A Farang Living In Thailand

Beetlejuice

The news today about the restrictions put on farang musicians in Chiang Mai, having them actually arrested and required to appear in court just for playing their music or singing in public, has made me even more aware of how much separated I am from the mainstream of Thai society and of a greater sense of not belonging.

Some may argue the point that these musicians were involved with what could be describe as farang activities and not Thai. But from my experience over many years in Thailand, I am seeing more and more restrictions placed upon us. Maybe reaching a level in the future where we are even scared to fart without permission.

Although over the years I have tried my best to become assimilated into Thai society, I have found because of the us and them attitudes of the Thai leadership and the Thai general public towards Westerners, that this is never going to be possible.

I still love living in Thailand and have a admiral respect for the country and it`s people, but I stopped living in a make believe Thailand some time ago and came to realise that how ever much I try, I can never really fit in.

Of course I was fully aware that if I came to live in Thailand I would always be considered as a foreigner. This did not bother me much, but every now and then I do get this yearning to bugger off home. I said it first before some of you say; if I don’t like it here why not bugger off home?

As I said, I still love living in Thailand and have a admiral respect for the country and it`s people, but sometimes, only sometimes, my thoughts drift back to home and a wanting to be with my own people and truly as part of an equal of that society.

post-110219-0-40232000-1307075795_thumb.

Maybe Thailand is fed up by Frang that will not integrate into society, farang who insist on living western lifestyles, refuses to learn the language, refuses to comply with visa regulations, etc.

Maybe it will be easier for us farang living here when we begin to correct us by the host's rules and culture.

Thailand has always had big problems with immigrants that cause the country great economic losses and crime.

If you want to make money here so you should have a work permit.

The longer you live here the more you realize that we will never be accepted as anything more than alien visitors completely different in every respect than a "Thai," from their perspective anyway.

Its frustrating because the more you live here and make an attempt to learn the language, culture etc., you eventually start asking yourself; "why hava I put so much effort into it?"

For me, I love my wife and she will always accept me, so its worth it; at least thats the best I can come up with :lol:

But when you see things like the music thing, and hear Thais say things like "I don't care if a 'falang' has lived here 10,000 years, they will never be part of our culture" it is very disheartening and dissapointing.

Of course I was fully aware that if I came to live in Thailand I would always be considered as a foreigner.

I have never felt any differently than this and never expect to. I am a foreigner living in a foreign land. It is our own unrealistic expectations that cause all the problems "fitting in".

But from my experience over many years in Thailand, I am seeing more and more restrictions placed upon us

Op. I think this is because Thailand is getting more developed, and don't have any use of

Farangs anymore, compared to say 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

I feel most of the time as an outsider but tolerate that for all the good things that brought me here.Just this week I had an eye opener of what people here really think of me. I take thai language lessons every night and feel my thai is improving. But every time I speak thai to my friends who are thai they look at me like what did you say and act confused. I feel I cannot communicate. Then last week I was in Bangkok and tried my thai on everyone I met and it worked perfectly I had decent conversations. I mentioned this to my Thai teacher.He said they probably look at me as their stupid farang friend and when I talk thai to them they just refuse to talk thai because they feel I am to stupid to carry on a conversation so why try. Nice friends huh. Gives me the feeling they patronise me rather than befriend me.

Maybe Thailand is fed up by Frang that will not integrate into society, farang who insist on living western lifestyles, refuses to learn the language, refuses to comply with visa regulations, etc.

Maybe it will be easier for us farang living here when we begin to correct us by the host's rules and culture.

Thailand has always had big problems with immigrants that cause the country great economic losses and crime.

Being a Thai apologiest is not scoring you brownie points you know....will not make it any easier for you to get a visa, but I can see you have intergrated very well at least in one respect.....blaming farangs for all Thailand's woes...

One of the flaws in your comments relates to farangs insisting on living a "western" lifestyle...but it appears to me that large numbers of Thai's aspire to or even live that "western" lifestyle as well...so are you suggesting Thai's are not intergrating into their own society ?

BTW...what time did your plane land yesterday ?

I feel most of the time as an outsider but tolerate that for all the good things that brought me here.Just this week I had an eye opener of what people here really think of me. I take thai language lessons every night and feel my thai is improving. But every time I speak thai to my friends who are thai they look at me like what did you say and act confused. I feel I cannot communicate. Then last week I was in Bangkok and tried my thai on everyone I met and it worked perfectly I had decent conversations. I mentioned this to my Thai teacher.He said they probably look at me as their stupid farang friend and when I talk thai to them they just refuse to talk thai because they feel I am to stupid to carry on a conversation so why try. Nice friends huh. Gives me the feeling they patronise me rather than befriend me.

If your teacher is correct, time to place an ad in the "real friends wanted" classifieds. Anyone with any class would appreciate your attempts to learn their language, even to the point of being flattered. Most Thai I meet do, it is only the utterly stupid, or stupendously arrogant that don't.

Of course I was fully aware that if I came to live in Thailand I would always be considered as a foreigner.

I have never felt any differently than this and never expect to. I am a foreigner living in a foreign land. It is our own unrealistic expectations that cause all the problems "fitting in".

It depends on what you mean by 'fitting in'. I perceive that I have a certain place in society in Thailand, and I am reasonably happy with that place. Similarly in every other country I have lived. If I'd wanted to fit into society like a native I would have stayed at home... I suppose it is somewhat strange that people who have no desire to put down roots or settle down might feel more 'at home' than those who wish to do so...

SC

F'them and the teacher.

Being a Thai apologiest is not scoring you brownie points you know....will not make it any easier for you to get a visa, but I can see you have intergrated very well at least in one respect.....blaming farangs for all Thailand's woes...

One of the flaws in your comments relates to farangs insisting on living a "western" lifestyle...but it appears to me that large numbers of Thai's aspire to or even live that "western" lifestyle as well...so are you suggesting Thai's are not intergrating into their own society ?

BTW...what time did your plane land yesterday ?

For my part could Thais living just as they would in their own country, and Thailand is a multicultural society.

Yes I accuse many farang to make it more difficult to live here. I have seen countless times how badly many farang behave in Thailand. Zero respect for the government and the people. I'm talking about expats, not tourists.

One farang who behave badly makes big waves in the system and destroys for those others who live here and behaving.

Several times I've been behind in the queue and seen farang argue with immigration, and it goes out on me when it's my turn.

My plane landed in 1989, can not remember which day.

I think this is the same in many western countries. :)

Edited by Semper

I think that educated Thais here in Bangkok love to talk to farangs if they have a chance, in English or Thai . I love my neighbours and I feel like I have been accepted even if we have different backgrounds

There are good farangs and bad farangs here of course, but it is the same in any country there are good expats and bad ones. It depends on what they can get away with.

It is not just foreigners who crave for western food, that is why you see the food in Tops, like Cheese, Marmite, etc. Or go into a Large Mall you find McDonalds and KFC, both western restaurants.

There are good farangs and bad farangs here of course, but it is the same in any country there are good expats and bad ones. It depends on what they can get away with.

It is not just foreigners who crave for western food, that is why you see the food in Tops, like Cheese, Marmite, etc. Or go into a Large Mall you find McDonalds and KFC, both western restaurants.

Based on extensive research involving Mrs Soutpeel, I can conclude that the only reason Marmite is imported to satisfy British expats...:rolleyes: ...she hates the stuff which I find quite offensive considering some of the cr*p she eats...:D

Thailand doesnt have big problems with immigrants...as I think the vast majority of expats living in Thailand are on Non-immigrant visa's, therefore they are not immigrants, and see as we are making big statements....please supply examples where in immigrants caused great economic loss and significant crime in Thailand ?

IMHO the biggest crooks in Thailand are those who have been appointed to up hold law and order in Thailand

Foreigners can't "integrate" into Thailand, you are always going to be a foreigner to the general public, and even to your friends. You'll learn.

Thailand has always had big problems with immigrants that cause the country great economic losses and crim

Yeah right...that's why half their industry is dependent on illegal Burmese immigrants paid illegally low wages. Nobody seems to be in a rush to send them home.

Foreigners can't "integrate" into Thailand, you are always going to be a foreigner to the general public, and even to your friends. You'll learn.

Thailand has always had big problems with immigrants that cause the country great economic losses and crim

Yeah right...that's why half their industry is dependent on illegal Burmese immigrants paid illegally low wages. Nobody seems to be in a rush to send them home.

Hey Einstein, you pointing directly on the issue. well observed :lol:

Thailand doesnt have big problems with immigrants...as I think the vast majority of expats living in Thailand are on Non-immigrant visa's, therefore they are not immigrants, and see as we are making big statements....please supply examples where in immigrants caused great economic loss and significant crime in Thailand ?

IMHO the biggest crooks in Thailand are those who have been appointed to up hold law and order in Thailand

Yes. As in any country.

The longer you live here the more you realize that we will never be accepted as anything more than alien visitors completely different in every respect than a "Thai," from their perspective anyway.

Its frustrating because the more you live here and make an attempt to learn the language, culture etc., you eventually start asking yourself; "why hava I put so much effort into it?"

For me, I love my wife and she will always accept me, so its worth it; at least thats the best I can come up with :lol:

But when you see things like the music thing, and hear Thais say things like "I don't care if a 'falang' has lived here 10,000 years, they will never be part of our culture" it is very disheartening and dissapointing.

The OP is speaking words of truth and so are you, Kurt Vonnegut, I mean, Kilgore Trout :) Many of us who have been here more than a decade sreally miss the past when xenophobia was not felt and it seemed like we were welcomed in Thailand. The welcome mat started going away when a certain nameless person (who has a square head) took control and brought out the worst traits Thais possess. That was a sad turning point in Thai history. After that the immigration rules were radically changed (why those rules were not changed under the new administration is a mystery) and "sanook" started being harder and harder to find. I know I will never fit in. Now I have desire to fit it :) This is the most xenophobic country I have ever lived in, and I have lived in many countries because of my job. But many farangs do not see the xenophobia, especially those who have no long-term perspective and have only been here a few years. All they see is what is on the surface. Unfortunately, the more the economy goes downhill, the more farangs will be used as scapegoats for everything that has gone wrong in Thailand. Thais really do not accept blame for anything, as far as I can tell. They rationalize the most abhorrent behavior, including stealing from farangs. Arresting foreign musicians for playing on the street borders on insanity--especially if they are not asking for money.

I like this bit Beetlejuice " I have tried my best to become assimilated into Thai society " it's easy if you do what you read in the second line underneath my posts. :lol:

I never think about it the way you are, you sound homesick.

At least one like you on every thread.

:boring: and :cheesy: are both applicable to your nonsensical comment.

you are too kind Robert :lol:

Many of us who have been here more than a decade sreally miss the past when xenophobia was not felt and it seemed like we were welcomed in Thailand.

I have been here 2 decades and can not remember a time when Westerners were not whining about the Thais not appreciating us ( cream of the crop that most of us are).

Actually, things have gotten progressively easier as far as visas and such, many more Western foods and entertainment staples are available and most Thais are as friendly as they ever were. As far as I am concerned, the good old days are right now.

At least one like you on every thread.

:boring: and :cheesy: are both applicable to your nonsensical comment.

you are too kind Robert :lol:

And this is all you managed to contribute with here, just nonsense! :blink: