New Requirement For Retirement Extention

I just got back from Immigration. I was there to do my annual renewal of my Non 0 Retirement extension. It seems the Immigration Dept no longer accepts at face value the notarized letter from the US embassy stating my monthly income. The official looked at it and laughed. I was prepared with copies of bank statements showing regular income deposits from a couple of sources. Phuket Immigration wanted a copy of a credit card to "show that I spent money here". His words, not mine. Your requirements may vary, depending on which individual you happen to get at the office.

They want copy of front of ATM card to see how you extract your 65,000 baht from it's source and into The Kingdom !!

Whether you use that card or not is immaterial, but it ticks the correct box for them.jap.gif

Most immigration offices in that case also want a copy of your bank book. If you don't have a Thai bank account, copies of ATM slips are also accepted.

Suspect this will be the case in Phuket too (or will be soon).

Most immigration offices in that case also want a copy of your bank book. If you don't have a Thai bank account, copies of ATM slips are also accepted.

Currently only want to see bank book if using money in bank - if using consulate letter for 100% of funds no need to show bank book jap.gif

Edited by terak69

Currently only want to see bank book if using money in bank - if using consulate letter for 100% of funds no need to show bank book jap.gif

Not true at Phuket Immigration. They want additional proof you spend money here. The consulate letter alone is not sufficient.

They want copy of front of ATM card to see how you extract your 65,000 baht from it's source and into The Kingdom !!

Whether you use that card or not is immaterial, but it ticks the correct box for them.jap.gif

terah69 =4474091biggrin.gif please note the requirements for a retirement visa changed some years back deposit in bank 400,000 income to thailand monthly 40,000 total 800.000, it is the same as married just did mine for the year[ married as well as retired] showed deposit 400.000 been in a thai bank for ten years and income to thai bank 40,000 per month there are of course other requirements needing to show income only 65000 per month

plus should it be of interest [ i do have another 400,000'

but chose to go with the change some years back to be able to invest the other half and earn a decent interest instead of dead money ] I did not have to show my uk bank card ?? last week

I also have an atm card for the deposit 400.000 both accounts are VISA so one can use the Thai bank cards around the world, but i do lose out on interest ,smile.gifbut prefer to be able to control =My money

happy to be here biggrin.gif I just stay out of the bars and away from bar people flectch

terah69 =4474091biggrin.gif please note the requirements for a retirement visa changed some years back deposit in bank 400,000 income to thailand monthly 40,000 total 800.000, it is the same as married just did mine for the year[ married as well as retired] showed deposit 400.000 been in a thai bank for ten years and income to thai bank 40,000 per month there are of course other requirements needing to show income only 65000 per month

plus should it be of interest [ i do have another 400,000'

but chose to go with the change some years back to be able to invest the other half and earn a decent interest instead of dead money ] I did not have to show my uk bank card ?? last week

I also have an atm card for the deposit 400.000 both accounts are VISA so one can use the Thai bank cards around the world, but i do lose out on interest ,smile.gifbut prefer to be able to control =My money

happy to be here biggrin.gif I just stay out of the bars and away from bar people flectch

Didn't understand a word of that - sorry jap.gif

Retirement extension of stay requires 65k income or 800k in bank account 2/3 months or a combination meeting 800k total.

Marriage extension of stay requires 40k income or 400k in bank 2 months.

Retirement extension of stay requires 65k income or 800k in bank account 2/3 months or a combination meeting 800k total.

Marriage extension of stay requires 40k income or 400k in bank 2 months.

Isn't marriage renewal 3 months as well ?? jap.gif

Can it be a joint account with my name and my wife's name on it?

Only if you have twice the required money in it - immigration class the money as half half - the wife classes it as hers !!! laugh.gif hmmmmmm !!! jap.gif

Marriage requirement is 2 months in account prior to application (first or later).

Money needs to be in the name of applicant so joint accounts do not seem to work anymore. Although have not seen much recent reporting.

Not true at Phuket Immigration. They want additional proof you spend money here. The consulate letter alone is not sufficient.

I renewed my retirement visa in early March. Used consulate letter for 100% of funds and still had to get letter from bank showing balance along with copy of bank book. This was in pattaya.

I renewed my retirement visa in early March. Used consulate letter for 100% of funds and still had to get letter from bank showing balance along with copy of bank book. This was in pattaya.

Pattaya - Phuket - Bangkok - - - - same same but different - we should know by now !! jap.gif

Edited by terak69

Pattaya - Phuket - Bangkok - - - - same same but different - we should know by now !! jap.gif

True... I went to Phuket Immigration on April 28th and used a US Embassy letter for income. They have required a copy of an ATM card, front and back for at least about a year as I had to get a copy at the office last year, so it's not a new requirement. The year before it was not required... This year I copied the ATM card and blacked out my security code on the back of the ATM card copy. As mentioned, they said they want to see that you can get your money here... I have brought Thai bank statements in the past, but they never want to look at them with an Embassy letter. Let us know if this changes, as I recently read a thread George posted about this. Something from one of his legal sponsors saying US, Canadian and Aussie citizens may require more proof as their Embassies don't require proof of income to get an income letter... The head of the Phuket Immigration Office whom I talked to on April 28th said nothing about any new requirements. She asked if I could come back later as it was more than 45 days before my extension expires. I was leaving for 2 months and would be gone on my renewal day. I showed her my airline ticket and she said China Airlines doesn't have any authority. But I explained to her very nicely my situation and she said okay this time... We'll see what they come up with next year. Even an Immigration officer I know there jokes about the requirements changing every year!

True... I went to Phuket Immigration on April 28th and used a US Embassy letter for income. They have required a copy of an ATM card, front and back for at least about a year as I had to get a copy at the office last year, so it's not a new requirement. The year before it was not required... This year I copied the ATM card and blacked out my security code on the back of the ATM card copy. As mentioned, they said they want to see that you can get your money here... I have brought Thai bank statements in the past, but they never want to look at them with an Embassy letter. Let us know if this changes, as I recently read a thread George posted about this. Something from one of his legal sponsors saying US, Canadian and Aussie citizens may require more proof as their Embassies don't require proof of income to get an income letter... The head of the Phuket Immigration Office whom I talked to on April 28th said nothing about any new requirements. She asked if I could come back later as it was more than 45 days before my extension expires. I was leaving for 2 months and would be gone on my renewal day. I showed her my airline ticket and she said China Airlines doesn't have any authority. But I explained to her very nicely my situation and she said okay this time... We'll see what they come up with next year. Even an Immigration officer I know there jokes about the requirements changing every year!

You should only have to photocopy the front of the ATM card jap.gif

Acttually the official requirements haven't changed in a number of years. What the immigration offices may require is another story all together

Can it be a joint account with my name and my wife's name on it?

Only if you have twice the required money in it - immigration class the money as half half - the wife classes it as hers !!! laugh.gif hmmmmmm !!! jap.gif

For our first two retirement extensions at Bangkok, my wife and I, both British citizens over 50, used a joint account, with more than 1,600,000 baht in it. Immigration told us that in future we would need sole accounts, as joint accounts were no longer acceptable at CW.

Hope this helps

Alan

Note that it is possible for one of you to be a dependent of the other in case you are married. In that case only one of you needs to apply based on retirement and show the required funds. The other spouse only needs to show proof of marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

Marriage requirement is 2 months in account prior to application (first or later).

Money needs to be in the name of applicant so joint accounts do not seem to work anymore. Although have not seen much recent reporting.

2 months in your bank account for the first extension and 3 months for the other extensions. ( for both the retirement and marriage extensions )

Phuket does indeed not require any additional proof of income for US, Canadian and Aussie people.

But I think it is a matter of time before they start asking for extra proof as the Embassy statement are basically worthless as you can say whatever you want about your income.

BTW, The embassy of the Netherlands is also changing to the US system of income certifications letters and therefore also the Dutch citizens can be asked for extra proof of income in the near future.

And Phuket only requires the front side of your ATM card to be copied.

Above may be policy in Phuket (but question when last required as current policy is two months for all marriage most places) using bank deposit per Police Order 777/2551.

Embassy letter of income is a legal document signed under oath before an official or your home government and could involve serious consequences for signer if information were proven to be knowingly false.

Nice little Credit Card Scam.......

Just give them an extra credit card for your account to use as they see fit..........:passifier: