Why Are Flights From Thailand To Germany With The Same Airline,So Much More Expensive,Then From Germany To Thailand?

Sandman77

Hello!

can someone explain me,how it can happen that a flight price from germany,with the same airline time and destination,is from germany so much cheaper then from thailand the same way back to germany,a kolleauge payes last week only 540€ with thai airways from munich bangkok and return,wehn i ask here the travel agencys in samui,,i pay more for a single return flight,that i need to book in aproximently one month,for a famely member,then from germany both ways!

only the thaiairways,and airberlin flys directly,i recogneized,if there no cheap promotion avalible,sometimes thai airways charge for a s single flight booked in germany the same price for one way then go and back!

for the single way i payed 300€ to thailand

600€ currencly the price in germany both ways ,but the problem,i need now a singel return ticket,the charge at the moment here in thailand 26500 thb one way to munic.and 44500 thb with return ticket,nearly 1000€ up tp 400€ more expensice,the other problem is,the thai travel agencys are unable to book the rail and fly ticket from here,now my plan look like follows,but iam not sure does this work,i want boook online the ticket in a german travel agency,and print the ticket out,normaly it should work,but maybe there is another .to find direct fights to germany,also cheap in thailand,what could be the reason that the price diffrence from the same airline and destionation is so high?

did thailand have higher airport tax then germany?

thanks for information!

its "Angebot und Nachfrage" (Supply and demand) simple thing ... teached in German Highscools in about 7 or 8 grade ;)

the demand on round-trips initiating from Germany is much higher (toursim) as it is initiated from Thailand (Thai Business, Tourism to Europe) pricing results the same way.

Edited by nullx8

First there is, as mentioned by someone, the fact of the different market.

Second, Thai Airways has an Ethnic tariff in place for Thais and their extended families living in Germany, which is a lot cheaper than their normal tariff.

This for flights originating from Germany only.

Hope to have helped.

To the OP, I wouldn't try the booking in Germany the way you propose, your bound to run into problems.

Yermanee :jap:

Yes, supply and demand. Witness the Houston-Bangkok r/t (via Singapore) on SQ as low as $1200 purchased from the US end but up around $2100 if purchased from this end. Now, is there a huge Singaporean diaspora in Texas getting a price break? I think the "ethnic tarriff" is the stuff of invention btw. There's just not as many Thai's and their extended families in Germany to make up a significant market for THAI. This goes for any airline, anywhere.

The OP really should consider getting a cheap one-way home to Germany and then purchasing his Thai round-trips when he is back there. You only have to suffer the inconvenience of (say) Delhi or Bombay airports once to enjoy the savings on more comfortable flights thereafter.

If you are not picky about dates, airberlin flies you to munich for 390 € or air asia flies you to paris for around 15000THB. Fuel prices has increased and may account for some of the higher price. Regular airlines usually charge more out of asia than in to asia.

Do NOT book a return-ticket originating in germany and expect to only use the return, they will cancel it.

Egypt air 390€ (and if you add 240 you'll get back to bkk too)

For a one-way ticket I wouldn't considere these prices unreasonable.

Edited by remiss

One-way specials currently on THAI website.

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi 14 Jun 11 12:25 London - Heathrow 14 Jun 11 18:30 Economy THB 13,130

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi 14 Jun 11 13:25 Munich 14 Jun 11 19:30 Economy THB 12,550

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi 07 Jun 11 13:25 Munich 07 Jun 11 19:30 Economy THB 12,550

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi 21 Jun 11 13:25 Munich 21 Jun 11 19:30 Economy THB 13,130

Go get 'em!

^ I guess you weren't ever a Boy Scout then.... Be Prepared?

By the same token, the THAI specials aren't anything to plan with and are more a case of 'Opportunity Knocks' sort of deal. I once popped home to Udon unannounced for about 600 baht. So it's worth checking on them regularly... and having a 'to go' bag packed!

Yes, as in the Houston example earlier in this thread; before I moved here from the U.S. I never paid more than 1000 U.S.D. for a RT ticket to Bangkok and I did it several times a year for many years, sometimes as cheap as $700, but since living here (7 years) I've only returned home to the U.S. once because most of the air fares are between $1500 and $2000 to the destination cities where my friends and family live. It's ridiculous!

Ticket prices depend on the season, among other things.

Stay away from the holidays, eg. August is awful but June is very cheap, X-mas is the worst. September is good and Oktober, but when the autumn holiday is on, say still in Hamburg, your flight out of Munich will be 350 Euros more than next day, when holidays in Hamburg are over.

Check a few airlines right on their webpages, eg. Etihad or Sri Lanka, avoid Air Berlin as it is something you will not forget.

Can you tell me more about Air Berlin as "something you will not forget". I have never flown with them. Are they in the same class as Ryanair or Air Asia?

Edited by blazes

Ticket prices depend on the season, among other things.

Check a few airlines right on their webpages, eg. Etihad or Sri Lanka, avoid Air Berlin as it is something you will not forget.

Thai Inter seems to be the most dangerous one. SomTam and maintenance and beeing responsible and all that...

Started off well enough and then the unsubstantiated claims against AirBerlin and THAI. Another armchair travel expert.

For Thai Airways, the high season for fares to Europe is 15 June to 31 August. Rountrip fares are about THB 1,000 higher during high season. For oneway fares, there is no difference.

The current rountrip promotion with Thai Airways to Europe (THB 23,000 plus taxes) is valid until 14 July.

If you book oneway to Europe, the taxes in Europe make no difference. There is no arrival taxes so whether you fly to MUC or ZRH has no effect on the taxes you pay.