Thai Immigration Tightens Requirements For Retirement Visa Extensions

Whats confusing is that some individuals have an income but not a pension as yet.

So do they now want to see pension proof or income proof?

As many i know that are over 50 but under 65yrs don't qualify for their pensions in their home countries.

Private pension?

Ocupational pension?

Pension annuity?

Aren't those "pensions" just like the State Pension that you seem to be refering to?

Those are just 3 that spring to mind that qualify as pensions in the true sense

Penkoprod

Yes but what about those that have an income other than a pension ie. Rental Income as a landlord.

Would they still qualify on proof of income? with no proof of pension as such.

This is the parts of your post that led me to post what i did:

"As many i know that are over 50 but under 65yrs don't qualify for their pensions in their home countries."

And:

"Whats confusing is that some individuals have an income but not a pension as yet."

Point being is that there are more than one pension availible.

As for the income Vs pension question then i have no idea, sorry

Penkoprod

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone will clarify this. I do not bring money from my pension in each month, I bring it in a few times a year in $10000 lots. Gets expensive if I have to do it each month.

It doesn't matter how often you wire the money here, what matters is how much you earn each month on your pension.

One's monthly income whether from pensions or from various investments does not matter, and is not requested, if a sum of 800 K.THB. is in one's Thai bank A/c., Proof of monthly income is only needed when a sum 800 K THB is not available in a Thai bank A/c., that proof was accepted in the past with a letter from the Embassy stating that the declared monthly income was correct.

If the Immigration office now wants the income proof to come from one's bank statement, and not the Embassy, that would be no problem, it would in fact be a bit of a bonus by saving the expensive Embassy letter fees, bank statements are free.

Edited by personchester

Unless your lieing to your embassy its a non issue ??

All thats happening here is they want to see that what you claim is reality.. If no ones telling porkies then I see no issue.

Apparently, once again, people from Immigrations have been reading ThaiVisa message boards to find out which loopholes are being exploited. Many times when someone has posed a question on this board about proof of income or meeting the minimums, someone has responded that if you're an American (or someone else whose embassy uses sworn statements) that you can just say anything you want.

Same was true back when people were shifting bank balances around and Immigrations then decided to require money to be in your account for several months. The geniuses posting on TV would brag about how clever they were and that loophole was closed.

Anyway, as someone else said, the financial requirements remain the same, but because of a few dishonest people we will all have to provide more documentation that we meet those requirements.

I don't see the relevance of the comparison of a supposed average Thai salary of Baht 8000 to the Baht 65,000 requirement for retired farang. It may hurt your feelings to face the fact that Thailand is not providing a refugee camp for impoverished farang. We're welcomed here if we are going to spend money to boost the economy. Very sensible. Not sure what other countries are laying out a big welcome for foreign welfare cases.

Er - That would be Britain....

Unless something has changed beyond what's mentioned in the OP, retirees are not required to bring their income INTO Thailand.... That's only a requirement when using the 800,000 baht Thai bank deposits method to satisfy the income test. It's NOT a requirement is one is using the 65,000 baht per month of income to satisfy the income test.

So what the post is saying is, Thai immigration will ask for documents showing proof of your monthly income as stated in the consulate letter... proof that you really have that income.... not proof that you've somehow transferred it into Thailand.

And, when they talk about pension amounts as part of the retirement extensions issue, it's pension or other income of all the various sources.... There never has been a rule that says all of the 65,000 baht per month to meet the income test must come from pension sources... It can come from any sources... But now, apparently, you'll have to show evidence that the income is real.

Well in my case the pension slip is literally transelated to English. Its a pension slip there it also is staed which country paying the pension, my id number is on it as it is in my passport what more do they need. Noone without a pension back home get this slip. Impossible. Do they want it transelated to Thai...can do :(

If the Thai government don't want foreigners staying in Thailand, than why they just don't kick them out of the country? They need all there little rules and requirements to make life impossible. Its not a matter if foreigners are going to be kicked out of the country but its a matter of when?

The government like to create chaos in the visa application process so nobody understand the process or is notified. This chaos creates a possibility for the immigration police to abuse there power and ask for the extra "fee" when something is not according the absurd rules and requirements and to straighten it all up again. I guess the circle is closed again!

Edited by whitejaguar

Interesting responses to this revelation. Any US citizen (or AU/GB?) considering providing an income affidavit to Immigration without being able to prove it on demand was taking a risk. In my case, the USD has fallen enough in the last two years to put my pension (such as it is) below the 65K limit. I've had 800K in the bank here at one point, but have heard one scare story about money just disappearing from accounts. I got a shoulder-shrug from a Bangkok Bank rep. when I asked about account deposit insurance. I could have easily met the 800K deposit requirement, but what kind of ROI would it have earned? So, because of the retirement visa requirements, I've decided to push double-entry tourist visas to the limit.

Here are a few questions I hope can be answered by someone on the forum:

1) There was mention of a 'hybrid' bank account balance and monthly income arrangement. I had hypothesized that such a compromise provision might exist but had not asked Immigration on my visit researching the retirement visa. Does anyone have the details of this ... or is it back to Immigration with this one?

2) There was mention of a 'qualifying period' for the 800K on deposit. Does anyone know what the period is? I had a German citizen on the 800K deposit plan note that Immigration had somehow detected an emergency withdrawal that put the balance just below the 800K amount and he heard from them.

3) Does anyone believe that if the Thai average income is 8000/month, that has any bearing on what monthly amount they've 'decided' that farangs should have? I would hypothesize that it's an inverse relationship ... if you know what I mean. In any event, it should be noted that Thailand has not required that farangs spend that required income in Thailand. If a farang desires to live on 8000/month (i.e. less than the 65K/month) then that is not illegal ... yet.

4) Does anyone know what the weather is like in Cebu, Philippines these days?

Thanks In Advance,

Max

Edited by MaxYakov

I do not think there is really any issue with immigration asking for proof of funds, but the million dollar question is going to be what types of income they will accept and what types they will not accept.

I am not sure if this is going to be an issue or not, but does the requirement specifically dictate that it must be pension income or can investment income qualify as well? From my understanding, they will not allow investment income from within Thailand to qualify, so it is certain that they will allow investment income from outside Thailand to qualify?

Also I understand that some may use things like income generated from rental properties. Will they accept this? If you are considered a tax resident in Thailand ( I believe this is over 6 months) Would rental income generated from outside Thailand that is brought into Thailand the same year it was generated require the person to pay tax?

How about if some folks are using other types of income generated from some sort of work.... their embassy wouldn't care about this issue, but would immigration? If you are getting income from working overseas, does that qualify for a retirement visa? Will immigration say, how can you get a "retirement visa" if you are still working?

Or if you have a salary from overseas but live in Thailand 11 months out of the year, would they question how you can be working for an overseas company without ever leaving the country and without having a work permit?

Maybe there will not be any issues with the points raised above... but like many other things in this world, in principle it sounds fine, but the devil may be in the details.

Edited by CWMcMurray

"What if income is not pension income but investment income? To be treated the same way?"

Yes! -- Basing income on a "pension" is clearly a simple-minded ancient outdated concept -- What about dividend income from investments paid quarterly or yearly to a foreign account? -- how about annuity income or distribution from an IRA? -- A retiree drawing on savings?

Some immigration agent with a 6th grade education and an IQ of 70 is supposed to understand and judge a retiree based on all of those possible variables?

Hopefully, this ridiculous edict will go the way of the photo-copy of both sides of a credit card that was required a couple of years ago and lasted only a few weeks until someone woke up and realized how ridiculous it was.

Edited by SurfRider

Interesting responses to this revelation. Any US citizen (or AU/GB?) considering providing an income affidavit to Immigration without being able to prove it on demand was taking a risk. In my case, the USD has fallen enough in the last two years to put my pension (such as it is) below the 65K limit. I've had 800K in the bank here at one point, but have heard one scare story about money just disappearing from accounts. I got a shoulder-shrug from a Bangkok Bank rep. when I asked about account deposit insurance. I could have easily met the 800K deposit requirement, but what kind of ROI would it have earned? So, because of the retirement visa requirements, I've decided to push double-entry tourist visas to the limit.

1) There was mention of a 'hybrid' bank account balance and monthly income arrangement. I had hypothesized that such a compromise provision might exist but had not asked Immigration on my visit researching the retirement visa. Does anyone have the details of this ... or is it back to Immigration with this one?

2) There was mention of a 'qualifying period' for the 800K on deposit. Does anyone know what the period is? I had a German citizen on the 800K deposit plan note that Immigration had somehow detected an emergency withdrawal that put the balance just below the 800K amount and he heard from them.

3) Does anyone believe that if the Thai average income is 8000/month, that has any bearing on what monthly amount they've 'decided' to extract from farangs? I would hypothesize that it's an inverse relationship ... if you know what I mean.

Thanks In Advance,

Max

1) The sum 65.000 comes from 800.000 divided by 12, but to require 66.666 would be silly, hence the sum of 65.000 If you have proof of 40.000 per month you will need 320.000 in the bank. The trick is to make up a total yearly income of 800.000

2) The 800k must be in a Thai bank 3 months before you ask for extension of your retirement visa. If you apply for a retirement visa, meaning the first time, 2 months is required.

3) The whole idea with the 65k limit is to ensure that you can support yourself and not be a burden to Thailand. I doubt what somebody stated that the 65k does NOT need to be brought into Thailand. This does not make sense

4) Google it!!

It's totally crazy that the average Thai earns about 8000 baht a month, but they expect farangs to have pension incomes of 65,000 baht a month to live there.

if not for rules like this every old farang and his dog would be there. there defending there culture. as frustrating and strict as they are sometimes i can understand why they do it

It's totally crazy that the average Thai earns about 8000 baht a month, but they expect farangs to have pension incomes of 65,000 baht a month to live there.

A very good and relevant point which of course is totally wasted on Thai officialdom.

Even making allowances for a "western" lifestyle, the 65K per month is a bit of a stretch on reality.

I suppose that they're just making sure that farang retirees have more than enough to survive on (and provide funds for Thai family too) because if a retirees were to run out of cash then that would be a terrible burden upon the Thai welfare system and that just wouldn't be fair at all now would it?

"What if income is not pension income but investment income? To be treated the same way?"

Yes! -- Basing income on a "pension" is clearly a simple-minded ancient outdated concept -- What about dividend income from investments paid quarterly or yearly to a foreign account? -- how about annuity income or distribution from an IRA? -- A retiree drawing on savings?

Some immigration agent with a 6th grade education and an IQ of 70 is supposed to understand and judge a retiree based on all of those possible variables?

Hopefully, this ridiculous edict will go the way of the photo-copy of both sides of a credit card that was required a couple of years ago and lasted only a few weeks until someone woke up and realized how ridiculous it was.

What amount does the Thai immigration gauge the rate of exchange from foreign income to Thai Baht? The US consulate charges rates for services at the rate of 40B/ 1USD

I think that I will wait until we see what the actual requirements are from Immingration -- of course they may vary from region to region.

I do not see any real change in what has been required of me the past 2 years in Chiang Mai. When I go for my letter at the Consulate ( Canada), they have required 3 months of bank statements/documents to validate income. The affidavit which must be sworn at the Consulate swears that the documents are accurate and true; the affidavit does not relate to income. The Consulate calculates the amount from the statements provided, and then produces the letter for Immigration. The Consulate does not include copies of the statements with their letter, but suggests that you take copies with you to Immigration, and they keep copies on file.

Earlier this year, my letter was examined, and the Immigration officer then lowered the amount ( Baht) in the letter in accordance with her own 'secret' exchange rate. She then asked to see copies of the documents which I had presented at the Consulate. After considerable explanation by me, the documents were accepted and given back to me.

If I read the OP correctly, this is would seem to be the same process.

Edited by tigermonkey

3) Does anyone believe that if the Thai average income is 8000/month, that has any bearing on what monthly amount they've 'decided' to extract from farangs? I would hypothesize that it's an inverse relationship ... if you know what I mean.

Thanks In Advance,

Max

1) The sum 65.000 comes from 800.000 divided by 12, but to require 66.666 would be silly, hence the sum of 65.000 If you have proof of 40.000 per month you will need 320.000 in the bank. The trick is to make up a total yearly income of 800.000

2) The 800k must be in a Thai bank 3 months before you ask for extension of your retirement visa. If you apply for a retirement visa, meaning the first time, 2 months is required.

3) The whole idea with the 65k limit is to ensure that you can support yourself and not be a burden to Thailand. I doubt what somebody stated that the 65k does NOT need to be brought into Thailand. This does not make sense

4) Google it!!

Re: Number 3. Doubt all you want, but as more than one poster has stated, it (65k) does NOT have to be brought into Thailand. I have been here more than 8 years on a retirement visa. I do not keep the 800k in the bank but base my income on my pension. I use the affidavit from the U.S. Embassy and I CAN show supporting proof IF this is indeed needed.

In the last two years, I have not even provided, or been asked for, copies of my bank book by Chiang Mai Immigration. They have NEVER questioned how much money I did or did not bring into Thailand. It is not a requirement and never has been.

Also, I would comment that all this debate has been started by one poster stating unsubstantiated or verified information AND, as usual, a misleading topic title.

I was in CNX Immigration on Friday to do my 20 day report. They were jammed with people and all the numbers for visa renewal were taken for the day. With this being what seems the usual busy workload, I would think a sudden change in requirements would be creating more of a stir than this one OP, even if it is only BKK.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Unless your lieing to your embassy its a non issue ??

All thats happening here is they want to see that what you claim is reality.. If no ones telling porkies then I see no issue.

Apparently, once again, people from Immigrations have been reading ThaiVisa message boards to find out which loopholes are being exploited. Many times when someone has posed a question on this board about proof of income or meeting the minimums, someone has responded that if you're an American (or someone else whose embassy uses sworn statements) that you can just say anything you want.

Same was true back when people were shifting bank balances around and Immigrations then decided to require money to be in your account for several months. The geniuses posting on TV would brag about how clever they were and that loophole was closed.

Anyway, as someone else said, the financial requirements remain the same, but because of a few dishonest people we will all have to provide more documentation that we meet those requirements.

I don't see the relevance of the comparison of a supposed average Thai salary of Baht 8000 to the Baht 65,000 requirement for retired farang. It may hurt your feelings to face the fact that Thailand is not providing a refugee camp for impoverished farang. We're welcomed here if we are going to spend money to boost the economy. Very sensible. Not sure what other countries are laying out a big welcome for foreign welfare cases.

Er - That would be Britain....

Yes indeed Britain, land of the free (Thai) Free for all but the British it would seem, Now there is a humanitarian country, takes care of everyone but its own, heard the Thais were thinking of imulating the system, wait a year or two or 10. Nobody is a refugee here except those that are cast back out to sea. All Farang wether rich or not contribute to the econmoy by taking care of wife (girlfriend) family and his/herself, with his own money (big or small). Sick of the us and them attitude from ones own fellow countrymen, its not west and east that causes them and us its rich and not so rich. Discrimination is not always raciest but always blind

Whats confusing is that some individuals have an income but not a pension as yet.

So do they now want to see pension proof or income proof?

As many i know that are over 50 but under 65yrs don't qualify for their pensions in their home countries.

Well that might be possible because pensions are guaranteed, whilst other various incomes are not, but I doubt this is the case, since 'IMMI' check's income annually (visa renewal) and should one's monthly income be reduced, then problems will arise.

British farangs already have such a problem since the 'GBP' has dropped by over 30%. moreover, their pension gets no annual increase either, as a result some 'Brits' are now faced with a monthly income problem, choking indeed for those chaps here.

I think this part of the headline is misleading:

Proof of transfer of pension into Thailand required

Unless something has changed beyond what's mentioned in the OP, retirees are not required to bring their income INTO Thailand.... That's only a requirement when using the 800,000 baht Thai bank deposits method to satisfy the income test. It's NOT a requirement if one is using the 65,000 baht per month of income to satisfy the income test.

So what the post is saying is, Thai immigration will ask for documents showing proof of your monthly income as stated in the consulate letter... proof that you really have that income.... not proof that you've somehow transferred it into Thailand.

And, when they talk about pension amounts as part of the retirement extensions issue, it's pension or other income of all the various sources.... There never has been a rule that says all of the 65,000 baht per month to meet the income test must come from pension sources... It can come from any sources... But now, apparently, you'll have to show evidence that the income is real.

British Embassy wont issue a letter without proof. I use my P60 (end of year earnings) and my pension statement for the following year.

I'll confess to being one of those who wasn't entirely being truthful in my statement to my Embassy about my "income". My problem is that though I have a fair amount of money in my 401k and in savings, the amount of income being generated in these 1% return days is still negligible and I am 7 years away from being able to draw from my 401k anyway. And the concept of getting a pension is fast disappearing in the USA - everyone is being shifted to retirement savings except for govt workers. It seems to me just showing your wealth would make more sense than "income". At any rate I transferred 800,000 baht to my Thai bank account last year but find myself constantly falling below that figure as I take money out - so to really be safe one would probably need much more than that and who really wants to keep that much money in a Thai bank? But I guess that is what I will have to do.

What amount does the Thai immigration gauge the rate of exchange from foreign income to Thai Baht? The US consulate charges rates for services at the rate of 40B/ 1USD

Where did you come up with this nonsense? See link: US Consulate Outreach are charging 31 Baht to a dollar on June 14th.

I think it is totally fair, this thai is pays 1500 bht rent a month,never drinks beer that cost more

than 30 bht,pays his mianoy only 100 bht .........does not own a car ,motorcycle..........

and if he does ...he doesn't pay tax nor insurance........so his live is 10 times chaeper than ours,

so normaly we should earn 80 000 bht/month and not 65000 !!!!!!!lol !

I believe you have overlooked a few things: Thailand does not require that farangs SPEND any particular amount in Thailand nor do they determine how much of the documented income is ACTUALLY available to spend in Thailand. If a farang millionaire wants to live on 8000/month, there's nothing that I know of to stop him or her.

So it seems like an ineffective method of either preventing a farang from becoming a ward of the state or guaranteeing an increase in consumer spending from farangs. It seems to me it might have the function of ATTEMPTING to eliminate farang riff-raff from living long-term in Thailand.

I spend more and more like a poor Thai every day as the USD collapses.

Thanks In Advance,

Max

4) Google it!!

Re: Number 3. Doubt all you want, but as more than one poster has stated, it (65k) does NOT have to be brought into Thailand. I have been here more than 8 years on a retirement visa. I do not keep the 800k in the bank but base my income on my pension. I use the affidavit from the U.S. Embassy and I CAN show supporting proof IF this is indeed needed.

In the last two years, I have not even provided, or been asked for, copies of my bank book by Chiang Mai Immigration. They have NEVER questioned how much money I did or did not bring into Thailand. It is not a requirement and never has been.

Also, I would comment that all this debate has been started by one poster stating unsubstantiated or verified information AND, as usual, a misleading topic title.

I was in CNX Immigration on Friday to do my 20 day report. They were jammed with people and all the numbers for visa renewal were taken for the day. With this being what seems the usual busy workload, I would think a sudden change in requirements would be creating more of a stir than this one OP, even if it is only BKK.

This what the whole debate is about: "Proof of transfer of pension into Thailand required".

<deleted> is going on here??? can't you guys just get a proper visa and earn some money or have enough money in your bank account??? Get some style here and don't complain about some laughable 65k or what ever it is. You have money and that's it, you don't have it, leave, good night.

I am years from getting a pension, so this doesn't personally concern me YET, but I still find the news quite interesting.

Thailand has never before required IMPORTING any qualifying pensions. Only PROVING the pensions for those using pension income to qualify (generally the embassy letters have been enough, again these are not concerned with IMPORTING the money). That seems the potential HUGE issue of this news. If the requirement is only to show IMPORT of pension income for two months merely as evidence of the pension, that is not really the same thing as requiring that the ENTIRE claimed pension amount all be imported annually. Of course Thai immigration can do what they want, but if they DO mean they want to the entire pension IMPORTED annually, some more clarity would be appreciated. If they don't mean that, as I guess they don't, personally I don't see the logic in needing any proof on IMPORT of even two months. There are so many other ways to show evidence of a pension, such as an official letter from the government body issuing the pension, printed out online statements from our non-Thai banks of the pension amounts flowing into those accounts, etc. etc. ad nauseum. While I get that they don't want to make this too complicated for their officers (perhaps that is the logic for them) the requirement of required pension IMPORTATION has now been mixed with the issue of merely PROVING pensions. In that sense, I think this is definitely not good news ...

Edited by Jingthing

I am years from getting a pension, so this doesn't personally concern me YET, but I still find the news quite interesting.

Thailand has never before required IMPORTING any qualifying pensions. Only PROVING the pensions for those using pension income to qualify. That seems the potential HUGE issue of this news. If the requirement is only to show IMPORT of pension income for two months merely as evidence of the pension, that is not really the same thing as requiring that the ENTIRE claimed pension amount all be imported annually. Of course Thai immigration can do what they want, but if they DO mean they want to the entire pension IMPORTED annually, some more clarity would be appreciated. If they don't mean that, as I guess they don't, personally I don't see the logic in needing any proof on IMPORT of even two months. There are so many other ways to show evidence of a pension, such as an official letter from the government body issuing the pension, printed out online statements from our non-Thai banks of the pension amounts flowing into those accounts, etc. etc. ad nauseum. While I get that they don't want to make this too complicated for their officers (perhaps that is the logic for them) the requirement of required pension IMPORTATION has now been mixed with the issue of merely PROVING pensions. In that sense, I think this is definitely not good news ...

Seems to me you could get around the "import" bit by first establishing an THB800K bank a/c, drawing down on it as req'd up to 65K/month (this is allowed as I understand it), then topping it up to 800K at the end of the year.

Edited by OzMick

Going to the Ozy embassy to get your "stat dec" signed always required proof of income ie bank statement, letter from payer confirming information etc. What was the real kicker for under the table money was the request for the receipt for the money paid to the embassy for the stamp on the "stat dec"!!!

Seems to be a storm in a tea cup!

Seems to me you could get around the "import" bit by first establishing an THB800K bank a/c, drawing down on it as req'd up to 65K/month (this is allowed as I understand it), then topping it up to 800K at the end of the year.

You are talking about a completely different method and not relevant to people using pensions to qualify. If you can show 800K in your Thai bank account the day of your extension application and the money has been over that for three months (two months the first time) you are using the bank account method. It requires showing NO income at all, no embassy letter, just show the money. The draw down before the seasoning period is whatever amount you want, and it would be silly to create a fictional flow to fake a pension that you don't even need to show in the first place! If I've misunderstood your idea, sorry.

Edited by Jingthing

<deleted> is going on here??? can't you guys just get a proper visa and earn some money or have enough money in your bank account??? Get some style here and don't complain about some laughable 65k or what ever it is. You have money and that's it, you don't have it, leave, good night.

You're right... What is going on here? There is a requirement when you apply for your OA visa that you provide a bank statement and letter of verification from your bank in your home country. Once you come here and want to renew, you must either have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account or equivalent income to Thailand. It isn't all that hard is it? I can get a printout of my Thai bank statement and it will show that I do indeed have that amount coming into Thailand... Some say it has to be income to your foreign account. I don't know about that... The way I read it is simple. 800,000 Baht in the bank in Thailand for 3 months before renewal or equivalent amount coming into Thailand per year or a combination of income and saving here... What does immigration care if you make more or less in your country, as long as you bring X amount into the Thailand?

Thailand has never before required IMPORTING any qualifying pensions. Only PROVING the pensions for those using pension income to qualify. That seems the potential HUGE issue of this news. If the requirement is only to show IMPORT of pension income for two months merely as evidence of the pension, that is not really the same thing as requiring that the ENTIRE claimed pension amount all be imported annually. Of course Thai immigration can do what they want, but if they DO mean they want to the entire pension IMPORTED annually, some more clarity would be appreciated. If they don't mean that, as I guess they don't, personally I don't see the logic in needing any proof on IMPORT of even two months. There are so many other ways to show evidence of a pension, such as an official letter from the government body issuing the pension, printed out online statements from our non-Thai banks of the pension amounts flowing into those accounts, etc. etc. ad nauseum. While I get that they don't want to make this too complicated for their officers (perhaps that is the logic for them) the requirement of required pension IMPORTATION has now been mixed with the issue of merely PROVING pensions. In that sense, I think this is definitely not good news ...

That is exactly what I and many with me are doing. The 800k only needs to be in the account 90 days before you apply for extension. The rest of the year, the money is used to live on and then 3 months before extension, top up so you have the required 800k at the day of the application for extension.

I believe the reason for the proof of importation is to nail those who make false statements and actually do not have an income of 65k but probably work illegally.

Boy I am in a pickle... I just came home to the U.S. for my mom's birthday party. Am planning to stay for 3 months and do some repairs on my home here and cars and such. My retirement visa expires on the 14/th of Sept. and I am due back on Aug. 25th. I do not even have a bank account in Thailand. Personally, I think banking in Thailand is a rip off. So if I have to prove 65,000 baht in a bank for 2 months I am out of luck? Proving an income of 65,000 baht a month is easy. One pension is $1448 dollars and one is $1000 dollars in dividends. I am wondering if they will take a bank statement from the U.S. showing a total deposit of $2448 per month. If so i will bring a bank statement with me showing the deposits. If not I guess there will be a woman in Thailand verrrry unhappy. When her money dries up and I am kicked out of the country. I for one will never transfer 800,000 baht into a Thai bank. Or any amount into a Thai bank for that matter.

Screw Thailand. It is a good place for retirement but the asian countries are coming of age. It is a matter of time before all retires will be held pretty close to the fire. The glory day's are over for good guys..

I hope all you guys kept a home in your country and at least one vehicle. I did and I have said many times. When Thailand really starts coming of age. There will be many farang booted out of Thailand. It will come in small steps. Until all farang there are either wealthy or GONE. The middle class farang will not have a place in Asia. As the economy keeps growing and the developed nations keep contracting. It is just a matter of time.

Edited by garyk

Well, said Beach-----I do not consider 800,000bt to be an extreme amount for being accepted here as a retiree. If you cannot afford to have that amount permanently in your a/c then you should not consider comeing here. I consider it to be a small price to pay for exchangeing a stressful life in another country for a extremely happy time int the land of smiles. Sorry guys but nothing in this life is free,but life here can be wonderful if you obey the rules.I reort every 90 days.Get a warm welcome and a smile,and once a yr give them a up to date a/c figure over the 800,00 and with another smile i walk mout. EASY