Unregistered Mobile Sim Cards To Be Cut On Nov 15

george

ICT to cut signal of unregistered SIM card phones in South on Nov 15

BANGKOK: -- The Information and Communications Technology Ministry is set to terminate a signal of pre-paid mobile phones that fail to have SIM cards registered in the three violence-plagued border provinces of the South form November 15 onwards.

ICT Minister Sora-art Klinpratum said the ministry needed to terminate the signal of the phones that fail to have pre-paid SIM cards registered in Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat from that date in order to facilitate the government’s measures to cope with the southern unrest.

For other areas, users of mobile phones with refill cards are required to register the SIM cards from December 31. Otherwise, the signal of their phones would be also terminated.

Currently, he said, the ministry found the signal of mobile phones in Malaysia covers certain areas of Thailand. So, it had asked local private mobile phone operators to talk with the Malaysian counterparts to solve the problem.

So far, around 10 million out of 21.5 million mobile phone users with refill cards around the country have registered their SIM cards.

--TNA 2005-10-10

For other areas, users of mobile phones with refill cards are required to register the SIM cards from December 31. Otherwise, the signal of their phones would be also terminated.

Well looks like they will be cutting alot of people off then!

Currently, he said, the ministry found the signal of mobile phones in Malaysia covers certain areas of Thailand. So, it had asked local private mobile phone operators to talk with the Malaysian counterparts to solve the problem.

Amazing ! They just found out that waves CROSS borders... Oh my...

<Admin snip>

Edited by george

I rang DTAC tonight when my g/f saw the story on Thai TV (tel. *1800). They told me my SIM card was already registered. They asked for my name, they knew the number I was calling from and said I didn't have to do anything. But I knew that already because when I lost my phone a few months ago, I went to the DTAC shop and asked for the same number, which they did by programming a blank SIM card.

I had to get a form signed and completed at the local police station first, and then the girl at DTAC filled out another form - clearly, the registration form - and wanted to see my passport at that time. A fairly painless process overall.

Nov 15 deadline set for SIM registration in three provinces

BANGKOK: -- The government has brought forward the deadline for owners of prepaid mobile phones in the three southernmost provinces to register their SIM cards with operators by Nov 15 or face disconnection.

Authorities cited mounting violence and rising use of mobile phones to detonate bombs by insurgents in the troubled southern border provinces.

The Information and Communications (ICT) Ministry had previously set Dec 31 as the deadline for the 21 million owners of prepaid mobile phones nationwide, including the three provinces.

Sora-at Klinpratum, the ICT minister, yesterday issued an ultimatum to holders of unregistered cards in the three provinces to start registering them from mid-October.

Owners of SIM cards from other provinces who do not register by mid-November but visit the three provinces cannot use their phones in the area.

Registration can be done at more than 300 outlets in the three provinces including mobile-phone dealers of the three major operators (Advanced Info Service, DTAC and TA Orange), offices of TOT and CAT Telecom and post offices.

``The decision came after we [iCT, mobile operators and the National Security Council] met at the ministry to discuss the progress of the SIM-card registration,'' Mr Sora-at said.

He said 7.01 million SIM cards or 33% of all prepaid SIMs had been registered since May 15.

The three operators had invested a lot in setting up substations in the three provinces to block signals to prepaid mobile-phone services there. DTAC alone put up to 30 million baht on the facilities.

The ministry had previously abandoned its effort to control and disconnect unregistered SIM cards in the three provinces since it would also affect owners of SIM cards in all 14 southern provinces.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-11

..and how exactly do you register?  :o

I just went to the DTAC shop where I purchased the phone asked about the registration. They pulled out and filled the form and I showed my Thai drivers license. 3 minutes and all done. A few days later the university started going around getting registration information so they must be taking it seriously.

I am curious..

Do they block international roaming sims in the region ??

Do they block ALL thai sims in the region (so you cant travel through without registering first) or sims 'sold' in the region..

Does anyone think that this will do anything whatsoever to restrict people having sims no in thier name.. they dont seem able to control illegal and unregistered firearms, why will they be able to control phones..

Edited by LivinLOS

I am curious..

Do they block ALL thai sims in the region (so you cant travel through without registering first) or sims 'sold' in the region..

Does anyone think that this will do anything whatsoever to restrict people having sims no in thier name.. they dont seem able to control illegal and unregistered firearms, why will they be able to control phones..

Well it is pointless - like I said I had mine registered in my gf's name. I'm quite positive those that want to use said sim cards for evil purposes will do so at any rate. I see this as a big waste of time, but I'm attached to my number so I dont want to lose it.

I am curious..

I am pretty sure they would only block unregistered mobile phone numbers issued by the approved service providers in Thailand. Many people travel to Thailand with mobile phones from other countries and are allowed to roam.

Associating a name, address and/or other means of identification with a mobile phone, number is common practice in many countries. For a lot of reasons, not just threat of remote operation of ED's, authorities want to keep track of as many details on citizens as possible. I do not like this prospect. However this probably has as much to do with post-incident investigations and less to do with deterrence?

To buy a pre-paid SIM in the U.S.A. (T-Mobile's GSM 1900 network) I had to show a picture ID and they recorded all sorts of information, but maybe not SocSecNo?

To buy a pre-paid SIM in KL (Malaysia; 3 months ago) I was asked for nothing, except the money. The pre-paid SIM can roam in Thailand.

To buy a pre-paid SIM in Singapore (M1; several years ago) I was required to show my passport and provide a local address (hotel OK).

To buy a pre-paid SIM in Australia (Optus; 2 years ago) I was not asked for any ID.

A friend bought two pre-paid SIMs here in Bangkok (Orange) within the last 30 days; he was not asked for any ID or required to register?

I registered my 1-2-Call pre-paid SIM at a Telewiz shop. I was handed the form, and filled it out (including my passport number) but the person in the shop did not ask to look at my passport or otherwise try to verify the accuracy of the information I provided.

:o

Ok, kind of off subject, but does anyone know if I can recharge a sim card by hooking it up to my computer via the data cable and calling AIS. I vaguely rememer reading it somewhere that if you have an account you can do this.

I live in Japan and travel to Thailand occasionally, and would like to keep my same number.

Much Thanks.

LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN YALA HAVE GONE TO REGISTER THEIR SIMS AFTER INSTRUCTIONS FROM PROVIDERS

A large number of people in Yala have started registering their sim cards, after the government had designated November 15th as the deadline.

After November 15th, unregistered numbers will be suspended. Service providers have already text messaged users.

According to sources at large mobile phone service center in Yala Province yesterday, people showed up at the center to register more than 400 numbers.

Most prepaid customers have expressed their willingness to cooperate with the government, to register their Sim cards so as to address the problems in the Deep South.

The registration is simple, requiring only the sim card and the users I.D. card.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันพุธที่ 19 ตุลาคม 2548

:o

Ok, kind of off subject, but does anyone know if I can recharge a sim card by hooking it up to my computer via the data cable and calling AIS. I vaguely rememer reading it somewhere that if you have an account you can do this.

I live in Japan and travel to Thailand occasionally, and would like to keep my same number.

Much Thanks.

There is really no money "on the SIM"... the balance is recorded in a database somewhere in the AIS network infrastructure. The SIM just identifies your particular account to the wireless network. Sorry I do not have experience w/ AIS pre-paid, but my sister-in-law topped up my old DTAC pre-paid several times just by dropping by a shop and telling them my phone number while handing over some cash.

If AIS can handle credit-card charges over the phone, they ought to be able to do this without you having to do anything with your SIM at all. Or, you could ask a friend to just pay cash at counter-service in Thailand?

The bigger question, is have you registered it already? If not, it sounds like it will be cancelled unless you get back to Thailand first.

Most prepaid customers have expressed their willingness to cooperate with the government, to register their Sim cards so as to address the problems in the Deep South.

Not sure how much "willingness" there is. It's not like they have a choice, is there?

Nevermind that it doesn't address the problem in the Deep South, it's most likely their "willingness" is due to wanting to address the problem of not maintaining phone service.