If You Take Money Out Of The Equation

I am a retired American and I have been to Thailand three times in the last year or so because I am looking for a place to spend part of the year.

After reading so many of the posts about Thailand, it just seems that the focus is on money, specifically, how cheap it is.

I have crunched the numbers, and for me, I don't think it is that much cheaper. I like all kinds of foods, Thai, Mexican, Italian etc., and I have been to markets in Thailand, and the cost of a jar of pasta sauce is more in Thailand than it is here at home. I am spoiled weather-wise and hate the humidity so I would be running the A/C probably 20 hours a day. I would continue my health insurance here in case I had to get some major work done. The bottom line - maybe 10 to 20% cheaper, but not enough to make a difference in terms of quality of life.

My question is, if the costs were the same, would you prefer living in Thailand or your home country, strictly from a quality of life standpoint?

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right; it is not much cheaper to lead a Western-style lifestyle in Thailand than back home these days.

It only gets to be significantly cheaper if you lead a middle-class Thai-style life (Thai-style accommodation, food, etc.).

But to answer your question -- yes, I still like where I am (Thailand), regardless of the cost factor.

If cost were the only factor, there are definitely far cheaper places to live than Thailand. None that I would really care to live full-time, though, or where I could make a decent living and lead a quality lifestyle, though.

I don't think it is really any cheaper if you live a similar lifestyle to that you already have. Almost everything that isn't Thai is more expensive that back home. If you try to keep your house at a comfortable temperature throughout it will be expensive. Add this to the fact that you will be downgrading the standard of your environment a great deal and it does not really make sense.

I advise you not to make a move here based on a few visits.

I didn't answer the question did I.

No, even if it was cheaper than I thought it would be I would still be leaving.

Edited by Richb2004v2

To answer the question..No....

I came to Thailand 10 years ago to earn money....and nothing changed in that respect....once the job finishes here...which it will one day in the next 3-5 years...I am going home.

If Mrs Soutpeel had her way...it would be tomorrow and she is Thai.

I came to Thailand 10 years ago to earn money....and nothing changed in that respect....once the job finishes here...which it will one day in the next 3-5 years...I am going home.

My God...13 to 15 years in a place you can't stand, just to make money?

No wonder you're such a grumpy wump!

I really hope you've been making a LOT of money to compensate for 15 years of misery.

I go to a government hospital and even most major repairs are cheaper than a US co pay. I go to a good local clinic for any minor repairs and the cost of doctor and medication is about the same as a coffee at Starbucks.

I took out a beautiful young woman last night and had a wonderful evening for less than I would spend on lunch at most average US restaurants.

I took a air conditioned bus with music videos playing, had a party, met 4 new people and arrived at my destination 30 miles away for a dollar.

I live in a condo close to the ocean for less than I paid for maintenance on my property in the States.

The banks and doctors office are open at night and on the weekends.

If I have a flat tire I call someone up and they change it. If my GF runs into the cement wall by the parking area again a guy picks up my car replaces the bumper and fixes the cement wall in a day. I don't have to do anything except make the call and pay the bill.

Sure it has something to do with money but basically I am in Thailand for sex. I like Pattaya for food but didn't like sex in Pattaya. I like small town sex. It is more personal, less hustle, nicer. I don't much care for hookers.

So I make do with less Italian and French food and better sex.

For me the decision was simple. If I said hi to a stranger on a bus in Boston they might lock me up. Here, saying hi may be the start of a fun night or at least lunch and a nooner.

Add this to the fact that you will be downgrading the standard of your environment a great deal and it does not really make sense.

Depends on where you come from and where you intend to live, really.

I guess so. If you come from an Indian slum you will have a good chance of being in a better location here. However if you are from western Europe I think that you will certainly be in a less clean, quite, safe, organized and generally more chaotic environment. There are exceptions, but they are in the minority. You can be in a ghetto castle here but there will always be a slum, miles of broken pavements, and five people riding their scooter in the wrong direction without lights on, all within a stones throw. It's hardly paradise.

I don't think it is really any cheaper if you live a similar lifestyle to that you already have. Almost everything that isn't Thai is more expensive that back home. If you try to keep your house at a comfortable temperature throughout it will be expensive. Add this to the fact that you will be downgrading the standard of your environment a great deal and it does not really make sense.

I advise you not to make a move here based on a few visits.

I didn't answer the question did I.

No, even if it was cheaper than I thought it would be I would still be leaving.

Hmmm the car cost more than back home ... the bike ( little 'un ) costs less ..... I live in the north and AC doesn't make my electric high and I would be spending more on electric back home. I rent in CNX and my big 3br house costs me less than I rent out a single one of my 1BR condos in the US for .... My environment is far more interesting and I love what I do ....

I still get a big kick out of hopping on the motorcycle and exploring new areas and just finding stuff! Coming around a corner on my bike and seeing an elephant makes me smile even after 8+ years here!

Weren't you planning to move back to the UK more than a year ago? ........... How long does it take to leave a place where you aren't happy?

Add this to the fact that you will be downgrading the standard of your environment a great deal and it does not really make sense.

I guess so. If you come from an Indian slum you will have a good chance of being in a better location here. However if you are from western Europe I think that you will certainly be in a less clean, quite, safe, organized and generally more chaotic environment. There are exceptions, but they are in the minority. You can be in a ghetto castle here but there will always be a slum, miles of broken pavements, and five people riding their scooter in the wrong direction without lights on, all within a stones throw. It's hardly paradise.

Agreed -- if things like broken pavements and people riding motorcycles on the wrong side of the road are deal breakers for you, you will definitely never be happy here.

I really hope you've been making a LOT of money to compensate for 15 years of misery.

:lol: +1. :lol:

I like watching 5 people ride the wrong way on a motorcycle. Last night on my way out to eat there was a crazy homeless lady pooping in the French drain next to my driveway. I didn't know if I should say hi as I walked by, not knowing the etiquette for situations like that I kept quiet but it didn't bother me. I sweep up the lizard dung every morning because they eat the bugs.

I am getting ready to go to the Saturday market. I don't need anything but I like to look at the people.

They are funny to watch and interact with. Did you ever watch a woman try on a pair of jeans inside of a bag? The fat women are especially fun to watch.

And they think I am funny too. There is a day drunk Farang here who makes Donald Duck sounds for the kids, he is funny. There is a hi so lady whose husband carries her dog behind her as she shops and yells at him, that alone is worth the trip.

I really like all of these quirky things and when I get tired of them another quirk pops up to amuse me. I don't like order and rules. I never have and I am happy. :jap:

Where did I say I cant stand the place and living here is a misery ?... Thailand is neither the best place I have lived in/worked in or the worst its tolerable.....let me put it another way....once the day comes when I decide to retire will Thailand be at the top of the list to retire in..No

And to answer the last part of your comment...Yes doing very nicely..thanks for asking...;)

Edited by Soutpeel

To answer the OP's question, NO, I came here 5 years ago on a 3 month work stint (for a change of scenery) amusingly Iam still employed in the same position albeit now a fulltime employee, I'll hang around whilst there is a job, as soon as its gone so will I.

Sure it has something to do with money but basically I am in Thailand for sex.

A good truthful answer...well done, but believe you are in the minority as all others say they are in Thailand for the temples and the culture...:whistling:

:whistling:

It's all in what your idea of a "decent standard of living" is.

If that includes western foods every day, nights out in the bars, etc., then Thailand will be more expensive.

If you rent a house in Thailand in Bangkok, then Thailand will be more expensive.

I am retired now, living in Bangkok on a social security retiement pension of about $1700 monthly. Where in the U.S. can you do that easily and still have what you consider a "comfortable life style". Very few if any places.

I was last in the U.S. in October 2010 when I applied for my social security. As I didn't have a car myself, I took a taxi quite often...including going to the local social security office. The taxi driver was a retired man, also a Vietnam vet as I am, who I spoke to a number of times. He told me the reason he had a job driving that taxi was because,"These days you just can't live on social security here (rural Massachusetts area) without some other income". That particular area of rural massachusetts is less costly to live in than probably at least half the places you could live in the U.S.

But that's not the real reason I'm living in Bangkok. The real reason is because I have a Thai wife and a family here.

If I had to try and support myself, my wife, and my family in the U.S. on my social security...especially not having a house there as I do here in Bangkok (the house is in my Thai wife's name)...I sinply couldn't do it without earning an extra income somehow.

:rolleyes:

Lets modifiy this question slightly for our more senior citizens...If you take the cheap availble young subservient women out the equation...would you still live in Thailand ?

I have heard there are subservient women here but in six years I have never met one. Where do you find them? PS I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and numerous other places.

Lets modifiy this question slightly for our more senior citizens...If you take the cheap availble young subservient women out the equation...would you still live in Thailand ?

I have heard there are subservient women here but in six years I have never met one. Where do you find them? PS I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and numerous other places.

Have tried Issan yet...:lol:

It is a rather odd question. It's like saying if you took the sunny weather and nice beaches out of the equasion would you still live in Thailand. Or, more appropriately, if you took the attractive young women out of the equasion would you still live or visit Thailand.

If I could take money out of the equation I would live on yacht with a helicopter and flit around the Mediterranean.

However, money is not the reason I am in Thailand.

If you lived on a yacht with helicopter you would not need to be in Thailand for the "other" reason either.....:rolleyes:

I have crunched the numbers, and for me, I don't think it is that much cheaper. I like all kinds of foods, Thai, Mexican, Italian etc., and I have been to markets in Thailand, and the cost of a jar of pasta sauce is more in Thailand than it is here at home. I am spoiled weather-wise and hate the humidity so I would be running the A/C probably 20 hours a day. I would continue my health insurance here in case I had to get some major work done. The bottom line - maybe 10 to 20% cheaper, but not enough to make a difference in terms of quality of life.

If Thailand is only 10-20% cheaper you must have bought your California beach house 30 years ago because that isn't true now if you need to rent or buy. If you can afford to buy a new house today in most of California within walking distance of the beach the price of pasta sauce or air conditioning isn't going to phase you because you're already rich. Nor would keeping a 2nd beach home in Thailand for that matter. Where I'm from houses near the beach are $1 million and 3 blocks away the gang infested ghetto starts and you can't walk the streets at night.

Answer to the OP's question (in the title) ... "yes"

Me too.

To take money out of the Equation one way or the other doesn't make sense.

If you had more than enough money you could do what you want, if you ain't, then you have to take what you get.

Talking of only my situation, one of my reasons is I would not have had the same quality of life I have here as I would of done in my own country for sure.

My question is, if the costs were the same, would you prefer living in Thailand or your home country, strictly from a quality of life standpoint?

Home country, for sure. I do like Thailand, and I've loved the adventure. I'm still here because of the money. If I could afford the same lifestyle back at home, I would leave tomorrow. That's not possible, though, so I'll probably stay a few more years.

Can't really match "quality of life" here, much with anywhere else!

I don't like "pasta sauce" from the jar or can, no need for any imported stuff really, a well occasional some parmigiano for the pasta, but can do without... I make my own pasta sauce, if I feel for pasta, plenty and cheap incredients around, so is a vast array of imported pasta brands... I just love Kanom Chine (thai type pasta with curry sauce and loads of greens) so "Pad Thai", or Spagetti "Pat kii mau", or Tagliatelle with green Curry...the seafood is unbeatable, tom yum goong, tom yum talay, plah kapong kao nung, pla kapong deang tawd, goong yang, goong chae nam pla, tom chued plamuk ya sai, geang massaman gai, paneng nuea, the lovely fragrant jasmine rice, the gals, the Bib's and tickets... the sun, the skies, the beaches, the climate, low rentals a scooter less then 7 bucks a day (24 hrs.!?) a decent hotel from ~ 40 US$ a custom tailored suit for 80 US$ !?