30 Days Entry Permit Passport Validity

"word of warning with Eva Air. My friend travelled to Thailand with them and he passport had less than 6 months to go before it expired, in which case you are not allowed to enter Thailand.

Eva Air didnt bother telling her, pulling her up on it. She was waved through. At Bangkok, different story. They refused her entry and she was put in a prison cell for 24 hours then deported. Eva Air did nothing to help and refused to accept any responsibility. beware"

lofus, Thorntree Lonely Planet Forum.

Recently I was trying to check if a passport valid for 6 months is required to enter Thailand Visa free for up to 30 days. I searched several Embassy sites, Thaivisa, Thai Immigration Police and found no requirement stated.

I can see why a passport with six months validity is required for a Tourist Visa which is valid for 3 months and lets you stay for 3 months. I can't see why it is required for Visa free entry. I also can't see why it seems to be such a secret.

My initial reaction the the message above was - why blame the airline? Would you similarly blame a train, bus or ferry? The fact is that airlines do have a responsibility not to fly persons without a visa or without being able to provide the requirements to enter a country - there seems to be a 20,000 baht fine and a requirement to fly that person back even if they cannot pay.

so my questions are:

1) Is it correct that a passport valid for 6 months is reuired for a Visa free 30 day entry? and if so why?

2) Any ideas why information about this requirement is not more widely available?

3) Was the airline responsible to check passpot validity before allowing her to board?

4) Has the airline a responsibility (maybe moral rather than legal) to assist in such cases?

If this has come up before - sorry. I did several searches to no result but this forum is so huge - nearly 300 pages!

"word of warning with Eva Air. My friend travelled to Thailand with them and he passport had less than 6 months to go before it expired, in which case you are not allowed to enter Thailand.

Eva Air didnt bother telling her, pulling her up on it. She was waved through. At Bangkok, different story. They refused her entry and she was put in a prison cell for 24 hours then deported. Eva Air did nothing to help and refused to accept any responsibility. beware"

lofus, Thorntree Lonely Planet Forum.

Recently I was trying to check if a passport valid for 6 months is required to enter Thailand Visa free for up to 30 days. I searched several Embassy sites, Thaivisa, Thai Immigration Police and found no requirement stated.

I can see why a passport with six months validity is required for a Tourist Visa which is valid for 3 months and lets you stay for 3 months. I can't see why it is required for Visa free entry. I also can't see why it seems to be such a secret.

My initial reaction the the message above was - why blame the airline? Would you similarly blame a train, bus or ferry? The fact is that airlines do have a responsibility not to fly persons without a visa or without being able to provide the requirements to enter a country - there seems to be a 20,000 baht fine and a requirement to fly that person back even if they cannot pay.

so my questions are:

1) Is it correct that a passport valid for 6 months is reuired for a Visa free 30 day entry? and if so why?

Generally a p/port should be valid for at least 6 months when entering Thailand.

For p/port holders of cerrtain nations. You did not say a) which nation's p/port your friend holds and ,:o reason for visiting Thailand. If UK-passport, it must be valid for at least 6 months and a visa is required. Only one exception: Visit as tourist when passport should have a minimum validity of 6 months, here the basic rule:

1. If holding:

- British passport endorsed  British Citizen ; or

- British passport endorsed  British National (Overseas)

issued in Hong Kong:

passports are recommended to be valid 6 months after period

of stay. However, Thai Immigration will accept passports

which are only valid for period of intended stay.

Visa not required for a touristic stay of max. 30 days if

holding confirmed return/onward ticket. Extension up to 10

days possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

2. In all other cases:

passport (must be valid 6 months beyond visa application)

and visa required.

2) Any ideas why information about this requirement is not more widely available?

Every airline and every Thai overseas mission can adv. on the requirement, same as travel agents.

3) Was the airline responsible to check passpot validity before allowing her to board?

No, although they usually do to avoid being fined.

4) Has the airline a responsibility (maybe moral rather than legal) to assist in such cases?

Moral responsibility? May be yes. But it is the travellers duty to make sure all required paperwork is on hand. As said, airline staff usually check for passport and visa, sometimes they might forget or are too busy.

Still, if fined by the authorities they can claim the passengers for damages.

If this has come up before - sorry.  I did several searches to no result but this forum is so huge - nearly 300 pages!

Above my comments in blue

Edited by Axel

…enter Thailand Visa free for up to 30 days.

There are three open questions and this makes it impossible to see the complete picture:

1. With what country’s passport was your friend travelling, i.e. was it with a passport of a country that permits visa-free entry for 30 days?

2. Upon entry, respectively attempted entry, was your friend in possession of a ticket with a confirmed onward or return flight within 30 days?

3. Was your friend asked to prove she had sufficient funds to cover the length of her stay but uanble to provide such proof?

They refused her entry and she was put in a prison cell for 24 hours then deported. Eva Air did nothing to help and refused to accept any responsibility.

I am unaware of an international law or agreement that obliges any and every airline to transport back a passenger from any and every country where the passenger is refused entry. Such obligation can only arise from the law or regulation of individual countries.

I googled with < +thailand +("no visa" OR "visa free") +"30 days" > (without the carets) and quote below from the ninth link given in the search result:

Thailand Passport & Visa Requirements

Passport/Visa Note: All nationalities require valid passports; it is recommended that they are valid for six months beyond period of intended stay. Travellers entering Thailand are required to prove they have sufficient funds to cover the length of their stay, and should hold documentation for return/onward travel. Entry may be refused to travellers of 'hippy' appearance.

Edited by maestro

There are two ways to gain entry to Thailand without having a pre-arranged visa:

Tourist visa exemption. This gives you 30days and can be done for most European passport holders.

Requirements: A valid passport from a list of 40 countries and 10,000Bath per person for living expenses.

And

Temporary tourist visa, visa on arrival. This gives you 15 days and is issued to some Asian and East European passport holders

Requirements: A valid visa from a list of 20 countries, 10,000Bath per person for living expenses and a fully paid ticket usable within 15 days.

According to the MOFA website ( http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php ) none of these two cases require a passport to be valid for 6 months. All other visas (pre-arranged) have the 6 months listed as a requirement.

Most, if not all, countries have a law stipulating that the airline is responsible for your repatriation should you not gain entry to the country of your destination. Quite often this means they have to fly you back to your home country as you may not gain entry again to the country you departed from. Even if it is the airlines responsibility to repatriate you it is your responsibility to make sure you will satisfy the immigration requirements.

This means that the airline can refuse to check you in if they are not satisfied that you will gain entry to the country you are traveling to. Note that the airline or travel agency has no obligations to inform you of the visa regulations. I frequently travel without return tickets and have had to sign wavers promising to pay for any eventual repatriation costs.

To avoid problems:

Always check with the local embassy what the requirements are for your destination country. Never rely on the travel agency/airline to tell you what the requirements are.

Always make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months until you return home. Many countries have this regulation

Remember that a visa is never a permit to enter the country this is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

Your four questions:

As far as I can see from the MOFA website this is not a requirement but then again it’s up to the immigration officer.

Not sure what you mean by widely available?? The only logical place to go for this information would be the local embassy and I’m sure they do have this information, you will not find it on the back of a Corn Flakes box :o

No, but they will be responsible for flying you back so they normally do.

They can be nice and help you but it was your responsibility to make sure you complied with the immigration regulations.