would have paid out in rent  with have covered the cost of buying the House.  <b>My home is not an investment but rather a life style  choice ...</b>I would rather be slightly poor sitting next to my pool living with the sun on my back  in Thailand, than having to struggle and make ends meet back in cold UK .<br />.The cost of living here still is considerably less  than 99 % of all the western countries ........And I for one have nothing but admiration for the warm and friendly Khun Thai ....they have never been rude to me as I have always treated them with respect .....<br /><br />I will live here as long as possible humanly possible..." LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT "<br />
<br />BINGO!<br />
<br /><br />Bingo?  If he managed to do what he said within four years, his house must have been very inexpensive.   Or, he was willing to pay much more than 99% of us are willing to pay for a nice place to rent in Thailand.  Renting is often a very good option, for many reasons.  Bingo!<br />
<br /><br />Awo!!!!      May I suggest you engage your brain before typing  !!!! Bought  my house 4 years ago and in approx 4 years  time .........4 + 4 = 8  (well it does in the real world ) .....But well done for not mentioning "real or estate" in a sentence only 29 more days to go .<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If you want to avoid the subject of real estate in Thailand, why do you continue to post on the subject and compel other posters to do the same with your confrontational style? That aside, it is legitimate to interpret what was said as "within four years of purchasing my house I got my money back" (not 4 plus 4). So, it helps to be more specific when writing. Either way, the real estate market is crashing, especially the market for new and used houses. The condo market is doing a bit better, but it is also set to fall. I would never buy a house and have no desire to purchase a condo. I think in such a difficult market, and in such a unstable country, buying real estate is very risky. That is why I think renting is the preferred option for many.

You are forgetting those who do not intend living in the same house until they die.

I am interested in the value (or cost) of where I live purely because I want to know whether or not I would be better off renting it than owning it. And the answer to that depends on how much I can easily sell it for x years down the line, compared with the price I bought it for and what it might cost me in rent in the meantime, and what I might earn from the money if I do something else with it. Either way I will probably not be living in it indefinitely as I have other places to see before I snuff it. And when I consider how much the world has changed in the last 20 years I expect that within the next 20 there will be much better places to live in than where I live now, or where I did 20 years ago.

One person's "life style choice" is another person's investment, or millstone, or indeed folly.

i fully agree and that's what i meant when i stated "poor people consider it an investment" :lol:

I'm pissing off on Egyptian Air via Cairo to Spain tonight,but I'll fortunately be back( to do more packing)

Just a piece of advice. Don't rush to buy anything in Spain yet. The prices are still dropping there and are forecasted to fall by additional 10% by the end of the year.

Not exactly Pattaya forum stuff,but here I am in Salou on my way down to Alicante,bloody freezing ,robbed of all that Iḿ worth by the bloody Euro.no boom boom or anything like it,. Still looking at buying tho in Alicante cannot remain bad forever. Christ Iĺl look on Pattaya in a different light on return

Edited by dandare11

Hi. I don't understand why we regularly have this kind of thread :unsure: . There is nothing wrong in buying in Thailand if you make it the right way, and yes you can still earn money with real estate here.

My example:

I bought my condo apartment 3 years ago. I bought to live in; it's "my home". I rent in the same condominium during 2 years before I find this apartment. Good location; big enough; high floor; nice large sea view; ... Perfect for me :)

I bought from a couple of falangs who tried to sell it during more than one year at a crazy price :rolleyes: . They were at the end of their divorce procedure and had to sell it quickly. They sold it... at my price. B)

Knowing the price of last re-sold apartments in my condo, I would make a nice profit if I sell it now. :)

More, the € fell of 20% since I buy my condo. Selling at the same price and changing in € would already make me a 25% profit ;)

I don't want to sell, and I don't bought to make a profit but to have a place I like, a place where I can change everything as I want, decoration as I like, ...

So to reply to Dandare11:

"Property Ownership Here In Pattaya / Thailand.

Is it worth it?"

YES B)

Edited by Pattaya46

I've said here many times before, buying property here is a waste of time unless you get it for at least 50% of the ask by the agent otherwise you are being ripped off, people come here forgetting they are in a 3rd world country where everything and I mean everything should be at least 50% of the price you pay at home, if you see a house at 5mbaht offer 2.5m then walk away..

banglay, you bought a house and you say you lived rent free etc etc, don't forget to consider the risk free income your house price would have made in a high interest bank account back home, try doing all your sums and see how much you actually lost

people come here forgetting they are in a 3rd world country where everything and I mean everything should be at least 50% of the price you pay at home.

A totally ridiculous assertion :blink:

Why should gold be less expensive here?

Why should your iPad (or all imported devices/products) be less expensive here?

And more: looks like you don't know what the 3rd World is (or was)

and that Thailand is indexed as a developing country... :annoyed:

Ridiculous!

I've said here many times before, buying property here is a waste of time unless you get it for at least 50% of the ask by the agent otherwise you are being ripped off, people come here forgetting they are in a 3rd world country where everything and I mean everything should be at least 50% of the price you pay at home, if you see a house at 5mbaht offer 2.5m then walk away..

banglay, you bought a house and you say you lived rent free etc etc, don't forget to consider the risk free income your house price would have made in a high interest bank account back home, try doing all your sums and see how much you actually lost

And which country would you find one of them in???

Property Ownership Here In Pattaya / Thailand Was it worth it?

No idea about Pattaya, but to me would be the same anywhere..

Those of us that buy have intentions of staying here, much better to buy.. Rent something the same size as my Property in one of the Villages around here, by this time I would have paid more the the value of the new house when I bought it in March 2004... I do not have to think about rent next month, next year or 10+ years down the road.

So Was it worth it? YES 100%

should be at least 50% of the price you pay at home

I got a right bargain then cos my Jomtien condo cost me less than 10% of what a place the same size would cost me in my home city/county rolleyes.gif

should be at least 50% of the price you pay at home

I got a right bargain then cos my Jomtien condo cost me less than 10% of what a place the same size would cost me in my home city/county rolleyes.gif

Park Lane i think !Good for you but if you want to sell it at the same money you bought it for its not so easy .I am in that position myself .Patience is a virtue though and while i wait i do have it rented out ;-)