Bringing A Dog To Phuket

Anyse

I will be arriving in Phuket in August and I will be bringing my dear miniature poodle with me. I need a place to stay where they will allow a small pet or a kennel where he can stay while I am in school for the first 4 weeks there. I am going to be teaching English there and do not expect to return to the US. Please, I need this information and I hope someone can help me out.

Thank you.

Hard to answer this question as you have not indicated in what area you will be staying, what type of accommodation you want nor what your budget will be.

Many places allow pets, particularly rental houses. The apartments I'm in seem to have visiting and permanent pet dogs living inside with their owners.

I guess you would sort out any transport or quarantine problems before arrival.

I suggest you contact PAWS or Soi Dog for more information as I am 100% sure your dog will need to be quarantined. Both websites are readily available on Google.

I've imported two dogs from overseas and neither time were they quarantined. They had all the necessary paperwork and I used an agent out of Bangkok, so I'm sure some tea money went to customs, but they definitely were not quarantined. I've seen a couple of places in passing that showed they were dog kennels, but can't recall where that was. As mentioned above PAWS or Soi Dogs could probably point you in the right direction.

Yes, I do not yet know where I will be staying for the first four weeks in a hotel that an agency is setting up for me near TEFL classes. I will NOT have to quarantine him as the policy has changed in the past 6 months, which is why I am now scrambling for a place that accepts dogs. I want to also lease a house there when I arrive, after classes (if I have to do it earlier, I could, I guess), knowing that I can rent a house for about 10K BHT quite easily with up to 3 bedrooms. I also have a realty agent there with whom I am working. So, this "scramble" would be to make sure that he has a place to stay when I get there at 11:45 pm on the 12th of August. I bought the ticket last Oct and I am stuck with it as well. I have actually written to the Soi whatever it is via email and have received no responses from repeated emails. This is a bit frustrating which, as I have been told, is part of living there at times. Getting things together is a bit of a challenge for most of us, I guess. Thank you all, so far.

Any more ideas?

On Monday my little "Buddy" will be imported to Phuket. German father and Serbian mother. :Dpost-49171-0-31821800-1307157067_thumb.j

Lovely

Let me know if you want him to play with this 3 year old boy

post-81971-0-19349400-1307172826_thumb.j

OP, I travel frequently around Thailand with car and my Rottweiler comes along. Most hotels seem to have a no dog policy but accept dog to be in car/pickup in car park. When they see how well behaved he is, they ask him to come in anyway.

First start for a successfull hotel stay, is to make sure your dog is happy in a cage when you are not in the room. A quiet dog in cage in the shower doesnt bother anyone

Im sure you could walk a camel straight past customs and immigration, into a waiting minivan and direct to your new condo, and no one would complain provided you paid the right amount

Edited by snamos

I read the news last night that Soi Dog is in danger with a need for 5.x Million BHT to stay open in the future! Darn. Maybe I will have to do something once there to see how this kind of thing won't happen in the future. I do not know why the Thai gov does not really spell things out for people coming there ahead of time. They just changed the rules and now I am having a lot to do. Now, I only have PAWS to reach out to, I guess.

If anyone can find me a kennel or something like that there, I would really appreciate information on it.

Thank you again.

Edited by Anyse

Why would you come here and put your dog in a kennel? You might as well leave it in the US with someone who will care for it and then bring it out when you are settled.

BTW snamos...you are exaggerating. Remember the Savannah cat that customs insisted on getting a vet to check that it wasn't a tiger :ermm:

MissChris,

I have laid out the situation clearly above as to what happened. I have my airfare as well as Deate's paid and cant get a refung. It will cost $250 to bring him with me in the cabin. He is a "companion" animal (I am beginning to wonder which of us is the "companion" LOL!) and can't be away from me more than a day or so. I can go to see him at the kennel every other day to check on him and to spend time with him that he and I both need. To leave him behind would cost a complete round-trip ticket as well as another fare for him (roughly $1800-1900 PLUS the $250 already spent) and that is not a reasonable or practical choice. I did find a place for him with a "family" that runs a private place by recommendation of another falang who uses them when needed. The place where I will stay will not allow him to stay there. So, to mitigate the time, I may just go ahead and lease a house that allows a pet sooner than I thought that I would so that he can have a house with a yard. This is for BOTH of us, not just me. He is a timid fellow and is dependent on me as I am on him. We take care of one another as he helped me through a horrible illness and never really left my side for any more time than eating and doing his business. I owe him and he is my FIRST priority. He eats before I do. He gets various needs met before some of my own as well. His is an important part of my life as I am an improtant part of his. I feel that a "family" setting will go him well as he has responded well to assistants who have helped me and adjusts well to them. I will be with him the first day or so before he is left alone for a day with these people. Again, I know that he will get excellent care and that is what is important. I only have 67 days before I leave and I have a LOT to get done and this new fly in the ointment has been taken care of.

TO ALL WHO RESPONDED:

Thank you all so much for the advice and such. This forum worked to solve this problem and I am grateful for your assistance and advice. I especially want to thank JD for the great tip! Thanks again.

On Monday my little "Buddy" will be imported to Phuket. German father and Serbian mother. :D

He is sooo cute! He will be a bigger dog, I suppose or is this his full size? What breed is he?

Yes he will get a little bit larger. Here is a photo of Papa...post-49171-0-55136900-1307326613_thumb.j

And Grandpa...post-49171-0-99389200-1307326704_thumb.j

MissChris,

I have laid out the situation clearly above as to what happened. I have my airfare as well as Deate's paid and cant get a refung. It will cost $250 to bring him with me in the cabin. He is a "companion" animal (I am beginning to wonder which of us is the "companion" LOL!) and can't be away from me more than a day or so. I can go to see him at the kennel every other day to check on him and to spend time with him that he and I both need. To leave him behind would cost a complete round-trip ticket as well as another fare for him (roughly $1800-1900 PLUS the $250 already spent) and that is not a reasonable or practical choice. I did find a place for him with a "family" that runs a private place by recommendation of another falang who uses them when needed. The place where I will stay will not allow him to stay there. So, to mitigate the time, I may just go ahead and lease a house that allows a pet sooner than I thought that I would so that he can have a house with a yard. This is for BOTH of us, not just me. He is a timid fellow and is dependent on me as I am on him. We take care of one another as he helped me through a horrible illness and never really left my side for any more time than eating and doing his business. I owe him and he is my FIRST priority. He eats before I do. He gets various needs met before some of my own as well. His is an important part of my life as I am an improtant part of his. I feel that a "family" setting will go him well as he has responded well to assistants who have helped me and adjusts well to them. I will be with him the first day or so before he is left alone for a day with these people. Again, I know that he will get excellent care and that is what is important. I only have 67 days before I leave and I have a LOT to get done and this new fly in the ointment has been taken care of.

Anyse

I did not mean to offend. I'm not surprised that you and your dog are so close. My experience with kennels here in Australia is that they are not very nice for companion dogs.

My 87 year old Dad has a poodle, Fabio, who sleeps with him, sits in his chair with him, waits under the table for some delicious morsel to 'accidentally' drop. Dad is a mad Saints supporter. Been trying without success to attach a photo - white poodle with red stripes. Spectacular. He doesn't seem to notice. Not even the red toenail paint :rolleyes:

MissChris

MissChris,

Your dad sounds like a great fellow with a dog with red stripes (dyed, I guess?) and red painted toenails. Who did this for the dog? A friend or what? Nice friend, so it seems.

I am not looking and recently found a nice set of goggles and riding cap for Dante for the motorcycle with sidecar that I will be getting after I am there for a couple of months for local transportation. I, of course, will not put the hat on his head on hot days as this would not be good for him, I am certain. I can't wait to get pics of him in his garb in the sidecare. I will be getting a Tiger 120 cc with side car in yellow. Looks great and I have vertigo, which will require a 3-wheeled most of transport at a minimum.

Thank you for following up with a nice story about your dad. These are the things that make us oh so human!

Hugs.

Anyse

Edited by Anyse

I am not looking and recently found a nice set of goggles and riding cap for Dante for the motorcycle with sidecar t

Ughh.......must.......not..........comment.........on..........doggy-goggles.

Must............not............laugh.

Pain.........in..........chest.

Losing...........control.

Doggy cap.........must not think.............aggggghhhhh.

MissChris,

Your dad sounds like a great fellow with a dog with red stripes (dyed, I guess?) and red painted toenails. Who did this for the dog? A friend or what? Nice friend, so it seems.

I am not looking and recently found a nice set of goggles and riding cap for Dante for the motorcycle with sidecar that I will be getting after I am there for a couple of months for local transportation. I, of course, will not put the hat on his head on hot days as this would not be good for him, I am certain. I can't wait to get pics of him in his garb in the sidecare. I will be getting a Tiger 120 cc with side car in yellow. Looks great and I have vertigo, which will require a 3-wheeled most of transport at a minimum.

Thank you for following up with a nice story about your dad. These are the things that make us oh so human!

Hugs.

Anyse

Tiger retro sidecar is a great samlor, and looks cool in yellow. Using goggles make sure they are UV400, or your dogs eyes will be seriously hurt

My dogs love this one, singing and dancing when I pull it out, no goggles or cap tho

post-81971-0-27227300-1307421337_thumb.jpost-81971-0-22865300-1307421389_thumb.j

Anyse

Did it!

The poodle parlour did the colour. They have doggy day care there and he loves it. He's an old person's dog, so getting out and about is a bit of a relief.

Dad's a scream. Known to call 'Go Wendell' while watching a completely different code of football. Even after Wendell retired ;)

Bright blessings to you and Dante.post-118168-0-27088900-1307434220_thumb.

MissChris