Best Bicycle Shop In Chiang Mai?

properjob

I'm moving to Chiang Mai from Bangkok soon, and want to do a lot of cycling in the area. Can forum members recommend (or advise against) particular bicycle stores? I'm hoping to find a shop run by enthusiasts who know their machines, and which might have a decent selection of different styles of cycles and accessories, local as well as foreign-made, second-hand as well as new.

Any advice from fellow cycle enthusiasts would be appreciated.

pj

There's a great bike shop off nimahamin road about soi 15 I think. can't remember the name, but it's the best I've found. Hopefully others can give you better directions. Sell lots of bikes, including Trek, has a range of gear and clothes.

Sorry I can't be more help. There is another in Chang moi road, used to be run by a canadian a couple of years ago, but now Thai I think, don't know much about it. Just on the bend in the road, near motorbike shops, on the right.

Edit, tried to spell nimahamin correctly and failed I think!

Edited by msg362

There's a great bike shop off nimahamin road about soi 15 I think. can't remember the name, but it's the best I've found. Hopefully others can give you better directions. Sell lots of bikes, including Trek, has a range of gear and clothes.

Sorry I can't be more help. There is another in Chang moi road, used to be run by a canadian a couple of years ago, but now Thai I think, don't know much about it. Just on the bend in the road, near motorbike shops, on the right.

That would be Jackie Bike, 12/7 Soi 13 Nimmenhaimen. They primarily are a Trek outlet but also have a decent section of components and accessories. They carry bikes that ranging from entry level to very high end; both road bikes and mountain bikes. For serviceing of a road bike, you'll probably do as well there as anywhere in Chiang Mai.

For road bikes, people seem to say good things about TCA (on Thewarit Rd.) also, particularity about their mechanic. The carry Bianchi, Jamis, etc. The place is run by very serious racers.

The one on Chang Moi road is Top Gear. They generally have only a few bikes in stock; with an emphasis on low-end mountain bikes. Seem to have two employees there, one's a Thai woman who's in the shop most of the time but isn't vey expert about bicycles; the other's a guy whose their mechanic and seems pretty good but doesn't appear to be there full time. I don't know of the Candian guy is still involved with the place, never seen him thre. Top Gear's not a bad operation, but if I was going to be buying ofr servicing that type of bike (a mountain bike maybe up to about 15,000 or 20,000 baht, I think that I'd be more inclined to go to Cacti Bikes (94/1, Singharat Road). Cacti's run by a guy whose pride in what he sells and services is through the roof, one thing you know for sure there is that doing a good job for you is important to them.

I like the one in the old city about a block South (towards the Chiang Mai Gate) from the main entrance to the Rose Guesthouse. Good prices, good bikes and good service.

I'll agree they have good bikes & good prices but my experience with service, on several occasions, wasn't so positive.

I've had only good experiences at Cacti, though it's a very small shop with limited selection.

Edited by cm das

That would be JACKY BIKE and it's on Soi 13 off Nimmanhemin/Nimmanheiminda Road. Take your choice.

That would be JACKY BIKE and it's on Soi 13 off Nimmanhemin/Nimmanheiminda Road. Take your choice.

" There is another in Chang moi road, used to be run by a canadian a couple of years ago, but now Thai I think, don't know much about it. Just on the bend in the road, near motorbike shops, on the right."

This one is Top Gear and I highly recommend them for good service. Their phone number is 053233450

but if you go somewhere else one place I personally don't recommend is LA bicycle because they are quite the opposite-

i.e. awful service

That would be Jackie Bike, 12/7 Soi 13 Nimmenhaimen. They primarily are a Trek outlet but also have a decent section of components and accessories. They carry bikes that ranging from entry level to very high end; both road bikes and mountain bikes. For serviceing of a road bike, you'll probably do as well there as anywhere in Chiang Mai.

For road bikes, people seem to say good things about TCA (on Thewarit Rd.) also, particularity about their mechanic. The carry Bianchi, Jamis, etc. The place is run by very serious racers.

The one on Chang Moi road is Top Gear. They generally have only a few bikes in stock; with an emphasis on low-end mountain bikes. Seem to have two employees there, one's a Thai woman who's in the shop most of the time but isn't vey expert about bicycles; the other's a guy whose their mechanic and seems pretty good but doesn't appear to be there full time. I don't know of the Candian guy is still involved with the place, never seen him thre. Top Gear's not a bad operation, but if I was going to be buying ofr servicing that type of bike (a mountain bike maybe up to about 15,000 or 20,000 baht, I think that I'd be more inclined to go to Cacti Bikes (94/1, Singharat Road). Cacti's run by a guy whose pride in what he sells and services is through the roof, one thing you know for sure there is that doing a good job for you is important to them.

I purchased two bikes from the "Jacky Bike" shop, and also have my bikes serviced there, but this shop is on Chotana Road, not Nimmenhaimen Road,

BTW ... I drove along Chotana Road a few days ago, and his shop is still there and open, if there is also a Jacky Bike shop on Nimmenhaimen Road, then he must have, and manage two shops, somewhat doubtful, can anyone confirm this ?.

This website has a good listing of the shops in Chiang Mai, including maps: http://bicyclethailand.com/bike-stores/

OP: It sounds like you're talking about road bikes, right? Many shops here only do mountain bikes. There are some previous TV threads with opinions on these shops from folks who have been riding here a long time.

My personal conclusion after trying just about all the shops in Chiang Mai is that there's no single amazing shop with both great selection and great service. I like the service at TCA, but when I wanted to buy a bike in a size they didn't have in stock they said it would take 3-6 months to order. They also don't stock any Shimano, which makes it tough since 90% of bikes seem to run Shimano these days.

The guys at Spin Bike (down near the Night Safari) are serious cyclists and know what they're doing. They have a handful of used high-end road bikes sitting around, along with some miscellaneous high-end parts.

For parts and accessories I'd say Velocity or Jacky Bike (on Nimman) has the largest selection.

I purchased two bikes from the "Jacky Bike" shop, and also have my bikes serviced there, but this shop is on Chotana Road, not Nimmenhaimen Road,

BTW ... I drove along Chotana Road a few days ago, and his shop is still there and open, if there is also a Jacky Bike shop on Nimmenhaimen Road, then he must have, and manage two shops, somewhat doubtful, can anyone confirm this ?.

You may be right that's Chotana Road. I though that I copied that address off their website but perhaps not. Is actually just off Nimmenhaimen Soi 13, not on So 13; here's where it is on google maps (see the green arrow on the map): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N18.79614+E98.96837&sll=18.79249,99.005572&sspn=0.018039,0.033023&ie=UTF8&z=17

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone ! Is there any baby carriers new or used in these great bike shops of Ch Mai? I'm with small baby without opportuniry to search every spot mentioned here, so i would much appriciate your advice where to go to get babycarrier. I'm looking for one to put in fron of me.

Just visited Cherry Bike for the first time and found they also have a good selection of parts and accessories – probably close to Jacky Bike. Parts range from low to high end. Only a few actual road bikes in stock though.

This website has a good listing of the shops in Chiang Mai, including maps: http://bicyclethailand.com/bike-stores/

OP: It sounds like you're talking about road bikes, right? Many shops here only do mountain bikes. There are some previous TV threads with opinions on these shops from folks who have been riding here a long time.

My personal conclusion after trying just about all the shops in Chiang Mai is that there's no single amazing shop with both great selection and great service. I like the service at TCA, but when I wanted to buy a bike in a size they didn't have in stock they said it would take 3-6 months to order. They also don't stock any Shimano, which makes it tough since 90% of bikes seem to run Shimano these days.

The guys at Spin Bike (down near the Night Safari) are serious cyclists and know what they're doing. They have a handful of used high-end road bikes sitting around, along with some miscellaneous high-end parts.

For parts and accessories I'd say Velocity or Jacky Bike (on Nimman) has

the largest selection.

Wynzlo....I was going to add a kmz locator for TCA as it's so hard to find, but I see that website now has GPS coordinates. Very cool. TCA has rebuilt Fox shocks for me with impeccable results, but I agree that they take forever to get parts they do not stock. I tend to use Jackie and TCA for all my needs these days. I had one shop lace up a rear wheel for me a last year and it lasted two weeks. Jackie redid it with real DT spokes and things are good.

Hi everyone ! Is there any baby carriers new or used in these great bike shops of Ch Mai? I'm with small baby without opportuniry to search every spot mentioned here, so i would much appriciate your advice where to go to get babycarrier. I'm looking for one to put in fron of me.

I have a couple I brought back from the US...email [email protected]

• 1 month later...

any of you guys know which shop deals in Cannondale bikes?

Haven't seen any shops in Chiang Mai selling Cannondale. Only one I know of in Thailand is Cannasia in BKK but their prices are very high.

I got my wife to call them up and got a quotation of 45K for an XL sized Trail SL 2.. Pretty steep prices for a bike with Deore and Alivio derailleurs. Or is that what the prices are supposed to be?

Haven't seen any shops in Chiang Mai selling Cannondale. Only one I know of in Thailand is Cannasia in BKK but their prices are very high.

I got my wife to call them up and got a quotation of 45K for an XL sized Trail SL 2.. Pretty steep prices for a bike with Deore and Alivio derailleurs. Or is that what the prices are supposed to be?

Not sure if that's what it's supposed to be, but it's probably about par for the course. Cannondales appear to be a poor value in SE Asia compared to in the USA. They seemed to be marked up much more than many competing brands of similar quality. Don't know if that's because of higher tariffs or if just that Cannasia has discovered that people are willing to pay a premium price for them.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Not sure if that's what it's supposed to be, but it's probably about par for the course. Cannondales appear to be a poor value in SE Asia compared to in the USA. They seemed to be marked up much more than many competing brands of similar quality. Don't know if that's because of higher tariffs or if just that Cannasia has discovered that people are willing to pay a premium price for them.

thanks for replying OP. I think its the latter. they sell them as premiums and people are willing to pay. Just saw a KHS Alite 2000 for 24k which comes with shimano XT shadow (rear) and SLX (front)

Edited by tigerbeer